So, I just switched back to my Z30 from my Passport and I'm having issues with the camera. If I'm taking a photo of a facebook, the auto focus will "lock" and the photo will come out blurry. If I try to force the focus on a particular part of the face, same thing, it will "lock" and come out blurry. But here's the weird part. If I force the focus just off the face, say on the shoulder, the focus will "lock" and the photos will be sharp and clear.

The problem with having to use this "fix" is that I have a 2 week old daughter and can't wait for the off the face forced focus to kick in.

Now, if this "fix" didn't work and the photo was still blurry, I'd definitely say it was a hardware issue as I hear a little rattle when I tap the corner of the phone where the camera is, but this "fix" does work so I don't know what the issue is.

Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone else heard of this issue?

I really prefer the form factor of the Z30 which is why I switched back.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 09:21 PM
    AND to add to the weirdness of the issue, if I use the time shift feature, the focus is fine and the photos are sharp.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 09:26 PM
    First, congratulations on your daughter.

Have you tried to reboot? (see below)

Have you checked the various camera settings/options?

Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black (ignore the screenshot), keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have a Z10: If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    11-25-15 09:47 PM
    So, I just switched back to my Z30 from my Passport and I'm having issues with the camera. If I'm taking a photo of a facebook, the auto focus will "lock" and the photo will come out blurry. If I try to force the focus on a particular part of the face, same thing, it will "lock" and come out blurry. But here's the weird part. If I force the focus just off the face, say on the shoulder, the focus will "lock" and the photos will be sharp and clear.

The problem with having to use this "fix" is that I have a 2 week old daughter and can't wait for the off the face forced focus to kick in.

Now, if this "fix" didn't work and the photo was still blurry, I'd definitely say it was a hardware issue as I hear a little rattle when I tap the corner of the phone where the camera is, but this "fix" does work so I don't know what the issue is.

Posted via CB10
    Use Camera++. It will improve Z30 camera focusing.

Posted with my Super Happy Fun-time Q5!
    11-25-15 10:44 PM
    I had the same problem with the z10. After a lot of reflashing wiping, etc. Ended up replacing the rear camera. All is fine now

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-26-15 07:06 AM
    I've tried restarting the phone, still there.

Will look into camera++ although this seems like another work around as I'd have to remember to open up that app instead of the camera app.

Hoping to avoid having to replace the camera but if that is the only legit solution then so be it.

So far, I've tried to turn off facebook detection as mentioned in a similar thread about the Passport, this didn't help. The only thing I've noticed that helps is to always use the flash. This is yet another work around and delays the photo as the flash prepares itself and the focus adjusts to the flash, so it's not ideal. I may just have to get the camera replaced if I can find one cheap enough.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 03:28 AM
    Have you had any luck with the camera focus OP? I too, have been noticing that my camera focus is it of wack since the day of my son's 1st birthday and its angered me ever since that all other memories were blurry...
    12-19-15 07:04 PM
    The only solutions I found were both work arounds. One was to use the flash for all pics, for some reason the flash helps the focus. The other fix was to manually set the focus point just off of my daughters face, like her shoulder.

I have since decided to switch between my Passport and my Z30. Z30 for work and Passport for weekends and evenings if I feel like switching lol

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 08:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    That rattle is from volume keys...

Z30 STA100-5 OS 10.3.2.2813
    12-20-15 04:10 PM