So, I'm sure this type of thread has been done many times over but I wanted to post my impressions after a few days of use. There may be others considering picking a Z30 up now that the second-hand prices are reasonable.

I carry two devices, a Moto X 2014 (Android 5.1) and a Samsung ATIV SE (WP 8.1). These are my current frames of reference. I've briefly used BB10 devices before - a Z10 and a Q10 - but for only a few days total. That was probably during the 10.1 days.

Physically, the device is fine. Not too heavy, though most reviews said it was. The screen looks good despite the low PPI. The rubbery back is nice and grippy. The cutout for the fingernail slot at the bottom is sharp and slices into my pinkie finger constantly. The bezels are a slightly too thick but they mainly fade away from my perception after a few seconds of use. The USB port is strangely positioned - I assume for use in a dock. That the silvery pieces of the frame are plastic is a disappointment. The phone feels good to hold.

BB 10.3 is good. Better than the last time I used a BlackBerry. The multitasking paradigm is convenient and it seems I can run more simultaneous apps than previously. The icons are slightly too small for me but I'm very glad the black boxes around them are gone. That's a welcome change. Also, the gesture actions continue to make sense. They are logical and feel future leaning. It's much easier to install Android apps these days since there's no bar conversion required. Is there a way to permanently hide the Android back bar? I haven't found it.

Speaking of apps, the first thing I did after installing 10.3 was to add the Google Play store. Without this the experience would be much poorer. About 80% of the apps I've installed have worked. Notable exceptions are MS Outlook and Life360 but I can live with that. Android apps, in general, run well. A little sluggishly but good enough. When you can find a Built for BlackBerry App it'll run better but may or may not be as functional. Overall the app situation is pretty good, if a little disjointed.

The Hub is a very nice feature. Well done BlackBerry. It is strange that there are so few customization colors. And marking multiple as read is cumbersome.

The keyboard was one of my favorite features when I used a Z10 but now it annoys me. It needs a swipe mode. Desperately. Also needs to switch between lower and upper case characters. The predictive typing feature is still AWESOME. And the text selection tool is great.

The BlackBerry Assistant is garbage. The voice is of very poor quality and I can't figure out how to use geolocation reminders. This is the best feature of Cortana and Google Now. Everything seems time based in BA.

Battery life isn't fantastic thus far. I'm hoping that's due to how much I'm using it as I'm configuring it and testing it. It's certainly not as good as I'd hoped. About the same as my other phones.

The camera is fine. Doesn't seem remarkable but I have not used it too much. I do wish the time shift feature was built in and not a separate mode.

All in all, you will likely be pleased with the Z30 no matter what device you are coming from as long as your expectations are not too high. The phone is a bit sluggish (especially in Android apps) but is fun to use. I'd give it a solid 7.5/10 rating. Well worth buying if you can find it under $200.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    03-20-15 12:47 PM
    Z30 is awesome
    Along with classic and passport from what I read and heard
    I left nexus 6 for z30

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-20-15 01:11 PM
    Long live the Z30

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    bluegreen1965 and BionicKris like this.
    03-20-15 01:15 PM
    The keyboard was one of my favorite features when I used a Z10 but now it annoys me. It needs a swipe mode. Desperately. Also needs to switch between lower and upper case characters.
    I'm confused. The keyboard on the Z10 and Z30 are identical except for size. Are you referring to OS differences (10.2 vs 10.3)?

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.3289
    03-20-15 01:51 PM
    Under US$200???? for a Z30??..i dont think so.

Posted via CB10
    rcsgolf likes this.
    03-20-15 01:56 PM
    To mark items as read in the hub, just click on the instant actions icon, then click on the message icon.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 02:35 PM
    I am also confused as I feel the keyboard is best in class. Swipe mode? Switch between lower and upper case characters? Hold each letter to capitalize on the fly or hold the shift key to keep all characters capitalized like a caps lock.
    03-20-15 02:41 PM
    What's the issue with Switching upper/lower case?

Press and hold on the letter and it will be UPPERcase. Capslock is press hold on the SHIFT character.
    Xenolock likes this.
    03-20-15 03:02 PM
    I'm confused. The keyboard on the Z10 and Z30 are identical except for size. Are you referring to OS differences (10.2 vs 10.3)?

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.3289
    No, I'd forgotten that the keyboard doesn't switch between lower and upper characters. And at this late hour it seems silly.
    03-20-15 03:45 PM
    What's the issue with Switching upper/lower case?

Press and hold on the letter and it will be UPPERcase. Capslock is press hold on the SHIFT character.
    I mean the display of the keyboard. It always shows upper case.
    03-20-15 03:46 PM
    I am also confused as I feel the keyboard is best in class. Swipe mode? Switch between lower and upper case characters? Hold each letter to capitalize on the fly or hold the shift key to keep all characters capitalized like a caps lock.
    Have you ever used a swipe/flow/drag keyboard? It's a level above key tapping for speed and fluidity.
    03-20-15 03:47 PM
    Under US$200???? for a Z30??..i dont think so.

Posted via CB10
    For a used Z30, absolutely. That's what I bought.
    03-20-15 03:48 PM
    To mark items as read in the hub, just click on the instant actions icon, then click on the message icon.

Posted via CB10
    Can you explain? What I'm doing is pressing the three dot menu icon in the bottom right, then selecting a bunch of messages, then mark read. What's the faster way to do this? Thanks.
    nyfinch likes this.
    03-20-15 03:51 PM
    Can you explain? What I'm doing is pressing the three dot menu icon in the bottom right, then selecting a bunch of messages, then mark read. What's the faster way to do this? Thanks.
    Click on the logo in the top-right of the Hub that looks like three lines with a checkmark. That is called "instant actions"

From here, you can choose to delete or reply/file/flag any message (customizable in settings) in the right column, or if you click on the icon for the message (envelope, bell, etc.) in the far left column, you can toggle them read/unread.

Posted via CB10
    robnhl and Marauder2 like this.
    03-20-15 04:00 PM
    Another useful tip to mark things as read, is to press and hold on any of the horizontal date bars. All messages prior to that date will be selected and you can mark all as read.

Posted via CB10
    Marauder2 and robnhl like this.
    03-20-15 04:03 PM
    If you hold on the date bar between messages, you can delete or mark prior to as read.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    robnhl and Polotis like this.
    03-20-15 04:04 PM
    Another useful tip to mark things as read, is to press and hold on any of the horizontal date bars. All messages prior to that date will be selected and you can mark all as read.

Posted via CB10
    You beat me to it by mere seconds...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    03-20-15 04:05 PM
    When you open a android app just swipe from the top down and you will have the option to hide the back banner. Then when you want to go back just swipe from the center bottom 45 degrees to left or right.

Visit my BBM Channel - C000E96F6
    bspence87 likes this.
    03-20-15 04:08 PM
    You beat me to it by mere seconds...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    That's lightyears in BlackBerry time! :P

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 04:12 PM
    Click on the logo in the top-right of the Hub that looks like three lines with a checkmark. That is called "instant actions"

From here, you can choose to delete or reply/file/flag any message (customizable in settings) in the right column, or if you click on the icon for the message (envelope, bell, etc.) in the far left column, you can toggle them read/unread.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. That works pretty well. I appreciate the tip.
    bspence87 likes this.
    03-20-15 04:20 PM
    When you open a android app just swipe from the top down and you will have the option to hide the back banner. Then when you want to go back just swipe from the center bottom 45 degrees to left or right.

Visit my BBM Channel - C000E96F6
    Right. I know about that action. I guess that means that there's no universal setting to disable it?
    03-20-15 04:21 PM
    I have not tried, but you may be able to install a SWIPE keyboard for use in Android apps. I know that I did install some alternative keyboard ages ago on my Z10. But it was limited to use with Android apps.
    03-20-15 05:44 PM
    The chin and bezel are not plastic. It's coated magnesium alloy.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2558 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-20-15 06:13 PM
    Just out of curiosity, which OS version are you using? My "my ver" as one word and hit the space bar.
    Do you know about the swipe down and swipe left on the keyboard?
    In the Hub, you can switch between open messages by swiping to the right and then up or down (without lifting your finger) to switch to a newer or older message, respectively.
    Two finger swipe down from the top with open the quick setting menu in any app.
    BlackBerry Assistant is much better than the voice control from 10.2.1 and earlier, but it still needs a lot of work. I don't think it can do location based reminders.
    Have you tried BlackBerry Blend?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 03:11 AM
    Just out of curiosity, which OS version are you using? My "my ver" as one word and hit the space bar.
    Do you know about the swipe down and swipe left on the keyboard?
    In the Hub, you can switch between open messages by swiping to the right and then up or down (without lifting your finger) to switch to a newer or older message, respectively.
    Two finger swipe down from the top with open the quick setting menu in any app.
    BlackBerry Assistant is much better than the voice control from 10.2.1 and earlier, but it still needs a lot of work. I don't think it can do location based reminders.
    Have you tried BlackBerry Blend?

Posted via CB10
    Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2267

I did see the two finger swipe from the top. I didn't know about swiping left to delete words. That's a nice trick. I'm settling in on the device. It's nice, but the niggles are still there. Looking forward to what 10.4 brings.

Haven't tried BlackBerry Blend yet.
    03-22-15 09:14 PM
46 12