Here are two photos I just took at my office in a dark room. One with flash off, but holding a flashlight. The other still holding the flashlight, but with z30 flash on. Is it just my phone, or a common problem?

Z30 photos using flash look bad at night-img_20150707_100942.jpg

Z30 photos using flash look bad at night-img_20150707_100918.jpg

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    07-07-15 10:12 AM
    The second one is overexposed so naturally it looks bad. too much light. People seem to get really nice pictures on their Z30s including me. Can't say they are all perfect but not so bad as the ones you posted.
    07-07-15 10:15 AM
    In natural light, I find the Z30 camera works great. I tend to keep it off permanently. In fact, in low light situations I find it works better than my point and shoot. It's just when I need to use the flash that it sucks. Like taking pics with friends out at night. So that tends to be unfortunate.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    07-07-15 10:22 AM
    It's not the Z30's fault for that. Flash with any camera at night, especially with the flash coming from the camera as opposed to off to the side, will wash out pictures. Photography 101.

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    FF22 and joewoo like this.
    07-07-15 12:51 PM
    It's not the Z30's fault for that. Flash with any camera at night, especially with the flash coming from the camera as opposed to off to the side, will wash out pictures. Photography 101.

Yup, I proved this once again with my Canon. Taking pictures of food plates (while in Europe) and my best results were withOUT flash. Flash tended to wash things out and create an artificial look or harsh look.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-07-15 03:31 PM
    Some things for your consideration.

The first is that since you have a flashlight, shine it off the ceiling. This would somewhat duplicate the effect of a bounce flash effect and thus create lighting that is more natural.

Next is that objects very close to the flash and lens can reflect the flash light and bounce it back into the lens or at least across the clear plastic in front of the lens. Even though that is way out of the focal plane, it can render as over exposure.

I have seen some cases cause this effect. In one case, I solved it on a different brand of mobile by using a black marker around the edge of the leather to minimize the reflection.

Besides your case, your fingers can also reflect the flash with negative effects. And clearly a completely clean lens cover is mandatory.

Finally, my personal solution to the flash on my Z30 is that I took a piece of very thin tissue and taped it over the flash itself. This causes the light to be dispersed some. While certainly not a real bounce, it does help soften the flash albeit at the cost of effective flash range.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-07-15 08:50 PM

I sort of get that. I'm not expecting greatness, I just find it looks so bad that I will never take a photo using my Z30 anywhere with dim light and the flash on. It's disappointing, since I'm so impressed with the daytime results.

Of course, I've had many cameras over the years, and taken tons of photos at night with flash on. Photos do not tend to look good, but it gets the job done. I'll try to take another photo with my P&S camera tomorrow and see how it compares to the two photos I already includes.

My point of bringing this up was less to complain about the Z30's camera, and more to see from my photos if someone felt there was a legitimate issue with my phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-08-15 10:11 PM
    Z30 photos using flash look bad at night-p7095915-large-.jpg

So this is the one with my point and shoot. Maybe it's just because the flash is stronger. I just find the Z30 photo in the dark (with flash) is yellowish or foggy. So wasn't sure if this is typical, or just my camera...

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    07-09-15 11:49 AM
    That's odd. Have u try wiping your lens and the flash with a cloth?

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-09-15 12:13 PM
    Ya, definitely tried wiping it down. It's just weird that no flash it's great. But with flash it's terrible (when it's dark). Oh well.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    07-11-15 09:50 AM
    Flash in the dark will wash away all of the normal shadowing effects you will see without flash. If you take a picture in a dim room with any camera, and then play with the positioning of a light source, you'll see that it affects the quality of the picture.

07-12-15 08:36 AM
    How's this? A little better?

Z30 photos using flash look bad at night-crackberry-image_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 01:03 PM
    How's this? A little better?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image_edit.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	362191

Posted via CB10
    Ya, it does come across a little better.

Flash in the dark will wash away all of the normal shadowing effects you will see without flash. If you take a picture in a dim room with any camera, and then play with the positioning of a light source, you'll see that it affects the quality of the picture.

Yes, I understand. But it's not the lack of shadows that I'm referring to. I totally get that the flash will drown all that out. It's the colour. Earlier in the thread, I posted a photo taken with my Z30 with the flash on, and one from my P&S with flash on. The Z30 is much yellower. I'm surprised by this, because in natural light, with no flash, I find the Z30 and my P&S perform equally.

The main reason I bring this up is to see if other users are having the same issue. I figured there's got to be at least one other person who's taken a night time photo with the flash on, and didn't like the results. Lol

You know what I'll do? I'll look into my old photos over the past year and a half. And see if this happened before.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    07-14-15 07:49 AM
    In my opinion, the photos with flash are yellowish because the software on the phone isn't adjusting the white balance properly. I adjusted the white balance on your photo and sharpened a little, that's it.

I've sometimes seen similar results from cameras as well.

Ya, it does come across a little better.

Yes, I understand. But it's not the lack of shadows that I'm referring to. I totally get that the flash will drown all that out. It's the colour. Earlier in the thread, I posted a photo taken with my Z30 with the flash on, and one from my P&S with flash on. The Z30 is much yellower. I'm surprised by this, because in natural light, with no flash, I find the Z30 and my P&S perform equally.

The main reason I bring this up is to see if other users are having the same issue. I figured there's got to be at least one other person who's taken a night time photo with the flash on, and didn't like the results. Lol

You know what I'll do? I'll look into my old photos over the past year and a half. And see if this happened before.

Posted via CB10 on Z30

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 11:16 AM