Hey all crackberry members. As you all know most of us are unable to get the IP modem icon in BDM 5.0.1 to stay lit up as soon as you connect your bb. I have had the same issue sense I got windows 7 which has been for 3 whole days. Crackberry member (kingslaye505) helped me fix my issue and it does work.

1. Download and Install Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 onto your computer.

2. Start up Desktop manager and go ahead and connect your berry to the desktop manager like normal (and its ok if your IP icon goes away). Once its done doing the first connection to your berry close the desktop manager.

3. (Windows 7 users) go to (C:\ProgramData\Research In Motion\Blackberry\ and open the. IP_modem_configuration file in word pad. (Xp users) go to c:/Documents and Settings\all users\application data\research in motion\blackberry (and yes you will have to make hidden files and folders unhidden). find your carrier and change all False--> to *TRUE*.

4. Go ahead and open up your desktop manager and the IP modem icon should be there and clickable.

5. On the left side click on configure then select your Carrier (under connection profile) and click on ok. (ATT users Then click on Configure under connection settings on the left side of the screen. Make a custom profile, and change the access point from ISP.CINGULAR TO WAP.CINGULAR.) Depending on your carrier of course complete all the steps except for the custom profile part.

6. Once all of the steps above and done go ahead and click on connect and bingo you are now successfully tethering your berry with desktop Manager 5.0.1

EDIT: I also recommend while is the XML file changing all of the false into true (once you find your carrier) also change your login from ISP.CINGULAR TO WAP.CINGULAR. it has worked for me so far, and I have not had any problems. If you guys have problems please post them, again, Thanks to kingslaye505 for helping me with this.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hello yall.... I got a little question and hope that someone knows something about it because my boss asked me about it and i don't know what to do.

I need to know the performance of the Blackberry 9700 and Storm 2 as Modem, have anyone checked it on speed test ?

Thank you

JB
    12-01-09 04:41 PM
    I can't get past the Verizon Mobile Broadband Connect page which requires subscribing to monthly access at $30 for 5GB. Anyone know how to get past this page. I can't surf the web at all.....yet.
    I'm having this same problem, has anybody figured out how to work around this yet? Thanks!
    01-08-10 06:09 PM
    I'm having this same problem, has anybody figured out how to work around this yet? Thanks!
    Well I would love to help but now I am on verizon using a motorola droid. I love it and can honestly say bye bye blackberry. I use pdanet which is free and I have no problems at all using it to tether on the big red.

01-08-10 06:34 PM
    Well I would love to help but now I am on verizon using a motorola droid. I love it and can honestly say bye bye blackberry. I use pdanet which is free and I have no problems at all using it to tether on the big red.

Must be nice!
    01-11-10 02:17 PM
    This did not work for me on windows 7
    01-20-10 08:41 PM
    i had this working with my at&t branded 9700 unlocked under movilnet (a venezuelan operator) but now the icon doesn't appear again i havent installed another OS or anything.
    01-24-10 09:06 PM
    So i've been doing some testing on this....i seems to me its OS depend meaning if you're running the OS from another carrier thats the carrier you have to setup...

How do i know this?
    I have an Unlocked from at&t on the telus network.

did everything posted above and no go......I downgraded my OS from the Zain Jordan OS posted up to a TELUS OS and IP Modem showed up right away.

So because i can't find Zain Jordan as a listed carrier anywhere on the IP modem but can find it under the Vendor ID file that we all delete to get the OS to load. I'm now assuming that this IP modem file is searching for the Carrier that OS is from.

this i what i have come up with so far.
    01-26-10 08:43 PM
    Big thank you to Tennispro4ever and others - I hunted all day for various tethering solutions and finally this one nailed it. I am using Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1, made the edit (in XP) to make AT&T "TRUE" in the ip_modem_configuration.xml file (I used Open With ... used XML editor), and this resulted in being able to see IP Modem in BDM. I configured and connected.

Unfortunately I suffered the same errors as mentioned by others. I repowered everything (Bold, PC) and then noted suggestion to create custom profile and make access point entry change to WAP.CINGULAR. Next step was to initiate connection and now it works great. Speed is very good. Phone indicates Modem Mode Enabled. This will definitely make the time more productive during numerous trips to the hockey rinks for the kids. Thanks again.
    01-30-10 11:57 PM
    I have BBDM 5.0.1.28 loaded; Win XP SP3; went to -

c:/Documents and Settings\all users\application data\research in motion\blackberry\IP_modem_configuration.xml

- Opened it in Wordpad; changed the "verizon wireless" "false" to "true" and saved...

No change - still no IP Modem icon/option...

That was the only "verizon" entry in the whole document...
    02-01-10 10:46 AM
    I am on Verizon and when I try to go to the internet I get the 'subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect' web page and cannot get to anything else.
    02-22-10 01:03 PM
    Have a verizon phone but using another carrier (am in indo & using indosat).

After changing the false to true, I got the icon back. Configured it but when trying to connect it says modem not responding.

With 8900 I had no problems. But when using the storm the ip modem icon dissapeared but now after it showing up, is still not connecting.

Any help ??!!

02-28-10 01:41 AM
    i followed the steps with success. however, when i try to connect i get the following:

connecting to network
    authenticating on network --- this steps last several seconds until i finally get the following msg:

"Blackberry Desktop Manager failed to start and IP modem session using the connected device. The remote computer did not respond. Please check your profile settings and make sure your radio is turned on. The service might have been turned off by your wireless service provider or your administrator."

any help?
    i am having the same issue and i am not really sure what it means by "radio". i have the curve 8530 with sprint. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

edit: i have since found out what radio is and yes mine is turned on
    Last edited by c-man; 03-02-10 at 09:37 AM.
    03-02-10 08:28 AM
    just a quick question..is it normal that once you're connected using the ip modem, you cant get any pushed emails and bbm working?
    03-02-10 10:08 AM
    So I was playing around with this on Windows 7 and edited C:\ProgramData\Research In Motion\Blackberry\ip_modem_configuration.xml to how the instructions say to. It worked on the first try but the IP Modem icon disappeared when I re-launched my Desktop Manager. I was confused.

Then I stumbled upon a second ip_modem_configuration.xml file. It's location is at:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

Edited that file and now the IP Modem icon is there for good. Hope that helps people! Btw, I'm on AT&T.
    03-05-10 04:31 PM
    Hey guys and gals, I had no problem getting the button to return but I am unsure if there is any way to set up a connection profile for use on the Alltel network? I know there aren't many of us left after the Verizon buy out but if anyone has any information as to whether / how it can be done, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I just created a new custom profile and left everything blank....connected just fine. Now my question is whether this is going to rack up a giant bill without the tether package or any special routing. I loaded up a few pages and disconnected to be on the safe side...
    Last edited by mtbsam; 03-06-10 at 01:32 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    03-06-10 01:09 AM
    After many tries I can not get the IP Modem icon to appear at all on my Win 7 laptop using either the latest DM from RIM or Verizon. The IP Modem icon never appears after after a fresh install of the DM. I've tried editing the config file many different ways. With RIM DM it's already set to true, with the Verizon DM it starts as false.

I have an older version 5.0.1.18 on my Vista desktop that works. I get the icon and I can connect without any problems. I tried load 5.0.1.18 on my Win7 laptop and I can see the Icon but the app crashes before it finishes loading....

Any idea's?
    04-12-10 10:32 AM
    i posted my problem i have in a thread
    none of the 'fixes' work

please help

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/prob...light=ip+modem
    04-14-10 04:31 PM
    Any updates to this?

I have DM 5.0.1.37 and an unlocked ATT 9700 running the latest .743 phone OS.

I can't remember when DM stopped showing the icon- it used to work with my 8900 about 4-5 months back- but was first 'disabled' towards the end of my use of the 8900, and disabled when i had a temporary 8100.

Now, with a new phone, new DM and phones OS, the ip_modem_config xml file does not exist in the folder path mentioned- however, there are these files:

configurationupgrade.xml
    device_tblinfo_1033.xml

and separately, there is a "BlackberryModemConfiguration.exe" icon that doesn't seem to work when double clicked (a window flashes open-close).

Anything the CB gurus can add to this?
    Last edited by gunat; 07-26-10 at 03:48 AM.
    07-26-10 02:33 AM
    Guys,

I also lost IP modem, and set to YES (have all carriers strangely set to yes). My setup is confusing as I have both manager 5.1 and 6 and cant uninstall v6.

Anyways a tip for those that cant make IP modem appear.

[User] HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop! - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Make a dial up connection, it works for me that way.

Regards
    08-29-10 06:16 AM
    thanks a lot.... work for me.
    09-08-10 11:18 PM
120 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD