CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Google Apps Connector for BES in BB10?

Does anyone know if Google Apps Connector will be available (or necessary) for BB10?

I currently use Google Apps Connector (hosted through ExchangeMyMail) and I really like how it seamlessly syncs Google Apps with my 9900.

Any info or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

It is believed BB10 will have the same mail client as the playbook so will support activsync so in theory there will be no need for BESx or the Google Apps connector
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

James, thanks for the response. I was thinking (and hoping) the same thing. My PB is connected to my Google Apps account and it stays in sync as nicely as my BB.

$10/month for the Google Apps Connector isn't killing me, but if I could get rid of it, and still have the same functionality, that would be nice.

Unfortunately, BIS just didn't keep email, calendar and contacts in sync well enough, so the BES solution is worth the $10/month for me.

It will be interesting to see if they even offer it for BB10, and if so, what advantages (if any) it has over activsync.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dosto View Post
    James, thanks for the response. I was thinking (and hoping) the same thing. My PB is connected to my Google Apps account and it stays in sync as nicely as my BB.

$10/month for the Google Apps Connector isn't killing me, but if I could get rid of it, and still have the same functionality, that would be nice.

Unfortunately, BIS just didn't keep email, calendar and contacts in sync well enough, so the BES solution is worth the $10/month for me.

It will be interesting to see if they even offer it for BB10, and if so, what advantages (if any) it has over activsync.
    By the sounds of your situation BES10 has no advantages for you (unless you are part of a wider organisation that needs policies, software distribution and a tunnel into a corporate network). Mail & PIM sync is via Activesync regardless. So there is little point on paying for anything extra.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

oufc_gav, thanks for the response. Looking forward to getting Q10 and dropping the extra expense.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

As someone who runs Google Apps Connector for BES I don't believe Google has any plans on updating this tool for BlackBerry 10 since the new devices all support seamless IMAP and CardDAV access out of the box or optionally ActiveSync by configuring the BB10 device account as an Exchange account to sync with your Google Apps account. Activesync offers push so email is quicker based on my initial experience. BlackBerry Enterprise 10 is more catered to huge deployments with on-premise Exchange / Domino environments. It would be nice if the new MDM capabilities of BB 10 could work with Google Apps but it would be a huge undertaking and co-operation from both companies. Look how long it took Microsoft Office 365 to finally support BlackBerry Enterprise aka. BlackBerry Cloud Services. I think Office 365 is in the same boat as Google Apps in relation to BB 10. KISS principle applies here - Keep It Simple Silly and just use ActiveSync. This will also allow your google apps admin perform a device wipe if the phone is lost or stolen. Hope this helps. I did some digging on BB10 and Enterprise support for Google Apps and didn't find much. BB doesn't seem to have any answers either.
    Thanked by:
    dosto (03-07-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Armageddon you're probably right, active-sync is "good enough" for most people. Given the direction they've taken with Office 365 and BlackBerry Cloud Services, it would make sense if RIM and Google take a similar approach. However, there are still some people out there who could benefit from a the features of a full BES server. Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope there is a similar way to connect the BES to other e-mail services already offering Active-Sync.
    I am a Mobile Device Management consultant, focusing primarily on BlackBerry Enterprise Server with Exchange & Lotus Domino e-mail.
    Thanked by:
    dosto (03-14-2013) 

Global Posts
    3,059 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidArmageddon View Post
    This will also allow your google apps admin perform a device wipe if the phone is lost or stolen.
    This option from the google apps control panel only wipes the exchange account off the device right? ie: would remove that particular email account, and the contacts and calendars associated with it, but it doesn't actually trigger a full security wipe like was possible through BES does it?

I've been too chicken to push the button to see what happens..

EDIT: you can though trigger a full secuirty wipe, remote lock or change password from the Blackberry Protect web interface.. so really the only missing feature is IT policies, which I have no use for as a small organization.

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Just an update...I got a Z10 on Tuesday from TMO. My Google Apps (for Biz) seems to be syncing perfectly for email, contacts and calendar. So far so good. Looks like I'll be selling my 9900 on ebay and dropping GBES ($10/mo).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Update from 3/28 post: I started experiencing some contact syncing issues over the last few days. ExchangeMyMail is now offering BES10 support for GBES (Google Apps). I added my Z10 to it today. Everything is syncing fine again. Considering I use my BB for work extensively, I don't mind the $10/mo I pay for BES (GBES). On a side note, the Blackberry Balance is a nice feature too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

There's an official kb on integrating a GApps account http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33472
    Works well for me, and I think a similar kb is available for bes10 config.
    Wolf

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dosto View Post
    Update from 3/28 post: I started experiencing some contact syncing issues over the last few days. ExchangeMyMail is now offering BES10 support for GBES (Google Apps). I added my Z10 to it today. Everything is syncing fine again. Considering I use my BB for work extensively, I don't mind the $10/mo I pay for BES (GBES). On a side note, the Blackberry Balance is a nice feature too.
    dosto,
    have you had any problems pulling corporate Address List while composing an email on your Z10? Cause, I cannot make this feature work, everything else is working and sync'ing perfectly.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Leo, to date, I have not experienced any difficulties with pulling corporate address list/contacts while composing an email on my Z10. I just checked this function by attempting to pull several different contacts while composing an email and it seemed to work fine. For now, everything is working great.

I did run into a problem with the HUB. I discussed it here: Some emails not showing up in HUB?

Fortunately, we were able to fix the issue by deleting Z10 from the BES and adding it back.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Very Interesting. ActiveSync for BB10 has been glitchy to say the least in terms of syncing, inviting contacts to meetings, missing folders aka labels etc. I am interested in knowing where there is official BES10 for Google Apps support. AS you can see here:
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/appsconnector Google Apps Connector for Blackberry is only Officially supported by google with BlackBerry Enterprise 5.0.3 (recommended) and BES Express which is what I currently use. I do not see a connector for BlackBerry Enterprise 10 being *officially* supported and documented. Do you find the performance better than ActiveSync?
    BlackBerry Phone's I own, have owned and used:
    Q10
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9860
    Curve 9360
    PlayBook 64GB
    Torch 9800
    Bold 9000
    Pearl 8100 *my first bb*
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts