Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default CB10 - CrackBerry App for BlackBerry 10 - Beta 1.05

Next beta build attached. Feature locked now for release v1. Tomorrow will tackle some of the offline access bugs, and GUI cleanup.

Please note that the first time you launch the app it may take up to 30 seconds to download the initial articles. Will improve this.

New in this Beta:

- Article access

Known Bugs:

- Not intercepting URLs properly in article view.
    - Random Crashes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

Yes! Throwing it on now, so happy to finally have the articles in this version! Thanks

EDIT: Installed, works great! In the future will you give an option so it will connect to the hub and we can get notifications when they post a new article? That would be a very cool option. Or at least make it so the app icon gets a red spark when there is a new post. Also, the main page runs a bit slow as it has SO much to load (atleast on my Dev Alpha B), but does there really need to be SOOOO many articles on the first load? That seems to be what's making it so overwhelming. When most of us check the app, I feel like the most articles we are going to have to check up on is the recent 10 or so, for that reason, is it really necessary to have the 50+ articles on the first page? It also makes the "pull down to refresh" thing take quite a while as it has SO many articles to reload. I would love it so after 10-15 articles it just loaded the next 10-15 just like it does in the forums when you scroll down to get to the next page.

Runs great, love it, just keeps getting better and better! Absolutely LOVE that the comments are a separate option instead of just being forced to scroll down to the bottom of the article.. You guys have really thought everything through! LOVE it!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 02-08-2013 at 02:07 AM.
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
    CJH_ likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Working wonderfully ! !
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

Just Installed, working beautifully. love that it flows.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB

Agree, but when will we be able to reply to threads? Or am I doing something wrong?

edit: Stupid me, forgot to login in. thanks Marcus.
    Last edited by Lendo78; 02-08-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo78 View Post
    Agree, but when will we be able to reply to threads? Or am I doing something wrong?
    Did you login? You can't post article comments yet but posting in the forums work well.

CB10 Lead App Developer
    CEO, Mobile Nations
    Thanked by:
    Lendo (02-08-2013) 

Can I change the default signature?

Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo78 View Post
    Can I change the default signature?
    Not yet but you can disable it under settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Adolfsson View Post
    Not yet but you can disable it under settings.
    Nah, I just wanted it to say sent from my B@d@ss Z10 LOL
    Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Flip4Bytes View Post
    EDIT: Installed, works great! In the future will you give an option so it will connect to the hub and we can get notifications when they post a new article? That would be a very cool option. Or at least make it so the app icon gets a red spark when there is a new post.
    Yes Hub support is coming. I plan to do it properly, with Push notification and invocation "cards" (so you could read an article without leaving the hub).

Will work on speed optimization today. On the sim it only takes 2-3 sec to refresh so will see what is blocking on the device.

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

On the Dev B it seems to hang quite a bit on login (4-5 seconds to show over AT&T H+).

Is the login page a webview? If so could you implement something else, for instance using cascades components in a form and just using HTTP post (or similar) to do the login? That would speed up the process quite a bit as webviews are fairly slow loading compared to the rest.

After the initial load of the articles, the app seems to perform better overall.

The settings page is very nice, could you implement a font size selection as well? Currently in an app I am writing I use basic QML to set it on a button press, but you could easily use a slider or dropdown, etc. In the webview itself I set the Default Font size and the minimum Font size (i did not want the users going too small).

Code:
              actions: [

ActionItem {
                        title: "Increase Font"
                        ActionBar.placement: ActionBarPlacement.InOverflow //do not show in action bar

onTriggered: {   
                        webviewID.settings.defaultFontSize = webviewID.settings.defaultFontSize + 4; //adjust default font size for specific webview
                        }
                        imageSource: "asset:///images/ic_zoom_in.png" //zoom in icon
                    },
                    ActionItem {
                        title: "Decrease Font"
                        ActionBar.placement: ActionBarPlacement.InOverflow  
                        onTriggered: {
                           webviewID.settings.defaultFontSize = webviewID.settings.defaultFontSize - 4; //adjust default font size for specific webview
                        }
                        imageSource: "asset:///images/ic_zoom_out.png" //zoom out icon
                    }          
                        ]

I will poke around more and see what else I can see. This is an amazing app, and I am very impressed with how well it performs!
    ~S_A
    Flip4Bytes likes this.

Global Posts
    10,389 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Can't download the app from the app

Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Is the login page a webview? If so could you implement something else, for instance using cascades components in a form and just using HTTP post (or similar) to do the login? That would speed up the process quite a bit as webviews are fairly slow loading compared to the rest
    Yes it is currently a Webview. I considered wrapping it on Cascades, but there is so much network stuff (cookies, redirects etc) when you use the SSO it was easier to implement this way. But will always reconsider in later versions.

