Hey gang,

Damn, scratched my z30 screen on Christmas morning.

Does anyone know what the screen is made of?

Read a few threads here and there about gorilla glass being made of aluminium oxide and that something like 3M perfect it III trizact may work as its made of the same compounds.

Anyone know if this is worth trying? I know this topic can be contentious, but I'd like to try to fix or at least reduce the size of the scratch.

Thx,

J

BRON: a cron-like scheduler for BlackBerry 10 : BlackBerry 10 Apps | by Odd Element
    12-25-13 11:35 AM
    I'll never understand how people will take the time to fix a scratch on their screen but cant take a minute to put a screen protector on that will save them the hassle

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 11:45 AM
    I left the plastic that shipped on my Verizon Z30 until my clarivue ultra clears came in. I am still waiting for the XT glass to release.

To answer your question, it's a hardened glass. You can remove scratches but it's not worth it. You have to grind the glass down by hand with a jewelers compound and it will make it even easier to scratch as it removes the protective coatings off the glass. It also takes a very VERY long time to do by hand and using a drill may overheat the screen and damage it. Just put a screen protector on it and protect it from future scratches.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 11:49 AM
    ps,hope you have a cover for it as well.Good luck
    12-25-13 11:56 AM
    You're better off accepting the scratch

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 12:25 PM
    Just curious. How exactly did you scratch the screen?
    12-26-13 09:35 AM
    Even with Gorilla Glass it could've been scratched. Do some research, there are quite a few reports and even videos out there demonstrating how easily GG screens can be scratched in a regular daily use. I also had a phone using Gorilla Glass, even though I've been careful with it, it got some micro-scratches.

Regardless of the used glass: I always recommend getting a decent screen protector if you're really that worried about the scratches. Right now you can either replace the display, which is expensive or get a screen protector, it might cover the scratch a bit. I surely wouldn't use any polishing stuff which is meant to repair scratches.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    12-26-13 09:58 AM
    A matte screen protector might hide the scratch somewhat but I doubt the glossy one will.
    12-26-13 10:10 AM
    Get the government grade screen protector. You may very well be able to hide the scratch as the protection is very pliable and uses a solution sprayed on the product and comes with a squeegee to work out the bubbles.
    Note: follow all instructions and watch any video available before you attempt it yourself. It is easy to do if you take your time. Tip soak product, place on screen, work it in place with your wet fingers (spray on fingers) , use the squeegee flat and gently. If you start to stretch it by pushing to hard you will have problems.
    12-26-13 06:08 PM