- 02-09-13, 10:55 AM #26
I've been a member to crackberry for a little over a year now. Typically I've always viewed the site and forums via my PlayBook. Heck for most of the time I usually only ever pressed 'Like' or 'thanks'.
Enter my z10. Since I've purchased my new phone I found myself using the phone to view the posts and forums on this site. Heck it was so much faster then the PlayBook and I found it to be more comfortable (not to mention, I can't put this thing down).
Then comes along this app, and wow! Well done and kudos to you all for this first version. You've just added to my crackberry addiction and between this app and the z10 I've become more active in the forums, something like 15 posts in a week. I know that doesn't compare to others but when I've only done maybe 30ish in over a year I can safely call that progress. I do know that the app has only been release since this morning but it hasn't left my active frames since I downloaded it.
This is a great app and u should be proud of it.
Thank you for turning this casual reader into something more.
Ps. Sorry for the rambling, I tend to get off topic, I just can't contain my excitement.
Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
- CB10 Lead App Developer
CEO, Mobile Nations
- 02-09-13, 02:36 PM #33
I've noticed that when you login to your CB account with the the actual user name and password it hangs and doesn't go further. Logging in via Facebook and the other login options work without a hitch.
Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10Zach Gilbert
Doing my best to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry!
- 02-09-13, 02:59 PM #34
Hey, one of the slickest apps I've downloaded so far.
One thing either missing or I can't find is the ability to edit my own posts.
Currently adding a new reply each time I need to add or correct something.
Posted using CrackBerry App on BB108700 -> 8800 -> 9700 -> 9800 -> 9900 -> Z10
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
02-09-13, 08:47 PM #38
- 5,369 Posts
hey, so i figured id weigh in with my feedback, wanted to use it all day first so i wasnt just going off first impressions.
What i will say is a few things might be simply my choice, but a few other things are either MIA or not clear to me at least, however i love the app, so in no way take the things i list negatively, simply as constructive feedback
ok, so firstly i`ll echo the posting on blogs and viewing PM`s and other bits of the profile section such as likes and thanks, but i wont dwell on it as theyve already been covered by others.
1) The highlight colour for the UI elements seems to be the standard blue, naturally theyd `flow` alot better if they were the CB orange.
2) the comments on the blog section doesnt work right. it shows the total comments when viewing the article, however when you view the actual comments there are entries missing. from looking it seems only the main comments show, and replies to other comments do not.
3) It seems odd to have refresh as an ancilliary option in the blogs view (home view), i think it would make more sense from a user standpoint if it was in the actionbar as an option, not an extra option hidden on the side.
4) Sometimes when stuff is loading, theres no loading spinner, or in the case of the shop (which i presume is a webpage loaded in) theres no loading bar. this gives the user no feedback and can leave the impression of either non-responsiveness or lag, when actually all is fine its just loading. some user feedback such as a loading circle/bar would let the user know their action has been recognised, rather than maybe the person tapping the icon again wondering why nothing is happening. again this is more in the inital loading and the shop, however can happen in the forums too from time to time.
5) theres no `sticky` sections in the forums, so the main items people post to they need to scroll through pages to find.
6) moving from one page in the forums to the next and back seems counter inutiative, the scrolling down to go forwards is a great idea, but then is killed by scrolling up not sending you back a page but refreshing the current page instead. personally id love to see the fwd/back option i the action bar, or maybe even a page picker, as if it loaded me into page1 of the wallpaper thread for example, i hardly feel like hitting forward a thousand times to get to the latest pages. yes i realise you can set the forum to open to the last unread, but some options there would be most handy.
7) replying in the forum, it only writes a new reply at the end of the thread, theres no way to reply and quote, which is often needed to givencontext to what your saying.
8) likes dont show correctly. take for example The 'I got my Z10' thread post 2 in this thread, i have 12 likes, it shows on the desktop as 3 named people and 9 others. on the app it shows as 3 likes. im guessing this is to do with how it parses the `9 others` statement somehow.
9) some of the forum icons dont match up. for example in the BB10 hub forum view, for BB10 apps i have a canadian flag, for games i have a globe icon for side loading i have an android phone icon, whereas they are different on the desktop view, this seems slightly odd to me.
10). id love the ability to Subscribes from within the app also
Thats about all i can see wrong at the moment, as i say thats just from my view, and hopefully this`ll all be added so we get some full forums functionality.
hope this feedback helps
- CrackBerry User
02-09-13, 11:01 PM #40
- 16 Posts
What has hurt BlackBerry the most is the drop in perceived brand value in what is one of the most lucrative smartphone markets in the world, the U.S., where the company has now lost its 3rd position to Windows Phone. According to Strategy Analytics, Q4 2012 saw Windows Phone make good market share gains on some high-profile smartphone launches to overtake BB for the first time ever. BlackBerry will he hoping to reverse the losses now that BB10 is out but delays in launching the first BB10 smartphones on U.S. soil is going to make it much tougher. According to the company, the first BB10 device won’t be launched in the U.S. until mid-March at least.
In such a scenario, where BlackBerry will be looking to push its latest smartphones is to its installed subscriber base. Despite falling market share, BlackBerry has been able to retain most of its 80 million subscriber base. It is on the back of its huge subscriber base that the company has been able to sustain cash flow through steady high-margin carrier fees despite reporting net losses for three quarters straight. And with BB nowhere near its peaks of customer appeal, RIM will be primarily looking to get this installed base to upgrade to BB10 initially.
Upon launching the app, or every five minutes while the app is opened, it pings our servers and downloads a small gzipped index of the latest articles as well as the count of any unread forum threads. For each new or modified article it then downloads the article content in the background.
- Thanked by:
Pete The Penguin (02-10-13)
Thanks for the detailed write-up! Will try to respond to each feedback below.
On a thread with multiple pages, if you pull down gently there is a dropdown that lets you go directly to any page, including the "Last Page". I think I can expose this control to the action bar as well, so it is more prominent
Love the feedback, keep it coming!
- By Marcus Adolfsson in forum CrackBerry AppsReplies: 95Last Post: 03-12-13, 03:39 PM
- By tharrison4815 in forum CrackBerry AppsReplies: 6Last Post: 03-06-13, 01:14 PM
- By Marcus Adolfsson in forum CrackBerry AppsReplies: 72Last Post: 03-06-13, 01:08 PM
- By hydguy in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 3Last Post: 06-17-09, 03:30 PM
- By hydguy in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 06-17-09, 03:30 PM