Maybe I don't understand the point of Desktop Manager, but I thought it basically saves the data on your phone to a file on your computer. But what program should the file be opened with? I just get gibberish when I try to open it with Word and similar type programs. Am I supposed to be able to open the file in DM itself, and if so how do I do that?

If not, what am I doing wrong and how do I view the files that I am backing up?
    03-17-10 03:26 AM
    You're slightly misunderstanding the purpose of a Desktop Manager backup. A backup file is not intended to be opened or manipulated by a user. It's just used to restore your info on your BlackBerry, if you lose the data on your BlackBerry for any reason. If you want to add to or edit the information on your BlackBerry using a PC, Desktop Manager allows you to sync your BlackBerry files to Outlook. You can then use Outlook to add/delete/edit contacts, calendar appointments, etc.

If you need to open a backup file, ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor will let you. It has a free trial if you just want to see what is in your backup. It's a powerful utility, but it isn't needed for normal use of a backup.
    03-17-10 10:31 AM
    You're slightly misunderstanding the purpose of a Desktop Manager backup. A backup file is not intended to be opened or manipulated by a user. It's just used to restore your info on your BlackBerry, if you lose the data on your BlackBerry for any reason. If you want to add to or edit the information on your BlackBerry using a PC, Desktop Manager allows you to sync your BlackBerry files to Outlook. You can then use Outlook to add/delete/edit contacts, calendar appointments, etc.

If you need to open a backup file, ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor will let you. It has a free trial if you just want to see what is in your backup. It's a powerful utility, but it isn't needed for normal use of a backup.
    ty for responding

What does sync to outlook mean? When I try to open with outlook I am unable to.
    03-17-10 11:19 AM
    You can't open a backup file with Outlook. I assume you have Desktop Manager running on your PC since you have made a backup. On the Desktop Manager main screen, click the Synchronize button to set up the synchronization of info between your Tour and Outlook. The default settings will all work.
    03-17-10 11:32 AM
    You can't open a backup file with Outlook. I assume you have Desktop Manager running on your PC since you have made a backup. On the Desktop Manager main screen, click the Synchronize button to set up the synchronization of info between your Tour and Outlook. The default settings will all work.
    what does this do?
    03-19-10 08:06 PM
    Synchronization allows you to copy your Address Book, Calendar, Task, and Notes to Outlook running on a PC.

You need to read the BlackBerry 101 Tutorial that's linked under BlackBerry Help. I don't mind answering your questions, but it'll be much more efficient and waste much less of your time if you read that material first, then ask any remaining questions.
    03-19-10 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD