Hi,

I was just wondering if what would people do when the battery itself loses juice and at some point are unable to charge the battery?
    Would they get just get another phone or have a service shop replace the battery?

Because I do not know why most people are not even concerned on not having a swappable or removable battery.

So I would like to know what other people here thinks or does in case the power dies on the battery itself at the point were you cannot even charge the phone.

By not having a removable battery, how long does the battery itself last for on average?
    Is it something like 500 charge cycles?
    I should be Ok with the battery for about 3 years or so or less?

09-23-14 12:10 AM
    Honestly, I swap phones on a yearly basis, or even earlier if I fall in love with a new device. But you shouldn't even notice a slight loss of battery health for like 2 years.

Since our usage is different, I'll just tell you it lasts 75% more than my late Z10 did (I'm assuming you have one).

pin:2B7CAF06
    09-23-14 12:13 AM
    As far as I am concerned on the way I use my phone, I rarely go on WiFi only when I need to, NFC is OFF, GPS is turned OFF, Location services is OFF, I do not even watch videos on my phone, and so on when it comes to "extra CPU power"

So you think I should be good within 2 years or even more when it comes to battery health?

Since its hard to find a local BB Authorized service shop and will not send my phone to BB, will ANY mobile phone service shop replace the battery for me in case my battery juice runs out?

Sorry for all these silly questions, but I just REALLY love this phone and I am a bit paranoid on what to do in case I have no battery power left and just was wondering if any local phone repair service shop can replace the battery for me?
    09-23-14 12:28 AM
    As far as I am concerned on the way I use my phone, I rarely go on WiFi only when I need to, NFC is OFF, GPS is turned OFF, Location services is OFF, I do not even watch videos on my phone, and so on when it comes to "extra CPU power"

So you think I should be good within 2 years or even more when it comes to battery health?

Since its hard to find a local BB Authorized service shop and will not send my phone to BB, will ANY mobile phone service shop replace the battery for me in case my battery juice runs out?

Sorry for all these silly questions, but I just REALLY love this phone and I am a bit paranoid on what to do in case I have no battery power left and just was wondering if any local phone repair service shop can replace the battery for me?
    Must say that 1) haven't had that problem yet (almost a year), because I think BBRY learned from Playbook to shut unit down with some juice left to avoid battery-drain problem, and 2) the battery IS replaceable ... you just have to do a little more disassembly before getting that far.
    Though you likely never will 'have to.'
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-23-14 12:40 AM
    You can always buy a replacement battery and install it yourself (or have someone install it for you) but most people will not keep a phone long enough to see it deteriorate that badly.
    09-23-14 01:03 AM
    Ya by that time this model would have become obsolete, we will probably move onto the next in the market

Z30 White
    09-23-14 04:21 AM
    I have had BlackBerry phones for a long time. All previous had easily removal batteries. I keep my phones for several years.

I have never had to replace a battery so I'm not worried about my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 04:21 AM
    I have had BlackBerry phones for a long time. All previous had easily removal batteries. I keep my phones for several years.

I have never had to replace a battery so I'm not worried about my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.... non-issue, imo...

Posted via CB10
    Chris Chin likes this.
    09-23-14 06:05 AM
    I have had my Z30 for three months and I'm not holding a charge. Battery is being drained quickly and I'm totally disappointed. It was all fine and now it is just failing me.

Blackberry Z30
    09-23-14 07:10 AM
    I want the screwdriver to remove the battery. If I get water in the phone, I'd like to dry it out behind the battery.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 07:11 AM
    I have had my Z30 for three months and I'm not holding a charge. Battery is being drained quickly and I'm totally disappointed. It was all fine and now it is just failing me.

Blackberry Z30
    Try going into the device manager and see what's eating your juice

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-23-14 07:17 AM
    Not only BBs....But ALL new modern smartphones these days for some odd compelling reasons do not have removable batteries. Its just aggravating!!!!

But I still do LOVE this phone

So will most local phone service shops can replace the batteries for the Z30?

