Just got my z30 today, still learning gestures. Came from using android and trying to break habits

I've search and had no luck finding the answer. Is there a way to lock the screen with out hitting the power button? On android, there's an app and you can create a widget that you'll tap to turn off screen. There's a gesture to turn on/wake the screen but is there one that does the opposite
    05-26-15 10:08 PM
    Not that I know of.

Though, if you go to the settings and tap on the Advanced Interactions tab,
    Z30 locking screen w/o power button-img_20150527_111038.png

you'll find that there is an option to turn off the display by putting the phone face down on a flat surface, though it wakes back up when you pick it up. But that's the only thing I can think of.

Posted via  Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.1.2558
    05-26-15 10:12 PM
    Quick settings > bedside mode > swipe up.

Always happy to help!
    05-26-15 11:10 PM
    The screenshot above is irrelevant. The settings you need are on the screen settings page. You need to set the option to activate your device by swiping up. This enables the lock screen. If you then press the power button you get the lock screen. But I don't know for what. Normally you swipe up to wake up the device. But when you swipe up you don't see the lock screen anymore, it's disappering immediately.

I would prefer to wake up my device without this full screen swipe up[1], perhaps just by tapping two times somewhere on the screen, and then it shouldn't display something else than the current home screen. [1] Note: the full screen swipe up is not doable with one hand. This is not a good gesture at all.
    05-27-15 12:20 AM
    The screenshot above is irrelevant. The settings you need are on the screen settings page. You need to set the option to activate your device by swiping up. This enables the lock screen. If you then press the power button you get the lock screen. But I don't know for what. Normally you swipe up to wake up the device. But when you swipe up you don't see the lock screen anymore, it's disappering immediately.

I would prefer to wake up my device without this full screen swipe up[1], perhaps just by tapping two times somewhere on the screen, and then it shouldn't display something else than the current home screen. [1] Note: the full screen swipe up is not doable with one hand. This is not a good gesture at all.
    I just tested. It is not about full screen swipe. It is about speed. If you drag your thumb slow, than you have to do a full screen swipe. If you swipe fast than it is only a half screen swipe.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 12:28 AM
    Doesn't the initial setup teach you about the basic gesture?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 02:58 AM
    Previous BBOSes up to 7 had a lock screen icon indeed, but I actually have not seen it on BlackBerry 10 since ...

Z30 / 10.3.1.2558
    05-27-15 03:10 AM
    Whoops, didn't read the thread correctly. It was 3 in the morning. Apologies.

BB10 doesn't have something where you can lock your phone w/o power button yet.
    05-27-15 11:14 AM
    This is not doable unfortunately. Maybe one day but apparently no one at BlackBerry is annoyed about having to reach up to turn off the screen
    05-27-15 12:45 PM
    It would be nice to add the lock display / lockout device feature to the quick menu because my lock button is not working anymore, actually the next phone should cost less by eliminating this button all together.
    Just a thought.

Posted via the amazing Z30
    05-30-15 06:11 PM
    This is not doable unfortunately. Maybe one day but apparently no one at BlackBerry is annoyed about having to reach up to turn off the screen
    It's not about reaching up to unlock it's about saving the button itself
    10-06-16 05:05 PM
    Hmm, it's now been a while since I used my Z30, but I'm sure there was a way of setting it so it locked itself after a given period of inactivity. It also locked itself when I put it in my pouch (which I'm now using with my DTEK50 and is a feature I miss)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for um, Android
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-09-16 08:51 PM
    Hmm, it's now been a while since I used my Z30, but I'm sure there was a way of setting it so it locked itself after a given period of inactivity. It also locked itself when I put it in my pouch (which I'm now using with my DTEK50 and is a feature I miss)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for um, Android
    Yes, it can lock with inactivity. But I'm pretty sure there was no quick lock. Which was something I was always annoyed about. I've given up thinking about it. I have mine on the quickest setting 1min. Still wish there was an auto "lock when screen is off." But doesn't seem to work.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-13-16 10:05 AM
    Yes, it can lock with inactivity. But I'm pretty sure there was no quick lock. Which was something I was always annoyed about. I've given up thinking about it. I have mine on the quickest setting 1min. Still wish there was an auto "lock when screen is off." But doesn't seem to work.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    It can be set to timeout as low as 10 seconds

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-13-16 07:38 PM
    It can be set to timeout as low as 10 seconds

Posted via CB10
    To lock the device?

In Settings/Security and Privacy/Device Password/
    I only 3 options. 1, 2, 5 mins.

Where can you do 10 seconds?

If this is for screen timeout, there is a 10s option. Will this also lock the screen?

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    10-13-16 10:29 PM
    To lock the device?

In Settings/Security and Privacy/Device Password/
    I only 3 options. 1, 2, 5 mins.

Where can you do 10 seconds?

If this is for screen timeout, there is a 10s option. Will this also lock the screen?

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Mine goes to the lock screen after the 10 seconds screen timeout but I don't use a password,so I could see it not being the same, sorry.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-16 10:36 AM
    Boy, reaching aaaaall the way to the top of the device is sure hard.......
    But failing that, you can set your screen timeout to *** little as 10 seconds as noted above,
    then you don't have to mess with that pesky button at the top!
    10-14-16 03:39 PM