Hi all
    My 1st post here but I have been reading for a while. Its the best place to be for BlackBerry help!

I have a problem, my IT department have asked me to upgrade everyones Blackberry 8900 to the latest official OS. They are in the US and I'm in the UK, hence why they ask me and I have done it before on my own BB. Since I did mine, I have changed my laptop and I am now using a new MacBook Pro and using Bootcamp for XP. In XP, my work 8900 shows up perfectly in device manager and I can also browse the media card. When I run Desktop Manager 4.7, it cannot pick up the BlackBerry and it shows as Disconnected. I have tried re-installing Desktop Manager and even tried the latest unreleased version 5.0. Browsing this forum has suggested I take the battery out for a minute and try again and this didn't work either. Is it because my work 8900 is on an IT Policy and I need to wipe the security settings? There is a program I think that does this but can't remember what its called. I'm not worried about getting into trouble from work to do this as I have their blessing to do so. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Rich

PS - I asked if they could roll the update out wirelessly or through the BES and they said they couldn't which i find odd!
    05-07-09 02:10 AM
    You need to use an actual PC to upgrade the OS.
    05-07-09 09:57 AM
    You need to use an actual PC to upgrade the OS.
    So no laptops work when upgrading an OS? Remember, Bootcamp IS Windows no matter what machine its on (Intel Mac) and its not running in Mac OS. If my BB shows up in device manager perfectly, then why wouldn't it work?

So are you telling me I can only upgrade using a Desktop rather than a laptop?

Thanks
    Rich
    05-07-09 10:30 AM
    Don't confuse laptop as a virtual machine...two totally different entities.

The actual guts of your BCVM is not grooving with an OS upgrade as aristile says. Its not compatibile.
    05-07-09 11:57 AM
    So no laptops work when upgrading an OS? Remember, Bootcamp IS Windows no matter what machine its on (Intel Mac) and its not running in Mac OS. If my BB shows up in device manager perfectly, then why wouldn't it work?

So are you telling me I can only upgrade using a Desktop rather than a laptop?

Thanks
    Rich
    You can use a Desktop or a Laptop, it just needs to run Windows directly, not an emulator or anything like that. It just doesn't work correctly unless you do that.
    05-07-09 12:00 PM
    Bootcamp on an Intel Mac is running Windows direct. There are 2 partitions that you can choose to boot into on start up, either Leopard or Windows. Windows is installed on an NTFS partition. Bootcamp is NOT an emulator or a virtual machine!

I know you can run Desktop Manager on the XP partition on a Mac as I have seen it done before. Mine just doesn't connect. I am now wondering if the replacement cable I bought on eBay is at fault here. It has a Blackberry logo on the end, but it may not be 100% genuine....
    Last edited by the_unrepentant; 05-07-09 at 12:19 PM. Reason: more info needed in post
    05-07-09 12:13 PM
    Check the Mac forum for more information on what you are trying to do. When you figure it out, one way or the other, please post back in this thread the solution so the next person will know.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/
    05-07-09 12:27 PM
    Will do! Thanks aristile
    05-07-09 12:49 PM
    I am having the same problem. I have used DM 4.5-4.7 and they all had the same issue. Tried with SIM and microSD and without. Battery removed.

Nothing works. I can get the phone to connect for a minute, then it always disappears. As I can transfer files onto the microSD card via the new "micro" USB cable from my Mac, I know the cable is fine.
    05-11-09 11:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD