Has anyone got this working? When I attempt to do this I get a message about the resolution not being supported, kind of useless.

BlackBerry user for 10 years.
    11-30-14 01:44 AM
    11-30-14 01:51 AM
    I haven't used WiDi with my Z30 but Miracast & DLNA works quite well.

The article linked in post # 2 is unnecessarily glowing on Apple Airplay and unnecessarily gloomy on Miracast, DLNA & WiDi.

I have both Miracast & DLNA working good here using a mix of BlackBerry, Western Digital, Panasonic & Samsung devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 08:12 AM
    Has anyone got this working? When I attempt to do this I get a message about the resolution not being supported, kind of useless.

BlackBerry user for 10 years.
    Which model of Samsung tv do you have?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 08:13 AM
    I have a Samsung smart tv 8000 is WiFi direct supported? If so how do I use it with my z10?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 08:34 AM
    You could check the manual of the TV to find out.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 08:54 AM
    For the Z30, go to Settings -> Media Sharing. Check whether you want to share music, videos, and photos. On the bottom, click Devices, and check the device you want to share with (ex. (TV) Samsung LED60).

Oh yeah, your Samsung Smart TV should be connected to WiFi, along with the phone. Personally, the connection was there, but it had a hard time streaming any video more than 100 MB. I thought keeping the phone near the router would help, but it didn't.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 09:13 AM
    How do you play video from Z30 to Samsung TV using WiDi?

I was able to connect my Z30 after struggling with the PBC or PIN thingy. However when I played video on my Z30 it was not able to do it. It says 'connecting...' and eventually it stopped with an error message saying 'file transfer failed'.

If I use DLNA, I can stream the video to Samsung TV however closed caption doesn't work.

... Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1154 ...
    12-14-14 01:53 PM
    Which model of Samsung tv?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 02:30 PM
    I haven't used WiDi with my Z30 but Miracast & DLNA works quite well.

The article linked in post # 2 is unnecessarily glowing on Apple Airplay and unnecessarily gloomy on Miracast, DLNA & WiDi.

I have both Miracast & DLNA working good here using a mix of BlackBerry, Western Digital, Panasonic & Samsung devices.

Posted via CB10
    Hi
    I bought the EZCAST dongle today but my Passport doesn't pick it up, not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not working with Passport ?

Can you advise.? I have a Samsung TV.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 02:48 PM
    I am pretty sure it works very well with the Roku 3. I have not heard if it works with the Roku Stick.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 04:06 PM
    Which model of Samsung tv?

Posted via CB10
    Series 5, UA40ES5600. It does not support Miracast, only WiFi Direct and DLNA (Samsung Link).

Also I found that in DLNA mode, I can not control the video from the phone, i.e. volume and player slider do not have effect.

12-14-14 09:20 PM
    Here is some info I found on the Samsung support website:

Wi-Fi Direct

Screen Menu > Network > Wi-Fi Direct > Try Now

You can connect a mobile device that supports Wi-Fi Direct to the TV without using a wireless router.

1. Enable Wi-Fi Direct on the mobile device and then launch Wi-Fi Direct. The TV automatically scans for and displays a list of available devices. The TV's name also appears on the mobile device.

2. Select the device from the list to initiate a connection. If a connection request is made by the TV, a permission message appears on the mobile device and vice versa. Accept the request to connect the mobile device to the TV.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 09:24 AM
    Here is some info I found on the Samsung support website:

Wi-Fi Direct

Screen Menu > Network > Wi-Fi Direct > Try Now

You can connect a mobile device that supports Wi-Fi Direct to the TV without using a wireless router.

1. Enable Wi-Fi Direct on the mobile device and then launch Wi-Fi Direct. The TV automatically scans for and displays a list of available devices. The TV's name also appears on the mobile device.

2. Select the device from the list to initiate a connection. If a connection request is made by the TV, a permission message appears on the mobile device and vice versa. Accept the request to connect the mobile device to the TV.

Posted via CB10
    In my case connecting the Z30 to the TV is not an issue. My phone's name appears on the TV as 'connected ' however when I try to share any media it doesn't work

12-15-14 01:54 PM
    Same issue with my Q10

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 01:59 PM
    In my case, connecting the Z30 to the TV is not an issue. My phone's name appears on the TV as 'connected', however when I try to share any media it doesn't work
    I have a similar setup using my Z30 with my Samsung blu-ray disk player. My Z30 is connected, and to share media, I have to use the Samsung bd-player remote, and scroll/select thru the onscreen menu to find media on the phone and then play it.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 02:35 PM
    I have a similar setup using my Z30 with my Samsung blu-ray disk player. My Z30 is connected, and to share media, I have to use the Samsung bd-player remote, and scroll/select thru the onscreen menu to find media on the phone and then play it.

Posted via CB10
    When I open my TV's signal source selection I can see this list: TV, USB, HDMI, and Network:Blackberry. So I selected the BlackBerry as the source, however no media is found. I moved a video file between the phone's internal storage and SD Card but still the TV can't see it. Could you tell me which folder do you store your media files?

12-15-14 02:59 PM
    It's amazing that after all these years, they still can't perfect WiDi, Miracast, DNLA on devices. Airplay works 10x better since about 3-4 years ago.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 03:55 PM
    When I open my TV's signal source selection I can see this list: TV, USB, HDMI, and Network:Blackberry. So I selected the BlackBerry as the source, however no media is found. I moved a video file between the phone's internal storage and SD Card but still the TV can't see it. Could you tell me which folder do you store your media files?
    On your BlackBerry did you go to Settings / Media Sharing / select "On" for what you want to share?

And then, at the bottom of that Settings screen, tap on Devices and check the list that appears. Is your tv on the list? If so, is it "checked" or "unchecked".
    It needs to be checked.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 07:31 PM
    It's amazing that after all these years, they still can't perfect WiDi, Miracast, DNLA on devices. Airplay works 10x better since about 3-4 years ago.
    What a comical comment? I can tell you that more than half the time my iFriends try to use Airplay, they can't get it to work. But they keep repeating their mantra "It Just Works" even when it quite often doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 07:33 PM
    On your BlackBerry did you go to Settings / Media Sharing / select "On" for what you want to share?

And then, at the bottom of that Settings screen, tap on Devices and check the list that appears. Is your tv on the list? If so, is it "checked" or "unchecked".
    It needs to be checked.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I found that my TV was not checked. It confused me because Play On actually works.

My findings are as follows:

1. Play On
    Play On works even without the TV is 'checked' in the phone 's Media Sharing allowed device list. Samsung Link / All Share also does not need to be started on the TV.

Start the video on Z30, tap the Play On menu, select the TV on the list. A pop-up screen will appears on the TV asking for permission. This happens only in the first time, once permission is granted later on the Play On will interrupt whatever TV is showing and start playing the video.

Using Play On, none of the media player control on Z30 works except 'play/pause' and 'disconnect'. Video closed caption doesn't work too (the file is in SRT format). I am not sure if this is because of I am using leaked OS.

2. Samsung Link
    The TV needs to be 'checked ' in the phone's Media Sharing allowed device list.

Start Samsung Link on the TV and browse to the video file on the phone and play it. Another way, on the TV open the signal Source menu, the phone is listed as 'Network : Blackberry XXXX'. Select it and then play the video.

Using this method, closed caption still doesn't work.

3. WiFi Direct
    This one doesn't work.

On the TV, go to menu and start the WiFi Direct. The phone is shown as disconnected.

On the phone, play the video, tap the Share button, then select WiFi Direct. The TV will be shown in the list.

Back to TV, click on the phone list to connect it. A pop-up screen will appear asking the authentication method PBC or PIN. Select PBC, then go back to the phone and tap on the TV on the list. The phone will be successfully connectes.

The phone then will try to send the video to TV, but after some time it will fail with error message "file transfer cancelled, no device is found". At this point, the phone disappeared from the TV's WiDi list.

I am not sure if the above steps are the correct procedure to use WiFi Direct but I couldn't figure out another way to get the phone shown as connected in the TV.

12-15-14 10:20 PM
    Why don't you select WiDi from the WiFi quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 02:41 PM
    Subscribed for tracking

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    12-16-14 02:46 PM
    Why don't you select WiDi from the WiFi quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    I did that and nothing happened. It seems that WiDi connection needs to be initiated from the TV.
    12-16-14 04:15 PM