Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default CrackBerry Clock Contest: Tell us what YOU think it's time for BlackBerry to do next!

You read the post, and this is the official contest thread. Time to hop to it!

Take your time and tell us in essay format what YOU think it's time for BlackBerry to do next.

We will select two of the best entries and feature them in the blogs. In addition, winning entries will receive one of two custom-made clocks courtesy of our friends at WirelessMerchant.com.

Put your thinking caps on, and blow us away with your essay... GO!

The contest is open worldwide and will end Sunday, August 4th at midnight PST.
    Last edited by James Falconer; 07-27-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer

Global Posts
    3,063 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Can't wait to read some good essays!

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Demencia Beat...!!!

BlackBerry was a leader and continues to be a leader for the mobile industry. They needs to focus on their philosophy & listen to their customers who are the one that suffers in body & soul the consequences of their decisions.

I'm loyal as many as we are. these difficult times can be turned over.

Posted via CB10
    CATERPILLAR - TODAYS WORK, TOMORROWS WORLD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Well I feel they need to continue to show their presence in the USA market. They need to show what exactly the device can do. Show amazing videos of it in action. They should also update the OS on the PlayBook. You can't just flood the market with devices. You need good marketing to showcase the devices. And time to work to get the apps some are asking for. Even if it is only a few who use the app. Court the developers who are wanted and people need. I would also update the bb10 OS so active frames are not always used for the apps and control what the app accesses.
    CrackBerry Genius

I posted something similar a few days ago but here it goes again:

BlackBerry should forge agreements with major carriers in as many countries as possible to leverage their existing BIS infrastructure to provide a low-cost, predictable 'global data plan'. Many have complained that switching to BB10 has meant giving up the data-compression and lower BIS data plan costs (including the confusion with T-mobile's international BIS-only data package)... so it is clearly something that differentiates pre-BB10 devices from any other device (including BB10).

Once in place, BB10 devices could have a '3G/2G traveler data mode' that would only work outside the user's home network (this would appease home carriers as they want their users to consume and pay for more data). You pay BlackBerry directly for this 'mode' and it entitles you to compressed data (at 3G speeds) through out the world... once you do, and you travel outside your home network, 'traveler mode' appears and you can use it without having to worry about finding SIM cards or $10,000 usage charges.

They could market it as:
    Buy a ______ device, and you get a device.
    Buy a BlackBerry, and you get a global network.
    Thanked by:
    b_hansen (07-26-2013) 
    ovi08 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

BlackBerry needs to continue in the direction they are now going. They need to come out sooner with stable updates. Work at bringing more apps. I am a loyal blackberry buyer. I just get tired of delays and then problems with unfinished products. Get the people needed to make the innovations needed.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

BlackBerry 10 is an amazing new operating system to come to BlackBerry, which is heavily gesture based, and using it becomes second nature very quickly. BlackBerry as a company made a mistake when they decided not to update the Playbook software to the new OS10, and as a result, let down a lot of Playbook users. The next step forward for the company should be to listen to their loyal fanbase and try and implement some of what has been suggested to improve their existing BB10 devices (namely the Z10, Q10 and Q5). To name some, features such as speed dialling, a virtual trackpad and the ability to set multiple alarms would be a welcome addition to BlackBerry's next major software release (10.2). If BlackBerry can somehow persuade more developers to be involved with making more native apps for OS10, then that would be a huge step forward, ad they would be expanding their somewhat limited BlackBerry World app store. A personal gripe of mine, as a Q10 owner, was finding out that no charging contacts were on the bottom of the phone for the ability to place it in a charging dock. I have since made a homemade dock; a photo of which can be seen in the Q10 forums on CrackBerry.

To summarise, I think if BlackBerry reassess the feasibility of bringing BlackBerry 10 to the Playbook, which will give it a new lease of life to existing units, as well as attract more new sales, listen to their fan base more and their requests, and get into contact with more app developers and companies to expand BlackBerry World, then I think they will be on the path to success.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Curve 9320 > BlackBerry Q10 (10.2.1.1925) > Prospective P'9982 Owner
    CrackBerry Abuser

Since BlackBerry joined the smartphones market back in 1999, the company always focused on the enterprise market, providing safe and intelligent solutions for businessman, companies and so their employees, proving that BlackBerry was the most efficient platform for business. But, the world changes, the communications change, the way of doing business change, the way people think change, and BlackBerry must get ready for those changes if they want to survive in the modern smartphone market.
    BlackBerry started to lose market back in 2007, when the first iPhone was released, and with the Apple iPhone, a new concept of mobile computing got introduced, this concept included a polished GUI, a modern feeling, basically it was a "pop singer", made perfectly to fit the market tendency and then extract the maximum of it. This "revolution" in the mobile computing resulted in more and more modern smartphones every month, the birth of new mobile operating systems, like Android for example, but were BlackBerry was on this "revolution"?
    The company didn't managed to follow the market tendencies, resulting in a decrease in their sells and a huge market lost, basically, their main problem was refusing the tendencies, as a company that sell phones, they should have noticed that the smartphones market was growing and that consumers liked the "new mobile computing concept", so why would consumers choose a "1999 HTML-feels-like phone" instead of a modern, fresh and popular phone?
    BlackBerry got a six years delay to notice that changes, only in 2013 they started to follow the new market tendency with the launch of the BlackBerry Z10, but was this enough for saving the company?
    BlackBerry should start focusing in what the consumers "want", that's how Apple, Nokia, Samsung, LG, and many other managed to survive, following tendencies, also, BlackBerry should stop putting all their efforts in pleasing the corporative market, I'm not saying that they should forget it, no, far from that, but they must start considering "alternative markets" like the "Young Generation" that use smartphones mostly for using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and many other social tools, that's one of the most rentable markets actually and BlackBerry still didn't noticed that. In short terms, BlackBerry should rethink their market strategy, they must still support the enterprise market, since it's their speciality, but, they must allow themselves the chance of conquering those new markets if they want to survive.

//~~//
    Made it for fun only, sorry for the terrible grammar and everything else, never learned English.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

BlackBerry has hit a life or death, sink or swim, move up in the marketshare or be taken out of the marketshare point in the business. Somethings I consider that BlackBerry should do is hire some artists to promote the BlackBerry lineup. Not hire artists ala Alecia Keys but those that are of a crackberry member mindset, the mindset that they are proud to be using BlackBerry and how they use it in their daliy chores and show why they need BlackBerry in their life. I know they have it them to make some inspiring and amazing commercials if they started thinking outside the suit and tie image they want to keep. I know BlackBerry has a somewhat strong hold in the enterprise market but they should also make an attempt at the flipside. I think they can use what they learned during the push of the Z10 into market and double that with the push for the A10 device. BlackBerry must maintain somekind of mainstream motion via devices being introduced into the market as well marketing the devices in the market. I'm sure they can create a commercial that will display the Z10, Q10, Q5 and A10 showing the different demographics they are planning to target and how they are seamlessly tied together. BlackBerry can succeed but they must understand that they need our help (BlackBerry community World Wide) to be successful. They are not just making devices to make a buck but they are making devices that can assist us in our daily life.
    The Link
    CrackBerry User

Don't need an essay to point you in the right direction. Support for all your past products is the key, people hate you right now because of your lack of commitment on the playbook. People have spent huge money on your products in past with the recent realization they are only as good until their money goes onto rims bank account

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

BlackBerry is still strong in Africa and South East Asia. In Indonesia 15 millions are using this devices, which are 18 % of all BlackBerry users. But the Q5 is still way to expensive for the markets there. They should release a phone for approximately 200 dollars. Android is a big competition for them in those countries, and the should keep their nation. Maybe if they make a low end phone, with a smaller battery, VGA front facing camera, 1 GB of Ram,... for a reasonable price (with OS10) they keep strong there and hold the people. On the other side, like we heard at Talk Mobile, specs matters and doesn't matter, they should release the "A10" with a full HD display (1.980 x 1.080) which would give you 451 ppi on a 5" device. Use a ultra-wide-angle front facing camera, quad core processor and if possible 3 GB of Ram, 32 GB of internal storage and it is on the same level (maybe even a little bit better) as the competition right now.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

BlackBerry needs to put efforts on many areas. I have seen some good adds of Q10 but anything else. Marketing is everything, you could have the best products but if you don't have a good marketing you will not sell.

Other key point for me is the carrier relationship. I found it absurd to wait months for an upgrade or to be able to get the new model available.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

BlackBerry has leaped into the war of the smartphones. From people talking down on them, to the people of crackberry who fully support all blackberries it is time that BlackBerry dive into the mainstream river of apps. It's great releasing many devices and trying to cover many of the markets out there, but truthfully what has always mattered were the apps. I'm not saying the quanity, but mom referring to main apps that I'm sure many users have side loaded (i.e. Instagram,vine, etc..). Speaking of apps, I've noticed that BlackBerry has been porting and creating many games for the blackberry world but gaming is one thing, social networks are another. Think about it, don't you think it's time for BlackBerry to link these games to major social networks, which is already possible but I mean other mainstream apps. A few examples would be temple run or candy crush. Users are so use to these apps and games that they find the change to be a culture shock to them. I recently joined the Crackberry community after a DROID RAZR and I have to say I love it! My z10 is so smooth flowing and solid! Now if I could hang out with friends and make instagram videos or compare game scores on candy crush or temple run now that would be amazing. Having support for android 2.3 is a huge plus but that's two android updates ago. It's time we join the smartphone war and support android 4.0+ and then blackberry would slaughter Windows and begin clawing.its way up!
    Sincerely, Ommieus a crackberry addict

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

BlackBerry needs to build more apps themselves, if they can't get more developers to make apps for BlackBerry 10. Then they should make ( high quality) games, social and enterprise apps

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

1.) Blackberry must do everything in their power to fill Blackberry World.

2.) Blackberry 10 devices that are released should have a modern and different look that is appeasing to not just Blackberry users but all smartphone users as well.

3.) Blackberry needs to advertise more of their large touchscreen devices.

4.) Blackberry needs to stay modern, updated, and re-invented!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

The question on the BlackBerry next point is ambiguous - what is best for the current users is not necessarily best for the company or shareholders.

Company-wise, BlackBerry needs to shy away from the "bold strategies" as in volatile markets any strategies will be generally useless. Instead, BlackBerry needs to be opportunistic and attentive to bright spots inside the portfolio that can be nurtured for growth.

One bright spot is BB10 OS and it's associated GUI. Whether the new design was developed organically or came from acquisition of TAT does not matter as much as ability of BlackBerry to keep it clean and evolve it. There are many obvious areas for improvement - from new gestures on unused top or side bezel areas to addressing the Achilles heels of touchscreen devices like inability to fast-scroll the page. Small changes can go a long way here - for instance, figuring out how to make copy-paste work in a seemless way or improving an average typing speed.

A second bright spot lies in the ability of BlackBerry OS to run Android apps in the virtual machine. Right now this experience generates very positive response from enthusiasts, but remains essentially half-baked; not only a user has to deal with sideloading, but also the sandbox is far from a virtual Android phone, with many Google-specific functions missing. The lesson here is that there are a few key applications that generate much loyalty from user base that are present on Android but not BB10. As much as Blackberry would like to get those apps as native, it may not happen for competitive or business focus reasons, so it's left for Blackberry to emulate the Android runtime environment faithfully and match the functionality from the user standpoint.

A third bright point can be clearly seen in the apps like BlackBerry Travel, Evernote integration and a Calculator with built-in unit conversion. Although Apple iPhone comes in the box almost bare of useful apps, the main strength of BlackBerry lies in building a functional and coherent package for a travelling professional, so small investment into well-integrates functions goes a long way. In many markets outside of US, Blackberry has an image of a business phone, and anything that helps with this image counts.

The last bright point comes not from Blackberry, but from the market. As proven by Samsung and Apple, there is strong demand on the high-end of the smartphone market for top-of-the-edge functions. With respect to that, A10 and the like designs are a step in the right direction, especially when augmented by advanced functionality, such as wireless charging, satellite distress signaling and virtually anything the creative genius of engineering can throw together. High-end phones are the guinea pigs of technology development, so it's reasonable to leverage this opportunity.

At the same time, investment in legacy product lines should remain very limited. While BlackBerry Playbook worked well as a test mule for the first draft of BB10, it is rather apparent the company does not have traction in tablet market right now. Whether or not it will be true in the future remains to be seen, but a current decision to stop support for Playbook is financially reasonable.

Without having numbers in hand, it is true to argue whether Blackberry should support BB7 for long, but one important point is to skip the illusion that Blackberry can re-capitalize on the old cash cows like BES and BBM.
    In today's world of ubiquitous Outlook clients and VPN connectors, an attempt to keep the gates closed is all but futile, so this stickiness is gone.

As a conclusion, the big new things are ahead of Blackberry and the past does not matter much. The company still needs to find its specialty and niche from where to expand into the larger markets.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Forgive me I'm not good at essays

But here I go

I think blackberry need to work on there carrier relationships a lot, look at today for example Verizon just now push out 10.1 and to me that's one reason why people don't want them due to issues with the os(reboots) and can't download some apps or apps are way out if date.

The other thing they need to work on is apps... why well let's recall back to the 1st iPhone and the ad campaign with "there's an app for that" with BlackBerry it's we have ummm a knockoff app for that or not one at all, while I'm not a big app person my self a lot are and for some that makes or brakes them.

Please please blackberry don't fail iv been a die hard fan ever since I got my 1st 8700c.

Matt

I tried my best I know I fail at typing

Posted via CB10
  18. FrankensteinTheFormerDoctor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

It is a well known fact that the big wireless companies have refused to update the firmware for the Blackberry Z10, which was outdated at the day of the launch.

Blackberry should kick those wireless companies in the groin for intentionally damaging the sale of the greatest phone ever released.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    PIN
    333B3E77

BlackBerry needs to beef up their marketing. I love BlackBerry and I advertise for them as often as I can! And I'm sure many of my fellow CB members do the same! But BlackBerry needs to step it up! Give us some of BB10 on the PlayBook! Not the OS but the browser and BB10 app support and Jelly Bean app player!

I strongly believe that BlackBerry needs to show the world why better specs don't always mean better experience! Show everyone how well BB10 performs against the competition!

Also BlackBerry needs to get to the bottom of the delayed carrier updates! That IMO is holding BlackBerry back and has caused more brand damage due to, not to point any fingers, US carriers taking their sweet time rolling out the updates! So many new features and fixes are being missed by the average consumer that it is pushing them to look away and jump ship when they do get on board.

I love BlackBerry and I want them to succeed! I can't imagine having anything else in my hands! I don't want anything else! Come on BlackBerry! Let's rock and roll this!

Robert Timmons

Posted From My Amazing Z10 via CB10
    BlackBerry By Choice! Proud Owner of Z10 and a PlayBook 64GB
    Legacy Devices; 9530, 9550, 9850
    CrackBerry Newbie

There is an old joke that asks the question, "How many software programmers does it take to change a light bulb?" The answer to the question is "none, that's a hardware problem". To a degree I think BB has made an error by focusing the spotlight on BB10 rather than the hardware. Evidence the recent price drops on the Z10, an iPhone-appearing piece of hardware that doesn't do what iPhone does as well as an iPhone does. Very uncool! To a degree the Q10 falters a bit in the same department. Had they come up with a Q10 with a track ball and/or one or two additional keys (virtual or other wise) I think their fortunes would be different. As it is, BB10 has a moderately steep learning curve and in many ways is more inconvenient than it's predecessors. One example is that the Q10 is impossible to use with one hand. On the Torch you could pick the phone up, click on the call answer button with the thumb of that same hand, keeping the other hand free to do what ever you were doing when the phone rang. Realizing that might seem petty to some, to me it underlines Blackberry's inability to give ergonomics the emphasis it deserves. As I am writing this I am thinking that if my Q10 had a screen that popped up when the phone rang with only two tapable icons (accept or decline call), I'd forgive a lot of other "learning curve" issues. With the market being somewhat saturated with smart phones these days it's hard to know what direction to take. If it were up to me I'd drop the Z10-no way to out iPhone the iPhone-concentrate on making the Q10 more ergonomic-add a track ball for "all that is Holy" and the world will be theirs.

Cheers, Erik

BlackBerry is on the cusp of success and on the verge of seeing a new era. In order to succeed they need to focus, simply, and simply be attractive. But most importantly they need to earn back their users.

Focusing on products these days is no simple task. This requires better due diligence on issues. They need to restrict the number of devices and variations as strongly as possible. And they need to remember most customers only carry one phone. Many models simply diversified their existing client base and does little to focus on new customers. A 2 models only approach would greatly solidify support and generate a steady income. Additionally blackberry needs to begin investing time back into its users and provide the devices we truly need.

To simplify they need to continue making the existing devices easier to use. Everything should be accessible in 3 presses. Users should not wait unnecessarily and this extends into applications. If a user wants a simple way to access their bank, blackberry needs to drive the change home and bring the banks on board. Simplifying means more than just the operating system, it means having a simpler experience than other platforms. Simplifying also means easy (and accessible) support. Which needs to be redesigned unlike anything BlackBerry has done before.