We currently respect the global font size selection (through the main Settings). Could make it an individual settings element as well. Thanks for all the feedback!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

I haven't loaded the latest version so I'm not sure if this has changed, but I'd like to use it in landscape.

Also, I believe this could be near the front of the priority list, but I think the active frame state could be useful. If you minimise the app from the forums it can display the newest threads titles and if you minimise it from the news page, it displays the latest news post titles (maybe even if you minimise while reading an article, it displays a portion of the latest comments.)

Also, with the implementation of HUB push notifications, I'd appreciate if it was optional. I like just checking for new articles and threads when I get the time and wouldn't like the notifications (no offense!) but I know some people will.

Thanks again guys, the app is coming along wonderfully, it almost seems native.

Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Adolfsson View Post
    Yes it is currently a Webview. I considered wrapping it on Cascades, but there is so much network stuff (cookies, redirects etc) when you use the SSO it was easier to implement this way. But will always reconsider in later versions.

We currently respect the global font size selection (through the main Settings). Could make it an individual settings element as well. Thanks for all the feedback!
    If you didnt want to make an individual setting, you could invoke the settings/display element directly, and have the user change it as they desire. The app looks very good, and as I said, after initial load it does very very well. I agree with the first reply in this thread, about the articles loading all at once. Perhaps just load the articles based on date (on the first page) and then have another tab with the rest? Something like the main page here with the 10 or so articles per page.
    ~S_A
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

Having issues watching youtube videos, I just get errors and such, video won't play. Also, when I click to view an article in the browser, it doesn't open up the browser. It instead opens it up within the CB app and kinda spazzes out a bit (images are wayy top large, etc.)

I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    CrackBerry User

Having issues watching youtube videos, I just get errors and such, video won't play. Also, when I click to view an article in the browser, it doesn't open up the browser. It instead opens it up within the CB app and kinda spazzes out a bit (images are wayy top large, etc.)

As far as the view in browser I belive if you swipe down from the top and ge into settings you can choose for view in browser to either be in app or I'm the blackberry browser

Thanked by:
    Flip4Bytes (02-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

One thing about the forum icons, the blackberry 10 app icon is the Canadian flag not sure if that is correct.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by l ll llll l l ll View Post
    As far as the view in browser I belive if you swipe down from the top and ge into settings you can choose for view in browser to either be in app or I'm the blackberry browser

Well yes, which I want it to open within the app when I click a link.. exactly what I want.. BUT, the setting when you click "Open in Browser", well that should just open it in the browser as it says it's going to do. The settings option and the open in Browser" option are two separate things. Thanks for pointing this out tho, I still think it's something that needs to be fixed.

Also, an option to edit your post would be awesome.. It's a shame to not be able to do that. In addition to that, I sometimes accidentally "like" or "thank" someone, but there is currently no way to "remove thanks" or "unlike" a post, which is kind of a pain as I have to go on my computer to remove those.

Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 02-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    ___

Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

The bugs with links in articles has been fixed in the next release. Post editing is coming in the next major release.

CB10 Lead App Developer
    CEO, Mobile Nations
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    15,004 Global Posts

Ok, where's the beta for me to break? ><

Posted from my awesome QNX powered Q10 or my penguin powered laptop

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    CrackBerry User

So just downloaded it, works great straight from the app store, one thing I've noticed that has been missing is the ability to search the forums, any plans for this in the near future?

Posted via CB10
    Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by wilson1137 View Post
    So just downloaded it, works great straight from the app store, one thing I've noticed that has been missing is the ability to search the forums, any plans for this in the near future?

Posted via CB10
    Coming in the next release, hopefully along with forum subscriptions. Are you on the beta build list?

Posted via CB10
    CB10 Lead App Developer
    CEO, Mobile Nations
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

I sent the email to be a beta tester, how do I know if I am or not? Also, I know it's been said before, but the one quirk I have with this is the amount of time it takes to log in. When ever I open up the app, I wish it remembered that I'm logged in and everything be fine. Closing the app and opening it, requiring me to again click the log in button and sit there and wait for it to log me in, and then wait for my threads to load, it's a lot of time waiting. Is that because the login is being pulled in through the Web instead of internal inside the app that it takes so long and doesn't remember/auto log you in?

___

Administrator

Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

I sent the email to be a beta tester, how do I know if I am or not? Also, I know it's been said before, but the one quirk I have with this is the amount of time it takes to log in. When ever I open up the app, I wish it remembered that I'm logged in and everything be fine. Closing the app and opening it, requiring me to again click the log in button and sit there and wait for it to log me in, and then wait for my threads to load, it's a lot of time waiting. Is that because the login is being pulled in through the Web instead of internal inside the app that it takes so long and doesn't remember/auto log you in?

It should remember your login status after closing and opening the app. Are you authenticating using the username/password or one of the single sign on services.
    CB10 Lead App Developer
    CEO, Mobile Nations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast