Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Duplicate Entries

Long story short, I had to do an Enterprise Activation on my already functioning Blackberry Curve (already up and running BES). Having done this, I've got double calendar and contact entries now. If I go to Options on either app, it shows two databases (both called Desktop). One says the wireless synchonization is not available and the other says "Yes". All the data on the 'Yes" one is what I want to keep.

Short of going through calendar and contacts and deleting every other entry, is there a quick way to get rid of all the duplicate entries on the BB?

I have Desktop Manager installed, but don't use it for anything, since all my syncs are done wirelessly through BES.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts

Any easy way to get rid of the duplicate calendar entries, if you wirelessly sync, is to go into the calendar options. Right after the options screen opens just type the letters 'rset', without the quotes of course. You will get a popup message letting you know that this will erase your calendar and reload it from the server. Just say yes to that message. All of the calendar entries will be pulled down from your mail server after that.

For your contacts issue. Again this only applies if you sync wirelessly although you could sync with the Desktop Manager to obtain the same goal. Make sure that all of the contacts that are synching through your BES are indeed accurate first.
    If they are follow the steps here: BlackBerry Search Results

After completing those steps force a wireless address book sync to get your contacts back on your device.

Hope this helps.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Wow! Thanks for the quick response. Calendar resolution worked great. The RIM directions say you've got to be connected to your computer to do the address book part, so I'll try that when I get to the office this morning.

Thanks again!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by yacoby54 View Post
    Any easy way to get rid of the duplicate calendar entries, if you wirelessly sync, is to go into the calendar options. Right after the options screen opens just type the letters 'rset', without the quotes of course. You will get a popup message letting you know that this will erase your calendar and reload it from the server. Just say yes to that message. All of the calendar entries will be pulled down from your mail server after that.
    After completing those steps force a wireless address book sync to get your contacts back on your device.

Hope this helps.
    This easily ranks as the most helpful thing I've read today! Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Thanks for this. Great info to have. I also have 2 address books showing in my address book options. The info above doesn't specify how to remove the second one entirely, only the duplicate entries (which worked perfectly, BTW).
    CrackBerry Newbie

This is great (type 'rset' after options screen shows) but it does not seem to work on my Pearl 8100? Any advice as the solutions above would be exactly what I need as well for duplicate calendar & contacts- but for a Pearl 8100.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Smile Removes dups in contact too

You are a genius! It works if you type rset in contacts too and that has resycned and removed duplicates in my contacts. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default It does work on the Pearl 8110

Quote Originally Posted by sjhaynes View Post
    This is great (type 'rset' after options screen shows) but it does not seem to work on my Pearl 8100? Any advice as the solutions above would be exactly what I need as well for duplicate calendar & contacts- but for a Pearl 8100.
    I performed this on my Pearl 8110 after a couple of tries. You have to use multi-tap, so hit '11??12' (this equals 'rset' in multitap). One of the few times I wish for a full qwerty, but it's still worth it to me to have the smaller size.

Thanks so much, I thought I was going to have to wipe again just after I got everything back to how I wanted it.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by alwild View Post
    You are a genius! It works if you type rset in contacts too and that has resycned and removed duplicates in my contacts. Thanks!
    I have a Curve 8310. I can't see how this works in contacts (it doesn't, for me). It works in calender though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

For your contacts issue. Again this only applies if you sync wirelessly although you could sync with the Desktop Manager to obtain the same goal. Make sure that all of the contacts that are synching through your BES are indeed accurate first.
    If they are follow the steps here: BlackBerry Search Results

Hope this helps.
    Great tip! I just used this to help a co-worker and it worked like a charm! Thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have attempted clearing the address book using the desktop manager but all it does is clear out the duplicate entries. Clearing the evice leaves a full set of addresses that do not show up on the desktop manager. As soon as I turn wireless sync back on Lotus Notes starts populating the device with a full set of addresses thus showing duplicates.

