A lot of the negative comments on Android probably relate to the older versions of the OS. However, Android M is everything as good as BB10 with only one exception, the security measures that are built into BB10. Apparently, that advantage will also disappear once BlackBerry releases its own version of Android N.

I've been using DTEK 50 for a couple weeks and frankly, there isn't a single thing that I miss from BB10. Instead, all the apps run smoothly and work. Absolutely no fuss and no compromise. With shortcuts and notifications, I am more efficient with the DTEK 50. I also find myself using the Hub less and less. The battery life on my DTEK 50 is even better than my Z30. As for controlling app permissions, you can do that just as easily as BB10. You also have the fantastic DTEK app to help you monitor which app accesses which part of your device as it happens and how often in the past.

I also have packed away my Z30 for good.
    Two things surprise me :
    Why isn't the HUB useful to you
    And how is battery life better than the Z30!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    08-29-16 01:05 AM
    The z30 hardware is of much higher quality that the d50 but the software is becoming obsolete. I consider Android a disjointed mess compared to bb10 but if bb10 is not being updated......

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-29-16 11:51 AM
    Two things surprise me :
    Why isn't the HUB useful to you
    And how is battery life better than the Z30!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I can read lots of short emails and messages right off notification. I can also delete emails right from notification without touching the Hub. I also find it is a touch snappier to get to notifications. I also have the phone set up so that's I can see the notifications without unlocking the phone. I am becoming less reliant on the Hub.

As for the battery, it has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum that the battery in the DTEK 50 has a slight larger capacity than the Z30's due to the higher voltage (4.4 vs 3.8). For my personal use, I run 2-3 Android apps almost non stop for a big part of the day. It is less efficient to run Android on a BB10 device. These two factors together make the battery life better on the DTEK 50 for me. I usually have to charge the Z30 by 5pm. Now the DTEK battery last till 11pm with 5-6 on-screen hours.
    08-29-16 11:48 PM
    I agree, I do like some of the dtek50. But I hate the battery!! Just now died on me on the middle of a call I still don't like android either. The hub is so much better in the Z30. File management is better. Overall the Z30 is so much nicer , I feel it's quality is far above the Dtek 50. I'm think I will switch back to the Z30 for now. Just have to get the Sim card setup at AT&T again. Why a nano Sim in the Dtek?? Stupid.

Posted via CB10
    How is the hub better on dtek50? The z30 hub is easily better... the z30 looks expensive whereas the dtek50 looks budget... file manager was always a plus point to android... nano sim is plain stupid.... I dunno why a z30 user would shift to dtek... except for apps

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 10:33 AM
    Is it really fair to compare a 2013 Z30 to a 2016 D50? . Both are good phones. My 2 year old Z30 is still going strong. It remains to be seen if the Dtek is as durable.

Regardless, I think that most could adapt to the limitations of any phone. I use my entry level Q5 more than my Passport and don't feel like I am missing anything. My work does not allow Android, so the dtek is semi useless to me. I have an Android tablet that I never use, so apps aren't important, but I am probably in the minority in this respect.

Having said that, if I ever feel the need for apps on a phone, the Dtek would be at the top of my list.

Via Q5

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 09:32 PM
    I bought an unlocked dtek from Staples but my carrier is Telus. Do I need the new sim before I use the content transfer? I'm not sure what I do first. I have the phone but dont have the dim yet. What should I go to my z30 before the switch?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 06:49 PM
    Z30 is a beast but if I decide that I want Android then there are better and cheaper options than BlackBerry. After my custom for the Playbook, Z10 and Z30 BlackBerry don't deserve loyalty anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Conite already made a good point but I'll agree with you that there are better/cheaper options than a dtek50 (when dtek50 isn't on a great sale as it just is/was). But, the dtek60 is definitely a competitor against other high(er) end devices, both in performance and cost.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 07:01 PM
    Conite already made a good point but I'll agree with you that there are better/cheaper options than a dtek50 (when dtek50 isn't on a great sale as it just is/was). But, the dtek60 is definitely a competitor against other high(er) end devices, both in performance and cost.

Posted via CB10
    Better is subjective. There is no better device for less with anywhere near the security credentials of the DTEK50. On top of that, the BlackBerry-exclusive components of the app suite (keyboard, productivity tab, swipe gestures, etc) are invaluable to me.
    12-02-16 07:09 PM
    A lot of the negative comments on Android probably relate to the older versions of the OS. However, Android M is everything as good as BB10 with only one exception, the security measures that are built into BB10. Apparently, that advantage will also disappear once BlackBerry releases its own version of Android N.

I've been using DTEK 50 for a couple weeks and frankly, there isn't a single thing that I miss from BB10. Instead, all the apps run smoothly and work. Absolutely no fuss and no compromise. With shortcuts and notifications, I am more efficient with the DTEK 50. I also find myself using the Hub less and less. The battery life on my DTEK 50 is even better than my Z30. As for controlling app permissions, you can do that just as easily as BB10. You also have the fantastic DTEK app to help you monitor which app accesses which part of your device as it happens and how often in the past.

I also have packed away my Z30 for good.
    This had been my experience since switching from Z30 to LG V20. The new Android OS, nougat, has come a long way. I initially installed the hub but have since removed it and haven't missed it due to similar features in nougat.
    12-03-16 07:59 AM
    Z30 is a beast
    That should be it's tag line. Seen that line used many times on the forums. Won't be giving mine up anytime soon.

Posted using my Awesome BlackBerry Z30
    12-03-16 01:57 PM
    I'd like to win one and see how it goes. I can't use my carrier's LTE with my Z30 version. But I love my phone though.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 08:45 PM
    I bought an unlocked dtek from Staples but my carrier is Telus. Do I need the new sim before I use the content transfer? I'm not sure what I do first. I have the phone but dont have the dim yet. What should I go to my z30 before the switch?

Posted via CB10
    No, you don't need the new sim first to do the content transfer, but you probably should if you want the dtek to be your new main phone, as all your messages would be migrated over.
    12-04-16 09:56 PM
    I should say in response to the op, I had my dtek50 since launch and I do like it. Transition took a little bit of time, but once I got the hang of it, things were great.

But I fired up my z30 the other day to get the 10.3.3 update, and man alive the z30 felt smooth and solid. I almost considered switching back. But then I remembered all the hours I spend with my son playing pokemon go and how many Facebook messages I get and want to check on the go and how many groups I'm in on whatsapp, so I can't really go back as tempting as it is.

I'm not really an apps guy, but I do consider myself a social guy. To keep up with my friends I need the messaging platforms that they are on. That is just how it is, unfortunately.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-04-16 11:02 PM
    This had been my experience since switching from Z30 to LG V20. The new Android OS, nougat, has come a long way. I initially installed the hub but have since removed it and haven't missed it due to similar features in nougat.
    So you are saying with Nougat, the messaging app that comes built-in can connect and show all emails, IM's, texts, FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. like the Hub?

Please elaborate as the reason for me still wanting to stick with BlackBerry is because it comes pre-installed with the Hub for Android. Yes I know I can purchase the app on other Android devices but than it would have to be monthly subscription no?
    12-07-16 08:30 AM
    Is there Hub-like app in Nougat?

Posted through my  Z30
    12-07-16 01:59 PM
    So you are saying with Nougat, the messaging app that comes built-in can connect and show all emails, IM's, texts, FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. like the Hub?

Please elaborate as the reason for me still wanting to stick with BlackBerry is because it comes pre-installed with the Hub for Android. Yes I know I can purchase the app on other Android devices but than it would have to be monthly subscription no?
    Yes, there's a 30 day trial after which a subscription is required. To clarify my comments about not missing the hub as much, the features in nougat have been described in earlier post. Yes, the hub integrates messages in one place. With nougat, I can access my almkst all my messages, emails and text in the pull down notification. Of course you'd have to open the app to reply etc. Some messages can be replied to when in another app but for the most part I have not any problems or put another way, I have gotten used to accessing all my messages this way. I thought I'd miss the hub terribly but so far not.
    12-07-16 02:00 PM
    The Z30 is awesome but the screen was always a little to dark for me and the visual voice mail doesn't always work. Sometimes restarting it will bring it current sometimes not. Deleting messages work for a little while then it has to be restarted, had the same issue with Z10. I loved my Z10 except for battery life and only went with the z30 because I broke my 3rd Z10 screen and they were already out of Eol. I have considered another Z10 frequently but the battery is a problem and the Z30 has more processing power. I have a S5 active and the Priv that don't get much use. At first the delicious screens are attractive and the S5 fake camera optimization (until you blow them up). But the aggravation of using android wipes that away and the fact that after some heavy use they start to screw up pretty bad. The Priv camera blows the s5 away and beats down the Z30 too so I went on a hunt for my next phone and what I came up with after looking hard at the s7 and dtek 60 is I f-in hate Android compared to BB10. BB10 is so easy to use, it's quicker on almost any task except for camera focus and Web browser but the functions of peek and flow are undeniable when put to the test. So what I want is an updated z30 with a brighter screen, better camera and speedier processor running BB10. Well it's there it's called the Passport but I just don't want the form factor. Why hasn't BlackBerry given an all in BB10 standard smartphone 5-5.3 screen I can't understand at least do it for the customers they have left. Max everything out and sell it for 200 less than the top 2. So in the end I decided on the IPhone 7 because of his ease of use compared to Android ( yes even BlackBerry Android) and it has the specs I want. Now doing business with files on IPhone sucks compared to BB10 but I guess I get 30 days to see if I can live with it or not. But between the Z30 and dtek 50 I would still go with the Z30 all day long and I maybe back to the Z30 after trying IPhone again

