CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Pay

Does anyone out there actually get paid for having their crackberries turned on 24/7? Seems like their should be some compensation for being on call. I'm a reporter for the Toronto Globe and Mail working on a story about this.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,333 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin Point Accuracy

I don't, but I guess that might partly be by choice. If I was to push it, am sure I could get paid for it, i.e. being available 24/7/365, since I work in I.T.

But, on an I.T. front, I don't want to be available 24/7. Now, playing with my BlackBerry 24/7 that is another story...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

Default Yeah, it's called a job

I don't specifically get paid for having my corporate Blackberry switched on and with me 24hrs a day, but if you work in IT, (like I do) there are many positions that require that level of availability.

It comes down to an individual's acceptance of the total package - demands vs rewards, and recognizing the responsibilities associated with your position within the firm. For our staff in network operations, carrying a Blackberry 24/7 is invaluable since numerous events are setup to trigger an email alert, ie. server disk-capacity reaching a certain level, an abnormal temperature in a server room, a server that is no longer responding, a WAN link down etc.

In addition, I have lost count of the times when an email of complaint, or one detailing a specific need has been sent during the weekend from a high-level executive. When there are issues to deal with, or demands to be met, a single email sent via a Blackberry during the weekend can prevent a small incident escalating into a big issue by Monday.
    Last edited by Berryman; 04-12-2007 at 04:50 PM.
    Retired Forums Moderator

I guess if your a salaried employee, you are essentially getting paid for 24/7 coverage.
  5. dtd
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by kasperapd View Post
    I guess if your a salaried employee, you are essentially getting paid for 24/7 coverage.
    as with being a business owner... taking the good with the bad.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts

Starting today, I'm going to be turning in an expense sheet for the $44.99 that I pay for BB unlimited data on my BB since it's hooked into the BES server that I setup for myself and have since converted most people in my office to. It surprised the hell outa me since I'm on call 24/7/365 and am just getting back to work after another stroke. This is the only company that I've worked for in IT where I wasn't supplied with a company phone but I didn't complain. It wasn't in my offer when I started that I was on call but I always have been since I started even though they tell me I'm not.
    audit
    ------------------------------------------------
    No Longer RETIRED Forums Moderator
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,333 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin Point Accuracy

Ha! Being on call was not in my offer, or even discussed per se' in my interview! Yet, everyday I feel like am on call 24/7/365...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Blackberry Pay

Quote Originally Posted by penderpat View Post
    Does anyone out there actually get paid for having their crackberries turned on 24/7? Seems like their should be some compensation for being on call. I'm a reporter for the Toronto Globe and Mail working on a story about this.
    I do - my company pays half
    CrackBerry User

I've been on call 24/7/365 since November of 1994! We're supposed to get paid for this??
    "A patch in time saves kill -9" - Jack Benney

PIN: 32B12EF9

http://truehowto.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    PIN
    21DA38F3

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benney View Post
    I've been on call 24/7/365 since November of 1994! We're supposed to get paid for this??
    Only if you're paid hourly and actually have to come in due to a call. Otherwise, if you're salaried or don't have to report to work due to a call (not sure how this might impact those who can log into their job's network and work a problem from home), you don't get paid. I believe that is consistent with FLSA.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,340 Global Posts

Post Time for a big check.....

Sounds like Navilyn and Jack are owed some "back pay" -lots
    Best regards,
    Mara "Dear Berry" - advice for those addicted, trying to settle a dispute or wondering!
    BOLD 9700 New Love/IPhone 3GS - Very cool but not a BB
    BOLD 9000- Still Love & with me/Curve - Old Love/
    8700c - Old Love