Announced within their Q2 Fiscal 2017 results, BlackBerry has clearly stated they have plans to end all internal hardware development of BlackBerry devices and will be outsourcing to partners from here on out.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    09-28-16 08:00 AM
    Yes they're done with phones. They just don't realize this.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-28-16 09:11 AM
    Am I the only one who does not see where they specifically say they are done designing? I know they are done manufacturing phones but I do not see where they get the "Done Designing" thing. I think this is merely another assumption and interpretation from what Chen says.
    I don't think that is exactly what they meant in the print.

Any one else think that?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 11:40 AM
    I agree. I think they'll use existing reference designs but add their own flavour to them. Like the DTEK pair of phones. Like Alcatel idols, but different.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    09-28-16 11:46 AM
    It would be interesting to see them take an LG V20 body and throw OS 10 on it. That way, we'd get amazing specs, a removable battery and the ever so lovable BlackBerry OS.
    09-28-16 07:14 PM
    So now the party is really over I guess. I guess i'll just ride my collectors item Passport until it explodes or something...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 06:24 AM
    I understood that they won't make phones anymore from the second I saw that DTEK50 comes from TCL. Is more obvious to externalize the costs in order to be able to sell for the future phones. I am truly sorry about the phones that were made for BB OS. It am curios about the next phone with QWERTY keyboard how will look and what will Blackberry throw in with it.
    09-29-16 06:31 AM
    Am I the only one who does not see where they specifically say they are done designing? I know they are done manufacturing phones but I do not see where they get the "Done Designing" thing. I think this is merely another assumption and interpretation from what Chen says.
    I don't think that is exactly what they meant in the print.

Any one else think that?

Posted via CB10
    Seems pretty clear to me - from the earning call:

Quite a bit. We really have not outsourced all our development - hardware development or handset development effort. We are taking one or two products outsource it to others, but we've been developing our own handset also.

So with what I announced today, we will end that activity and rely completely on partners.
    And in regard to their only licensing partner:

I was trying to make clear and it�s hard to write it, we have nothing to do with the JV, we are not part of the JV. We are licensing our technology and brand to this JV.
    You pay for the license and then slap it on your handsets - I don't see anything stopping a licensing partner producing what is effectively a dtek60 of their own which they directly contract from TCL.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-29-16 07:53 AM
    I stand corrected as much as I resent it

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 08:05 AM
    As long as I can get another phone with BB10 and a BlackBerry security and logo on it I don't care where or who has made it. Maybe it will be good in the long run for the company financially

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 08:47 AM
    So does this mean that they can license their keyboard technology to an outsourced partner and phones with physical keyboards will still be available in the future?
    09-29-16 11:23 AM
    Announced within their Q2 Fiscal 2017 results, BlackBerry has clearly stated they have plans to end all internal hardware development of BlackBerry devices and will be outsourcing to partners from here on out.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    09-30-16 06:09 AM
    I've always liked the shapes HTC comes out with. If they could work something out with BBL I'm sure that I'd see my dream phone. ,/,,/

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 02:01 PM
    So does this mean that they can license their keyboard technology to an outsourced partner and phones with physical keyboards will still be available in the future?
    Yes

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-06-16 12:04 AM
    So the big question for me is the "BB Hub" will it live on in the new models made by others?
    10-07-16 02:19 PM
    So the big question for me is the "BB Hub" will it live on in the new models made by others?
    Yes, because BlackBerry makes the software. The hub is an android app now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-16 11:08 AM
    If a few people is buying Blackberry phones then it makes sense to stop producing more phones and let some other companies manufacture the cellphones. Blackberry has really tried to increase sales but they haven't made any success. It's sad because Blackberry has made many interesting phones in the past. In the country where i live doesn't many even know about the company and their great phones.
    10-13-16 05:04 AM