Can I sync only one direction with Macintosh BlackBerry Desktop Manager? My database of Events and Tasks in BlackBerry is essentially my bread and butter and I don't want anything touching that database except manually when I use my BlackBerry. I want to use the Macintosh BlackBerry Desktop Manager but I am confused regarding how to ensure that my BlackBerry database does not get touched. I have been deleting the Mac iCal database and the Mac Address Book database every time I sync, but I am wondering if there is a way to somehow choose the options so that nothing is added or deleted on my BlackBerry while syncing. For example, I just created a sample event on my iCal called "test" and it now appears on my BlackBerry after syncing -- I hate that! And yesterday, I deleted my tasks in iCal and synced and it deleted all my Tasks on my BlackBerry -- that cannot be permitted to ever happen! Fortunately, I back-up my back-ups -- but there has to be a better way. How about some type of app that permits an export of Events and Tasks into some type of file; and then I can import it into Ical or Entourage without the risk of overwriting my master BlackBerry database and without the need to go into the folders of my Mac to manually delete databases?
    Last edited by lawlist; 01-09-10 at 12:39 PM.
    01-09-10 12:17 PM
    a sync is a sync thats the way it works on pc or mac
    01-09-10 12:32 PM
    I don't know how different DM for Mac is from the Windows version, but have you checked your sync settings? On Windows you can choose one way or two way syncing... You can also set it up so you have to approve changes

ETA: you might wanna check this: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...1-1.0.2-US.pdf page 5 and forward, it explains it all
    Last edited by VeniceBB; 01-09-10 at 12:47 PM.
    01-09-10 12:43 PM
    Sadly, it appears that Mac is two ways only and I have not yet found a way to override that option and that is why I am writing this thread -- any help will be greatly appreciated.
    01-09-10 12:49 PM
    Yeah...i need this too. I wonder if it'll work if you delete all your contacts and events on your mac then sync. In theory it sounds like it would work.
    01-09-10 12:57 PM
    Okay, now I am confused... in your first post you stated that it's syncing one way... deleting items on your BB. Now in your latest post you said it's two way only... which would be combining items so you won't lose any information on either device... isn't that what you want?

From the manual -link posted above- you would be able to set up one way syncing through the advanced settings option. But that would replace either all data on your mac, or on your blackberry, depending on how you set it up.

Or if you just want your event and tasks on your BB, not on your mac, you could turn off syncing for those alltogether

ETA: never mind the confused part because I figured it out, lol. Not a native English speaker here, apologies for the confusion. I do stand by the part about setting up one way syncing through the advanced settings, going by the manual it should be possible...
    Last edited by VeniceBB; 01-09-10 at 01:02 PM.
    01-09-10 12:59 PM
    I don't think there is a one-way sync on the Mac version. It made such a mess I wound up re-formatting my BB and restoring my BB and Mac address books from a backup.
    01-09-10 01:01 PM
    Yes, deleting the contents of the two (2) appropriate folders on the Mac and simply deleting the contact of cards (command a, command x) prevents the issue and I have been using that method for more than a month. However, now I am experimenting with multiple different calendars for the Mac and cannot stand it any longer -- I need a one-way sync solution.
    Last edited by lawlist; 01-09-10 at 06:24 PM.
    01-09-10 01:07 PM
    I surrender and give up -- if anybody has a one-way sync solution (even a paid program) that would be appreciated. Pocketmac didn't identify my device (9700 Bold). The Missing Sync website says "stay tuned" with regards to the newest 5.0 operating system. The only proven method of a one-way sync with Mac Desktop Manager that I can find is to first back-up the data prior to syncing, and then before syncing do all of the following:

1. Address Book -- Go into and highlight all and delete cards.

2. Navigate to the folder ~Users/Library/Calendars
    Delete the contents

3. Navigate to ~Users/Library/Application Support/SyncServices
    Delete the contents

4. I don't use notes, so I have not researched that option.
    01-09-10 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD