I shoot video on my Z30 in 720p and prefer the front-facing camera so I can see how things are appearing. That means I have no control over the shooting mode (which is only controllable with the rear-facing camera), not that that seems to offer any help anyway since my only choices would be Auto, Night, or Beach/Snow. Auto is surely the default with the front-facing camera. It results in massively large shifts in how the exposure is being handled when the scene shifts in the slightest way. I raise my arm or move m body a little and the whole scene darkens up drastically, or it goes very light. It just keeps shifting all over the map with a simple shoot of a talking-head type recording.

Please tell me there's a way to lock in a normal exposure level so this crazy drifting all over the map does not occur.

Thanks.
    06-14-14 01:30 AM
    If you use the front facing camera, you always have something in front of it, right? That's why the light and focus change. I don't know of any way to make the settings stay static for recording sorry.
    06-14-14 07:07 AM
    What???? The problem is that I "always have something in front of it?!?!?" Exactly what would be the point of using a camera if there was no subject in front of it that it was looking at??? I'd love to know how that trick works. No comprendo.
    06-14-14 12:27 PM
    Not sure why you want use the front cam as quality and features are a lot less, you mentioned " so you can see what's on it" but since you can also do that from the rear one, using the screen, you may want also to be in the video? If that is the case you could use a tripod unless you are moving the device around to follow the action, in which case you might find a third party app. Front cam seems to be for "selfies" type photos and video calling where you, the subject, does not move around much ( in relation to the camera)

Z30 144GB
    06-15-14 01:12 AM
    Thanks. I actually am shooting myself on-camera, hence using front-facing to see how I'm framed. I am using a tripod at all times but it doesn't seem to help as I'm still getting massive shifts in lighting on minor movements of my body.

I have not tried it using the rear-facing camera. I'm aware that one allows higher res, which I don't need, and also some controls over exposure, but, as I mentioned, the only viable choice seems to be "auto" and from what I can gather that's what it's using by default with the front-facing camera and is why I'm getting all those shifts... as the "auto" function keeps "adjusting" for the slightest shifts of the scene. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems obvious that Auto would do the same thing using the rear-facing camera. But I will try it if you're suggesting it will be better.
    06-15-14 01:18 AM
    Let us know how it goes, once you set up the camera on a tripod you should be able to test your movement limit/ boundaries and stay within them....no point doing a triple somersault if it's out of frame ;-)

Z30 144GB
    06-15-14 01:43 AM
    Let us know how it goes, once you set up the camera on a tripod you should be able to test your movement limit/ boundaries and stay within them....no point doing a triple somersault if it's out of frame ;-)

Z30 144GB
    I'm getting odd comments in this thread for some reason. I quote from my prior post: "I am using a tripod at all times but it doesn't seem to help..."
    06-15-14 06:34 AM
    Yep, saw that, and added that you will need to test the area that the camera will see...fairly obvious but said it anyway....hope it works for you....we do similar at sporting events so we enjoy the game instead of being stuck behind a phone....

Z30 144GB
    06-15-14 04:08 PM