To me, it gets really bright in the dark but it is also quite dim under the sunlight. I hope this screen visibility issue would be addressed in the upcoming update

The Z30 has a really awesome display. Feels great when viewing emails on it. Just that the brightness sometimes gets in the way. Other than that I'm loving it!

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 12:39 AM
    The Z30 screen has pluses and minuses.

On the plus side, you get great contrast since blacks are truly black so, combined with a dark them, things seems super sharp on the phone. That 720p resolution seems as good as 1080p. Also, if you use your phone at night in bedside mode, you can have the screen on and not have it too bright since the only part that will glow is the clock where with any IPS/LCD screen, even what is black will still light a bit of grey colour.

On the downside, due to the way BlackBerry manages the screen brightness, it doesn't go dim enough on the low side, or bright enough on the high side. Case in point, at night with no lights on, the screen is way to bright at minimum settings (I would prefer something that goes at least half as bright as what it does now). And on the flip side, if you try to read the screen outdoors in sunlight, it is essentially useless at maximum.

Both of these 'faults' could be corrected by software. If you install, say, the Starbucks Android app and use it to pay, you can see that even at maximum brightness the screen goes into a torch mode that is much brighter which I would love to have as a toggle for those times I'm outside and just need to see something easily on my phone. But the phone has been out a year now and BB hasn't done anything to fix the brightness settings so I don't think they will. Meaning, essentially, that you end up just living with it. (No phone after all is perfect unfortunately).

Personally I hope that BB also scraps their whole 'auto brightness' settings and uses what every other manufacturer does (i.e. auto brightness on or off and when off, a slider to move up the scale rather than the silly 'always on auto brightness with a slider to make it less bright or more bright'). But again, no phone is perfect...
    12-07-14 06:56 AM
    I am not a fan of IPS displays or any other types of displays. For me, it radiates so much brightness and very bright colors. Putting it to lower settings makes the display useless because it can no longer utilize all of the colors it produce. Specially the white color.

Using my tablet with IPS display for long periods of time makes me dizzy, and eventually got head ache.

AMOLED is perfect for me. In fact all of my mobile phones are oled, from samsung omnia pro, to nokia N8. Perfect for me. Yes it is dim but thats how oled works. It produces vivid colors and even on high brightness. No white backlit radiating what so ever.

BlackBerry Q10 Manila
    Last edited by i_Sako; 12-07-14 at 10:40 AM.
    Russell Apolinario likes this.
    12-07-14 08:52 AM
53 123