?????
    CrackBerry Newbie

Props to you yacoby54! Man....that is some good information, and saved me A LOT of wasted time. THANKS!
    One more thing though. The other address book (Desktop) under "contact options" is still there, although it is empty. Any ideas on how to remove it??
    CrackBerry User

I have yet to test the RSET method on our handsets but if it works that's a great trick. Phillip, I'll tell you how I've been resolving our duplicate calendar issues (common after enterprise activation) as it will probably also resolve your "two calendars" issue.

1) Switch calendar wireless sync off (if you have an IT policy set then your BES admin will likely have to do this)
    2) Do a battery pull
    3) Fire up desktop manager and plug in Blackberry
    4) Under backup/restore choose "advanced"
    5) In the database list find any "calendar" entries and chose to clear them
    6) Go into Synchronisation and configure Calendar only to sync to MS Outlook (or whatever mail client you use) and run the sync
    7) Switch wireless sync back on

You might also try looking under options/advanced options/service books to see if you have duplicate CICAL entries.
    CrackBerry User

I'm not able to get the RSET trick to work. I have a 8707 on BES 4.1 here with a duplicated calendar, when I go into calendar/options and type rset nothing happens.

Am I missing something?
    CrackBerry User

I have the same problem and just did this ("rset") on my Storm. But only 1 instance of each calendar event was deleted. So then when the Storm pulled down the calendar from my server again, everything was again duplicated.

Any suggestions? Thanks much, T
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Delete Service Books

You will need to delete all of the service book entries for that calendar account. These are found in the options -> advanced options -> Service Books (remember to delete only the ones for the calendar entries that are duplicate.)

Once those are all deleted, have your IT department resend the service books to your device.
    CrackBerry Newbie

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I had over 3000 entries in my contacts because it sync'd wrong...now it is all fixed! You rock!
    CrackBerry User

What are the steps for doing this rset if you're just syncing with Desktop Manager for Mac (not using a BES)? I have several occasions saved on my calendar and each one has duplicates, but the duplicate occassion (ie. Anniversary) is on the next day (which is incorrect). I have my ical divided into categories for work, personal, blackberry (for items I input on the device), etc.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Blackberry 8330 / MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / iPod Touch 8g (1st gen.)
    CrackBerry Newbie

The easiest method that has worked for me for my Curve and my Storm is using an App called Contacts Cleaner. You can get it at Blackberry App World - it's created by Beaver Creek Consulting Company.

I tried other methods which ended up not working and causing my comptuer to crash!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,519 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Nicely :)

OK i tried the Rset thing and it deleted all my contacts and then when it wirelessly synced only 43 of the 719 transfered over.... now im trying to just reload an old backup but it wont let me reload my adress book!!! Any suggestions?
    Mista Los
    BlackBerry...its NOT a phone... Its a Lifestyle!-Mista Los

Follow me at your own risk :
    www.Twitter.com/Realestatepro Los@Crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

If only 43 contacts synced over the air it suggests the BES stumbled on contact 44, perhaps due to invalid characters being in the contact. Personally I would create a backup contacts folder in Outlook and move all contacts to it. Then gradually move contacts back, allowing sync to occur, to try and identify the problem contact.
    Personal website and blog | Flickr photostream
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Easy Duplicate Fix

I've read many posts but stumbled across an easy solution, and free.

1. Get gMail if you don't have it already. It works great with BB anyhow.
    2. Sync gMail to your BB. Instructions are on gMail.
    3. Make sure gMail has all the contacts which are also on your BB after sync.
    4. In gMail click on contacts then there's an option to "Find Duplicates".
    5. gMail will then give you an option to "Merge" duplicates, use it.
    6. Last step is to sync your BB to gMail again using your BB. When you originally downloaded gMail a google sync icon will have been downloaded to your BB, this is what you use to sync to gMail, contacts, calendar, tasks, etc will all be sync'd when you choose sync.
    7. Smile, you're done and didn't spend a dime!

Hope this helps! It worked great for me and I'm a newb to all this syncing business. If I did it, so can you!

canusa09
    CrackBerry User

Default RSET on BB Curve 8520

I tested the RSET function on my BB Curve 8520.. It is connected to BES and it did not reload my calendar....
    Please advise how I can resolve this.. I tried to have service book resent and still does not work...
    Thank you in advance...