Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BergerKing
  • 1 Post By BergerKing
  • 1 Post By BergerKing
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Boost Mobile roaming?

Hey guys, posting here since I can't find the Boost thread (think it got deleted.)

I want to get the 9310 since it's so cheap, just to hold me over til the the QWERTY10 is available.

I live in Northern CA and plan on travelling to the east coast, South Florida.

Will I incur roaming charges? Will service not be available?

Thanks

Global Posts
    31,868 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

From my understanding, you will only have service where Sprint has service on their network. It will not roam onto other networks like a Sprint phone would, say onto Verizon's network. I experienced a similar situation when I had Virgin Mobile, it just wouldn't do anything where there was no Sprint service.
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
    Thanked by:
    JR A (01-13-2013) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    From my understanding, you will only have service where Sprint has service on their network. It will not roam onto other networks like a Sprint phone would, say onto Verizon's network. I experienced a similar situation when I had Virgin Mobile, it just wouldn't do anything where there was no Sprint service.
    Interesting, I figured that much. Or at the least charge roaming fees.

I had Boost in the past but wasn't sure about now since it's been 4 years since I used them.

Can anyone else shed light on the matter?

Also, does anyone use Boost around South FL?

Global Posts
    31,868 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

If there's no off-network service, there would be no roaming fees incurred. Boost is available nationwide on Sprint's network, I've had coverage in the bulk of Florida, and you might check a Sprint coverage map for where ya wanna be.
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Thanked by:
    JR A (01-11-2013) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Ft. Lauderdale area is where I'll be.

Looks like Sprint gets coverage there according to their map. Although it's the fringe parts of town I'm worried about since Sprints coverage map isn't that accurate.

People I know in Ft Lauderdale with Sprint say they get reception, but they're not the most tech savvy and they could just be getting reception due to Verizon's towers and not know it....

Global Posts
    31,868 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Quote Originally Posted by JR A View Post
    Ft. Lauderdale area is where I'll be.

Looks like Sprint gets coverage there according to their map. Although it's the fringe parts of town I'm worried about since Sprints coverage map isn't that accurate.

People I know in Ft Lauderdale with Sprint say they get reception, but they're not the most tech savvy and they could just be getting reception due to Verizon's towers and not know it....
    I've had no issues down that way, only see roaming when I'm welln out of metro areas and off main highways. If the price is that good, it's worth a shot, and if it doesn't pan out, go for a re-sell.
    Thanked by:
    JR A (01-13-2013) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    I've had no issues down that way, only see roaming when I'm welln out of metro areas and off main highways. If the price is that good, it's worth a shot, and if it doesn't pan out, go for a re-sell.
    Yup that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. At the moment, I've been holding out til BB10 ever since my 9930 cracked, and I couldn't bring myself to spend $300+ when BB10 is right around the corner.

For now I have an unlocked Tour on TMobile which is fine. But considering how cheap the 9310 is, that might be something to consider til QWERTY BB10 comes.

Global Posts
    31,868 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Quote Originally Posted by JR A View Post
    Yup that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. At the moment, I've been holding out til BB10 ever since my 9930 cracked, and I couldn't bring myself to spend $300+ when BB10 is right around the corner.

For now I have an unlocked Tour on TMobile which is fine. But considering how cheap the 9310 is, that might be something to consider til QWERTY BB10 comes.
    Oh, goodness, my old Tour got to where we couldn't get it to run data again when we brought it out of retirement briefly because my wife knocked her phone into a glass of water in a 9.2 dive and soak. It now serves as a backup media player, and will soon go to the recyclers now that I'm using the Style for that function.

The newer Curve is probably better able to handle the load than the Tour is, so that's a win. If Sprint had gotten me a decent price on a 9930, I'd have gone for it. But the best price I saw it get to was $100, half again as expensive as the two Android phones I've had in the last 9 months. But until 10 gets released, this is still my best option.