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    12-08-16 11:01 PM
    Fortunately, I own both devices, for me Z30, i.e. BlackBerry 10 remains superior for its flexibility. I I have to send e-mails, attachments and files, It works just like a PC. So, I'm still using Z30 for.most of my working activities. Fitted with a flip-wallet case, It is also an elegant, fashionable device
    Z30 vs DTEK 50-img-20161209-wa001.jpg
    Z30 vs DTEK 50-img-20161209-wa000.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bigjman and Curtis Blair like this.
    12-09-16 04:44 AM
    Still running the Z30 by choice.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-16 12:07 PM
    Well the iPhone 7 camera in the dark is pretty amazing. It's almost like what you see with your own eyes with no flash. But the rest of the phone fails to impress me against the z30. The screen is brighter but the colors look washed out. The speakers maybe a little louder on music but the Z30 is perfect already. No hub, it's just so simple. The IOS widget screen gets on my nerves. The syncing of my pictures from my old iPhone is going to take a week at the rate it's going. Can we say micro sd .This missing audio jack is Clueless. I prefer wired headphones and late at night I listen to music sometimes while browsing with the charger plugged in because the phone is going to die is now a total pain. Sure there is a 3rd party adapter to buy to listen and charge at the same time but who wants to keep up with that and you know it's not going to last long. Just not feeling it BB10 is still the best OS period.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 08:54 AM
    Well fingers crossed that I can test the DTEK50 after this contest.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 09:27 AM
    I have both the z30 and the dtek50 both are great phones but once you use the dtek50 after the z30 it feels like you have moved to a budget phone from a high end gadget. Dtek50 is good but bb10 phones are much better

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree, as I own both devices too and I have had enough time to compare their properties. Despite all the BlackBerry stuff such as DTEK security app and the new Hub, Android 6 still looks like a big toy. Fortunately, it is smooth enough to allow basic functions. For productivity, on the other hand, you have to rely too much on clouds to store your files. I had to root it by myself searching the app store for a file manager. Cam scanning is poor, as long as you don't want to pay extra charges for it. Email sending and attachment setting isn't as immediate as in BlackBerry 10. However, photo and video quality are above average. Still believe Android phones are just as different racing cars with the same engine.

From my awesome Z30
    12-17-16 02:14 AM
    Conite, I have finally seen the light, when my BB10 device+iPhone solution failed me at Disney World the other day. With my 6 Plus running out of juice and me forgetting my external battery charger, I turned to my Q10 and Classic, both of which could not handle the Android "My Disney Experience" app. Even my sister's Passport failed.

Now that BB10 has failed me for the last time (me channeling my inner Vader), I will buy a BlackBerry Android device by spring. I prefer a PKB Mercury, but the DTEK50 would be a good buy for any Z10 or Z30 owner needing to transition to hardened and secure Android soon.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    OK, just to summarise the situation, your BB10 phones couldn't handle the My Disney app, you didn't like signing on to the web site instead, so that was the last straw.

Because, you know, we all use My Disney everyday, but not, um, email, phone, calendar, task management.

That's OK, I get everyone has a different usage pattern, so BB10 may not work for everybody.
    Yes, I know, if it's like the 99 th time that one-off app isn't working that could sure be annoying. I'm lucky so far I guess, the times I run into that situation, I head home, download the Android app from Google play store ( on my Z30), then copy the apk to my other BB10 phones. Still haven't found an app that didn't work yet.
    12-18-16 11:17 AM
    OK, just to summarise the situation, your BB10 phones couldn't handle the My Disney app, you didn't like signing on to the web site instead, so that was the last straw.

Because, you know, we all use My Disney everyday, but not, um, email, phone, calendar, task management.

That's OK, I get everyone has a different usage pattern, so BB10 may not work for everybody.
    Yes, I know, if it's like the 99 th time that one-off app isn't working that could sure be annoying. I'm lucky so far I guess, the times I run into that situation, I head home, download the Android app from Google play store ( on my Z30), then copy the apk to my other BB10 phones. Still haven't found an app that didn't work yet.
    So now after the unexpected hardware issues I've experienced the past couple of months, I found a great deal on B&H for an LG V20 and took the plunge. Nice prices for the DTEK devices, too! But for me, it was important to have that user-replaceable battery. And I do enjoy the BlackBerry Launcher and Hub+ suite. So I expect to be happy for the next year at least.
    12-19-16 10:24 PM
    Good luck with your LG. My pops had an LG4 that was good until it was not. I believe a hardware issue. Of course the newer devices are certainly better manufactured.
    12-26-16 06:35 PM
78 1234