CrackBerry's*exclusive*CES*2014 interview with BlackBerry CEO, John Chen

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    01-13-14 11:40 AM
    Chen plans to use BlackBerry’s multi-platform device management solutions to win back enterprise customers. But to do that BlackBerry first needs to decouple the brand from being thought of as mainly BlackBerry handsets.
    I agree with this strategy, but it's also exactly why I cringed when the company was renamed.. wouldn't it have been easier to decouple the MDM business from BlackBerry handsets when the MDM business was offered by a company called Research in Motion then it will be when the MDM business is offered by BlackBerry?

That said, a lot of great stuff in this article.. it leaves me feeling positive and confident that the company is in the right hands, will move forward, and while we all want new phones..I'll be happy to plug away with my more then adequate Z10 while Chen gets his ducks in a row, returns to profitability and then hits the high end consumer market with a great product.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by just_luc; 01-13-14 at 12:35 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-14 12:20 PM
    By renaming everything BlackBerry you gain brand recognition. This leads to better perception of the company, more interest in other BB products and other benefits. That's in an ideal situation. BlackBerry still has a ways to go before seeing the benefits of this, but it's important nonetheless to re-establish the brand.
    01-13-14 12:54 PM
    This to me is an extension of what started with xBBM. Probably necessary but really high risk. Hoping for the best but it looks a bit of a longshot.
    01-13-14 01:26 PM
    By renaming everything BlackBerry you gain brand recognition. This leads to better perception of the company, more interest in other BB products and other benefits. That's in an ideal situation. BlackBerry still has a ways to go before seeing the benefits of this, but it's important nonetheless to re-establish the brand.
    I might have agreed with you if the BlackBerry brand was at the top of its game at the time this happened.. sure use the name and elevate your other products with it. But as it is now the name BlackBerry has a negative connotation in many circles. Renaming the company made or more difficult to convince people who have a negative impression of BlackBerry to adopt the companies MDM products, QNX automotive products, and other items in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-14 02:16 PM
    "I am never going to give up designing phones. I may not build it, but I'm going to design it. I think it's a very important thing."
    Jonh Chen

This is very important that most people in CB read. People are going crazy because Jakarta is going to be made by foxconn, but they shouldn't be... Apple products are made by foxconn, but they are on of the most "in house" designed products.
    just_luc and bigbadben10 like this.
    01-13-14 02:27 PM
    "I am never going to give up designing phones. I may not build it, but I'm going to design it. I think it's a very important thing."
    Jonh Chen

This is very important that most people in CB read. People are going crazy because Jakarta is going to be made by foxconn, but they shouldn't be... Apple products are made by foxconn, but they are on of the most "in house" designed products.
    That's right.. foxconn is sourcing the parts and running the assembly line because they can do it faster and cheaper, (added bonus they'll be on the hook for any overstock of unneeded parts) but the products are still designed by BlackBerry.. they'll look like BlackBerrys, they'll work like BlackBerrys.. they'll say BlackBerry on them and THEY'LL BE BLACKBERRYS
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    01-13-14 02:58 PM
    That's right.. foxconn is sourcing the parts and running the assembly line because they can do it faster and cheaper, (added bonus they'll be on the hook for any overstock of unneeded parts) but the products are still designed by BlackBerry.. they'll look like BlackBerrys, they'll work like BlackBerrys.. they'll say BlackBerry on them and THEY'LL BE BLACKBERRYS
    I think foxconn can be a real winner for blackberry... Because Spec per dollar in blackberry devices is pretty poor, and althought I don't care about specs, a lot of people do, and specs sell.
    01-13-14 03:57 PM