I really don't care if they charge me extra money for the replacement....As long as someone can do it, its OK by me.
    09-23-14 10:16 AM
    I believe that any qualified (read competent) electronics technician would be able to do this. I don't know what it would do to the warranty or if there are any seals to be broken in order to get to the battery.
    09-23-14 11:23 AM
    You realize changing the battery isn't that hard... you need like two tools and a few minutes.
    The real issue is where to buy the replacement battery.
    BlackBerry oem parts seem hard to find, especially in Canada. I'm stuck getting things from China most of the time

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 12:10 PM
    You realize changing the battery isn't that hard... you need like two tools ....
    pls let us know more about the tools. Where can I get them, what are they called, etc ? Or, where can I find out more about them? I have a water damaged Z30 so I'd like to know how to remove its battery.
    Tks!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 03:24 PM
    http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=271523058991

If you need a battery just buy this, just need to fit board screen and front camera.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 03:53 PM
    If there are battery issues while I have it on contract, I'll call Vodafone. I don't expect to have any issues over the next 18 months. Not fussed.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 04:10 PM
    Here shows a Z30 being disassembled, including removing the battery.
    Tools:
    T4 Torx screw driver (not T4 "Philips" as descibed in the vid)
    Electronics grade tweezers
    Pry tool, which is basically a sturdy guitar pick.
    Nharzhool and Davidro1 like this.
    09-23-14 04:48 PM
    Thanks for the video, But this is too risky.
    Is there just any local mobile service shop that can possibly do this?
    I'm not worried about the battery drain now as it works fine, but I just want to think ahead on how will I go about when the battery health starts to go down.

And.....I will NOT let a shop to send the phone to a place that they can change out the battery.
    That's a matter of trust, because they can say that they changed the battery, but who knows??? Really? I mean how would I know?
    So that option is out the door....

Oh well, I am being too worried here, I know....But I just love this phone.

09-24-14 12:23 AM
    OP, I suggest you go for the Z10 or a Q10 if you still want the swappable battery, since BlackBerry seems to be moving away from swappable batteries.

And to all those saying that you don't have any issue with the Z30 battery, the phone is not even one year old since it had been released, of course you don't have any battery issues now. But the battery wear is real, and the batteries are usually the first to go in a phone.

If I am paying flagship price for a flagship phone, I want to be able to keep the phone operational once the original battery dies.

Also, since BlackBerry itself does not sell the battery of the Z30, you have to rely on the unofficial ebay and amazon dealers to get the Z30 battery. And whenever you are buying a part from an unauthorized dealer, you are just asking for trouble. You want to always stick with the OEM parts sold from BlackBerry authorized dealers.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    lift likes this.
    09-24-14 01:02 AM
    Is there just any local mobile service shop that can possibly do this?
    You will need to check yourself or post the approximate area where you live so others who know your area can chime in on what shops are able to do the job.
    09-24-14 05:30 AM
    Guys, thanks for all your support and help on this, but as you can all see, I am making this very hard on myself on this matter.
    So what the heck!!! I will just enjoy this awesome phone until the battery wears out and until then, hopefully BlackBerry will come out with another release similar to the Z30. I just need to chill out, and start enjoying this beauty
    But its NOT just BBs....All new phones whether IPhone or Android, are to be trending on non-swappable batteries. So, I came to my senses, and said the heck with it....
    Carl Estes and Chris Chin like this.
    09-24-14 09:59 AM
    Since the battery can last a day and a half with moderate usage, I think one would be more than good to get a full day out of their Z30 even with normal loss of battery capacity. People really make a mountain out of a mole hill on this issue. If you really need to carry extra batteries, you can certainly carry around a juice pack to top off. I'm curious what other flagship phones even have removable batteries anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:49 PM
    Yeah, I do understand your position of the non replaceable batteries, BUT,
    Will this tack being taken, they (the designers) can get more useable life out of a charge as you reduce the number of "interconnects" from the battery. You will be able to get the bateries in time, and they are not hard to replace, just you tube it, 15 minutes to change.

c
    09-24-14 01:03 PM
    Forget it, half way watching that video posted here, I stopped. Its very risky esp. to non-techy person like me. And plus I do not have the right tools for it. Ill just accept it as it is since I do really like the Z30. Its a keeper anyways.
    I think the Samsung phones (which I still have) are the only ones that do have removable batteries, but that can change any moment in the close future. But I keep holding the Samsung S4, and boy, the design feels cheap, with no effort put into it....
    So that's it, removable or not removable battery.....I made my choice, its the Z30 after all. The design quality of the Z30 blows the S4 out of the water.

I just feel better having a BB now despite not having to remove the batteries. All because of this, I had mixed sorted feelings whether to still hang on to my S4 or not, but I think I can live without removing the battery and then hope for a repair shop to replace it once it runs out of juice.

Carl Estes likes this.
    09-24-14 01:21 PM
30 12