My wife's Z30 sounds like crap to me. No matter how clearly she tries to speak, or hold the phone to be sure she's not covering up the mic, I often struggle to understand what she's saying. A couple other people have mentioned this to her, too.

She's dropped the phone about a million times though since the first drop that broke the screen, it's been in a TPU case that has seemed to prevent any further damage.

On a whim I replaced the microphone yesterday with one off a broken screen from my phone. Seemed to make no difference at all, which was surprising.

Ideas?

Richard
    07-12-16 10:04 AM
    Could try a software reload to eliminate the software end of things.... security wipe, autoloader or factory restore.
    07-12-16 11:11 AM
    Is she using the Z30 in Speaker Phone mode, but holding it like a phone in normal mouth to ear position?

Reason I ask is as my hearing progressively gets worst, I tend to use the phone in speaker phone mode a lot, but I hold it down away from my head.
    But, if the caller is quiet or the local noise level is high, I'll bring it up to ear and mouth and forget to turn off speaker phone.
    When I do that the caller starts having a hard time understanding me and now I'm over driving the mic.
    07-12-16 01:59 PM
    Nope; she's using it regular style - we even did a test call from opposite ends of the house after I replaced the microphone. As we were talking I walked up to her to see how she was using/holding the phone. The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the screen itself as I don't have a working spare handy just to try on a whim. The screen assembly has that small cloth-type barrier over the microphone that I presume could possibly be clogged up with hair spray, makeup, or just general crud...who knows. It may just be time to break out the spare new phone from the file cabinet.

Not really up for going through the hassle of a reload as an attempt to make a microphone work correctly; it sounds like it has a limited chance of being the fix vs. the effort needed.

Richard
    07-13-16 10:21 AM
    Search this forum. When I was using my z30 I had the same issue and found others did as well. It's the glue where the mic is. It tends to melt over the mic piece.

Just search this forum and you'll find many people had this issue. I fixed my old z30 without the need to buy and parts for it. You'll just need a special screwdriver to take off the screen.

Communication's sent over BBM are NOT secured!
    07-14-16 06:51 AM
    Random one, try clean out the two mic holes under the volume buttons, I find they get clogged up.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 09:11 AM
    07-15-16 10:18 AM
    Stupid question but what hand is she holding it with.

I'm left handed. When I hold it with my left people complain about poor sound.

If found it has to do with the two noise cancelling mics on the right side of the phone.

When you hold it with your right hand the mics face in and zero in on your voice.

When you hold it on the left they pick up the ambient noise and cancel out your voice.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 09:17 AM
    I found the problem; while digging at the cloth screen over the mic to see if the glue was an issue - I probed around the top side of the screen with an X-acto and brought out a few chunks of what I assume was make-up. Tried it out and her voice was much clearer.

EDIT...dunno; I thought I had killed the phone somehow while working on it. Apparently the buzzy receiver speaker was one of the leads had somehow popped up higher than it should be? Doesn't make much sense. And the lack of ring tone despite everything otherwise apparently working? Needed a reboot. Go figure...I guess it just must not be my day for fixin' stuff!

Richard
    Last edited by RichardHBB; 07-16-16 at 11:47 AM.
    07-16-16 11:15 AM
    They used some cheap glue. Glad it's fixed.

Communication's sent over BBM are NOT secured!
    07-21-16 09:05 AM