Finally, being attractive is critical to success. You want your device to offer a look and feel unlike anything in the market. You need to show how flexible you are and yer how easy everything is to use and flow. They need to remember clients love customization and if they can adopt an attractive phone model with a higher level of customization they can really recover their user base.

With a simple, focused and attractive product, BlackBerry will retake the market. They have driven most of these points most of the way, now they need to complete the cycle.

Ed

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    PIN
    333DA5F1

As a previous owner of every single flagship phone from every major manufacturer, I have a very strong understanding of what makes phones great. I've owned everything in the past three years from the iPhone 3Gs all the way up to the iPhone 5. Samsung Infuse up to the Galaxy S3. Nokia Lumia 900 and 720. As well as many, many blackberries, the latest being my new Q10.
    The biggest struggle facing BlackBerry isn't that it's new OS is still in its infancy. It's not even that the selection of apps is far more limited than other phones. It's not that the new OS is difficult to use, because it most certainly is not. The problem BlackBerry has to tackle is getting their devices in people's hands.
    I was at the local Verizon store just the other day when I went to purchase my new Q10. There was a live demo of a Z10 and one of the Q10, blended in with the rest of their selection. If you didn't know they were there, you could easily over look them. It's easy to get distracted as it is with all of the signs promoting the new Droid, and Samsung, etc.
    If BlackBerry could just find a way to get people more hands on time before the customer made a decision on the device they would purchase, I firmly believe the sales would skyrocket. The new user interface is so fluid and easy to use. Nothing like BlackBerry used to be. The hub is one of the main features that should be shown to anyone looking for a device that makes communication the number one priority. All it would take for someone to consider BlackBerry if they never had before, is for one quick 3-5 minute demo of the new devices.
    BlackBerry did take too long to develop the new OS. They did fall behind for a few years. Yes, they lost a lot of customers due to this. They are far from being a memory though. They have come back in a big, BIG way. People just need to experience it for themselves to understand. BlackBerry has to put itself out there. Not thru commercials, not thru ads placed on websites. Not even through word of mouth, because a personal device is not something you buy because you hear something is good. You have to experience it for yourself. As for me, this is the phone I've been waiting for. No more need to get the latest phone from Android or iOS or Windows. I have found what I needed, and all it took was for me to have it in my hands for me to see for myself.

Posted by my new Q10 via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Have a screen that has raised keys for a keyboard but goes flat when the keyboard is not present.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2AB660D0

While BlackBerry has enjoyed many years of unrivaled success and has been resting on its laurels of providing the best smartphone experience for business users, technology has finally caught up to their innovation and surpassed it with convergence products that allow greater flexibility for both work and play. Whether the finger points to poor management filled with stubbornness, or an unwillingness to change a winning formula for fear of losing their dominance in the smartphone market, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time to evolve the company into one that can remain competitive and relevant in the wake of the success of Apple and Android products and their overwhelming adoption by the average consumer. Though the BlackBerry brand carries a significant amount of weight with it, the company must invoke unprecedented change to attract customers both new and old.

I am a long time user of BlackBerry products. My first exposure to BlackBerry came in the year 2006 when I worked for a company called Central Transport. Central Transport utilized corporate BlackBerry devices to scan bar codes and log trip information wirelessly. It was there that I fell in love with the scroll wheel, and I knew I had to have a device similar to that for every day use. Up to that point, I had been using Windows Mobile phones, so the leap would be a large one to say the least, but I was an avid e-mail junkie, and BlackBerry offered the core services I needed to be happy. Within weeks I was the proud owner of a BlackBerry 7100g.

Over time, the 7100g would become the one thing I could always be seen with. No one understood what my infatuation with the phone was about, but it wasn't something that could be put into words. It was to me as the blanket was to Linus: I felt safe and secure with it, and lost without it. Once the Curve 8300 was released for Cingular (now AT&T, still with them), it was like graduating high school and attending college. The next logical step was in my hands, and with it new features and improvements were introduced that made me proud to be part of the BlackBerry family more than ever before. Maybe the comfort lied in the build quality, or perhaps the intrigue of Canadian ingenuity brought even more class to the product, but there was no denying that something special came out of Waterloo, and I would always be ready to hand over my money for the latest and greatest they had to offer.

When I purchased the Torch 9800 in 2010, I was thrilled to have a slider design in a "bulletproof" casing with a new BB OS and touch screen capabilities. I really loved that phone above all those before it: it embodied the spirit of BlackBerry and their penchant for creativity. But then something happened. A new OS was being announced, and my phone would not receive it. Well, being locked into a two year contract with my carrier, it would be the first time I would have to witness change pass me by. I was furious. I felt betrayed. And the following year, the PlayBook was my next purchase regardless of being burned on my 9800. With the PlayBook and its beautiful promising OS, I saw BlackBerry working hard to not only redeem their missteps but to get out in front of everyone else and be the leader they once were.

This essay could go on, and we all know what happened with the PlayBook this year, so yes, my confidence in BlackBerry has been shaken. The name that once shone brightly had been sullied by a sea of bad decisions and broken promises. What can BlackBerry do to become the leader again? Listen to their customers, don't be afraid to take risks, and keep your word no matter what. Give them something to believe in. The world is full of enough disappointments as it is. BlackBerry, be our beacon in the night, and return to your former glory as the mark of excellence.
    Last edited by nerdydaddyo; 07-26-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Apps & Hardware that Actually Matters, NOT Marketing

There are no shortage of problems at BlackBerry. BlackBerry OS 10 is the new kid on the block. Their storied past isn't making their future any easier. There's an "app gap" that is very real. BlackBerry has a poor reputation in the US. They're coming out with phones with less-than cutting edge processors. The pace of official updates in the US is sluggish, and that's being kind. OS 10 is currently lacking the bells and whistles included on flagship Android phones. It's impossible to solve them all at once, and trying to do so would be a mistake. BlackBerry should focus on apps and the hardware features that actually matter.

Apps. They're why smartphones are no longer corporate/professional exclusives. BlackBerry shouldn't worry about the raw number of apps, because no one will ever see the hundred thousand+ they have now, let alone the hundreds of thousands on Android or iOS. Quantity doesn't matter, quality does. BlackBerry needs to get the big-name apps on board by any means necessary, including sending out trucks full of money to get Netflix, Instagram, Google Maps/YouTube, and all top dogs in every single category. No one is going to buy a BlackBerry instead of an iPhone or Android phone because BlackBerry has the apps that iOS and Android have had for months or years. People will certainly avoid BlackBerry, however, if it doesn't have the apps they know and use, or the apps they think a platform has to have to make it relevant. Not having today's big name apps sends the message that BlackBerry won't have the must-have apps in the future. That's a risk most people aren't willing to take, and they shouldn't have to. It's BlackBerry's job to make that risk go away. Now.

Every article about the forthcoming BlackBerry A10 is followed by dozens and dozens of people commenting how the non-removable battery sucks, how a dual core cpu sucks and it should be at least quad core if not octa core, etc. BlackBerry has stated in the past that they're not in the spec race, and I agree with them. CPU clock speed, number of cores, screen technology (lcd/super amoled...), RAM speed don't matter to most people. That's inside baseball.

There are hardware features that I think would make a big difference to BlackBerry's prospects. The first is wireless charging. BlackBerry should decide to include wireless charging in every OS 10 device from here on out. It's a feature that people would notice and remember. BlackBerry is now known for their distinctive hardware keyboards; they could become known as "THE phone with wireless charging." If Apple made the decision that the next generation iPhone, iPod and iPad were all going to include wireless charging they would be geniuses who "invented" wireless charging and everyone, BlackBerry included, would be scrambling to catch up.

Another hardware feature BlackBerry should care about is screen resolution. The Z10 and Q10 have very high ppi screens, but 5" phones are known for having 1080p displays. It's becoming a standard for large phones/phablets. I think it's a mistake for the A10 to come out with lower than 1080p. That mistake may have already been made; if so it should be the last time. I know BlackBerry has committed to 720p to make things easy on developers, but they MUST go back on their word here. They will do it, whether this year or 2 years from now; the sooner they bite the bullet the better. Add developer support for 1080p asap so the 2014 version of the A10 doesn't miss out too.

The third hardware feature that matters are speakers. The speaker on the Z10 might be on par with some other smartphones, but its certainly not good, nor loud, by any measure. They need to take a cue from the HTC One (or their own PlayBook) and include dual front-facing speakers. One rear-facing speaker doesn't cut it. Enough said.

BlackBerry's marketing for the Z10 and Q10 hasn't been successful. But no amount or quality of marketing can cover up the app gap that currently exists. BlackBerry should create an ecosystem full of the apps people want most, with top of the line hardware where it counts that customers will remember and ask for. Making phones that people desire makes marketing the easy part.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast