Slow Joe,
    you need to get at least 10.3.1, it is a refreshing OS in every way, and it's really not that difficult. Search the forums, it will take about 25min to upgrade, you wont lose any of your data, it will an OTA simulated update, you'll love it, trust us!

If you came that far, from iPhone to BB10, you can do the extra mile and get to the latest OS!!
    Slow Joe and BionicKris like this.
    06-02-15 02:42 AM

What concerns me is if VZW is liquidating a bunch of stock of a poorly-selling phone, how much effort are they going to make to update to 10.3? I don't have a lot of faith. Maybe by Summer, if VZW hasn't updated yet, I'll take the chance and do it myself.
    You should try a leak, if you think your battery it's good on 10.2, the latest leak it's better.

Posted via Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    Slow Joe likes this.
    06-02-15 07:17 AM
    It's just too big for me. I prefer smaller phones; the 4-inch screen on the iPhone was fine. The Z30 is at the outer limit of what I want, and the iPhone 6+ is just too unwieldy. It's a shame because I know the battery is decent on the Plus.

If Apple made an iPhone with a 4-inch screen and a 2500 mAh battery, I think I would go back to them. But it won't happen. Apple is way more interested in thinness, and laws of physics prevent 2500 mAh from fitting in that form factor. It's stupid to me, but they wouldn't do it if customers wouldn't buy it in droves.
    I agree, if Z10 had a battery life, fm radio, good sound, and wireless antenna like Z30, would never change it for z30.
    Last edited by fadmin; 06-02-15 at 07:33 AM.
    Slow Joe likes this.
    06-02-15 07:21 AM
    Not to beat a dead horse here but you'll get a much better experience out of your Z30 once you make the leap to 10.3.1. Everything just works a lot better and lucky you, the Android version of Instagram works perfectly!

Although most would tell you to look at a native BB10 client version like iGenn or Insta10

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Slow Joe likes this.
    06-02-15 07:32 AM
    For better Android experience please visit Cobalt's page on CB,
    Your post exposes a bitter proof "How BAD BlackBerry marketing is" They miserably Failed to sell an amazing device with really smart OS.
    Slow Joe and daniel337 like this.
    06-02-15 10:34 AM
    A really good post OP. Breaking through the iSheep mold is very hard. They will live without (e.g. flash; access to file system) and deny limitations (battery life) until the grave. I guess coming from VZW, I am just against it because I know I'm subsidizing each iPhone bought. How else can VZW customers sport a $800 phone? The Z30 just needs too much tinkering for most tech-illiterate consumers. That's why it didn't sell. I do think that BBRY could get a lot of android users to switch if they got them to use the OS. I came from a Droid Bionic as well.

Anyway, VZW Backup Assistant does work. I got lucky and actually was able to talk to a BBRY person at VZW support. Files sync fine. However, contacts only sync if you made them on the phone. All of my contacts were imported from gmail so none of them synced. I did notice that some were there but they were new or I had made a change to them on the phone. So that is the key.

Edit: To clarify, Backup Assistant has beome Verizon Cloud on my Z30. It was BA on my Bionic.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 06-03-15 at 08:19 AM.
    Slow Joe likes this.
    06-02-15 11:14 AM
    This might be the best, most honest review I've read about the Z30 since it came out nearly two years ago.

Posted via CB10
    daniel337, Sulaco757 and Slow Joe like this.
    06-03-15 02:15 AM
    10.3.1 is old news. 10.3.2 is where it's at and you'll want to upgrade.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    SK122387 and Slow Joe like this.
    06-03-15 02:29 AM
    Been on 10.3.2.798 for a full day now without any issues. The Z30 just gets better and better.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 05:56 PM
    I did the sachesi thing!

First off, I say it "say cheesy". Just try and stop me.

Secondly, I'm really digging 10.3.1xxx! Though I only did it this afternoon so crossing my fingers it won't affect battery life.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and BionicKris like this.
    06-06-15 06:27 PM
    The only app that doesn't work for me is Instagram. I really don't care about it, except my girlfriend is always asking me if I saw a picture she took.

When I get a little more time and perhaps feel more confident, I may try the upgrade to 10.3 myself. But I really REALLY don't want to do anything that may mess with my battery life.
    If it's worth anything to you Instagram works on 10.3.1. Get it from APKMirror first.

BlackBerry... Now and Forever.
    Slow Joe likes this.
    06-06-15 06:29 PM
    Thanks for the honest review. Refreshing really.

I switched from Apple as well. 6 years an iSlave. Bought my wife a Z30 when she couldn't take the iPhone5 battery life anymore. It was a transition, but she really likes the Z30 now. We updated to 10.3.2 tonight. Hear the battery life is even better on it, look forward to seeing it myself. So far it lasts her a full day easy.

Most of my family is updating to iPhone 6. They agree battery life isn't great unless you get the 6+. And I agree, too big.

Newcomers to BlackBerry World and native apps always need some help and guidance finding their respective Apps, but I can say most popular functionality is there. Its all about the native clients enhancing the stock experience. iGrann/insta10, twittly/blaq, camera++. They are all worth the money. It is frustrating that companies making their own apps dont consider BlackBerry10 a viable platform, but I would venture 90% of those provide a decent mobile web experience that BlackBerry's stock browser does well with. The App market is a sacrifice, plain and simple. But for some of us Apps aren't everything.

I would consider my wife a typical "consumer" focused customer. Facebook, Pinterest and news are most important. But even she loves the Hub and how quickly it updates her on relevant information/communication. Neither of us like getting sucked into our devices for endless mental masturbation. We value the productivity of BlackBerry, even if it may be seen as "Spartan" by today's tech standards.

 Q10 on 10.3.1.2582 
    Slow Joe and sibeans like this.
    06-06-15 10:54 PM
    ^^ this for "mental masturbation"

Posted via CB10
    Slow Joe and sibeans like this.
    06-07-15 04:17 AM
    Okay, 10.3 is a HUGE improvement. So many of the things I griped about in the original review have been addressed by this update. Even a few things I forgot to gripe about are improved. And while I don't want to pass judgment too soon, it seems my battery life is greatly improved.

In about a week, I'll update the original post with my experiences on this newer OS. I think it's relevant to those considering making the switch.
    06-07-15 08:34 PM
    Get back to us when you get 10.3.2 in there. But please experience 10.3.1 for awhile.
    06-08-15 06:44 PM
    Thanks for the honest review. Refreshing really.
    I switched from Apple as well. 6 years an iSlave. 
    and now its another day and congrats to you for seeing the light.
    06-08-15 06:47 PM
    Joe, good post and thanks for sharing! I actually had a coworker ask me today what kind of phone I had, after I told him and he checked it out, he went online to get one as well. I could not believe I had an iPhone user switch over to a Blackberry. He had two iPhones and said that he was tired of the horrible battery life. I just wish BlackBerry would more aggressively market their products to compete.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    06-08-15 07:34 PM
    It's the software that makes the camera so bad on the Z30. It has the same MPS as an iPhone but the iPhone has better software. Lots of people on here use Camera++ and say that it makes pictures brilliant with BlackBerry 10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    software ? Nope.
    The BB Z30 sensor is terrible so is it's lens. And btw, you dont compare cameras by using the number of MP.
    06-09-15 04:04 PM
    Good thread except for some minor attitude here and there. Ahem. What's with the need to swing & bash, some people have? It's uncivilised. I ignore it.

Anyway.

I use both, daily. An iPhone 4S, and my Z30.

�4S is 16 gig running 6.1.3 (hate everything after Forstall was booted)..
    �Z30 is STA100-5/10.3.2.680

Love them both differently ---
    One is more refined but has diminished utility. The other the reverse.

4S: iMessage. Twitter. Camera. Reminders. Notes!

Z30: Email email email. Reading/browsing/feeds, etc. Anything video, anything highly visual such as games, photographs, art, etc.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:25 PM
    Does anyone here have a z30 and an iPhone 6? Would you say they are both close to the same in size or would the 6 Plus Be closer to in size to the z30? I've forgotten already. I have the iPhone 6 plus and contemplating downsizing to the 6. The z30 was good enough size for me.
    06-23-15 05:59 PM
    If you are not running 10.3.2 you are missing a lot... install a leak via sachesi...takes an hour and well worth it.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 07:54 PM
    Does anyone here have a z30 and an iPhone 6? Would you say they are both close to the same in size or would the 6 Plus Be closer to in size to the z30? I've forgotten already. I have the iPhone 6 plus and contemplating downsizing to the 6. The z30 was good enough size for me.
    BlackBerry Z30 vs Apple iPhone 6 vs Apple iPhone 6 Plus - Phone specs comparison
    06-23-15 08:31 PM
47 12