Z30 arrived today from BB! Gotta say, I had a good experience with the ordering and shipping process, which is surprising considering all the horror stories I've read about the company that handles the Blackberry shop.

Anyway, this is definitely a nice piece of hardware. A little bit on the heavy side, but a very sturdy build quality and great materials. I thought changing from a 5" 1080p lcd screen to a 5" 720p amoled screen would be jarring, but it's not really that much worse at all. Haven't ventured out in the sun just yet with the dark backgrounds so we'll see how that works out with the amoled, but I'm not worried.

One super quick question if anyone happens to know; I synced my contacts from google and they transferred over without a problem, however I noticed that when I send/receive text messages, they seem to be split into two different rows in the HUB. For example, if I send a message to say 'John', it shows up in the HUB as the name, but when the person replies, it instead is just a phone number like '+1 (999) 999-9999'. I tried moving the contacts over to my SIM card but didn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts?

-Matt
    07-23-14 02:18 PM
    Glad to hear you are happy with your new tool.

The text/contact issue should resolve itself in time.
    07-23-14 02:34 PM
    Kool kool, I'll give it some time to settle in and what not. Charging it up right now. Edit: Showed up 4g LTE at first, but dropped back down to normal 4g and confirmed with a speed test. Guess it's hit or miss in Los Angeles for LTE on these bands .

-Matt
    Last edited by Quakefreak121; 07-23-14 at 04:12 PM.
    07-23-14 02:40 PM
    Its a great phone. What phone are you coming from?

Mines is Sweet
    07-23-14 02:48 PM
    Indeed it is. I'm coming from a Nexus 5. Think I'm going to give my gf the Nexus since she could use a better phone also hehe.

-Matt
    07-23-14 02:51 PM
    what a guy, good plan though.
    07-23-14 02:53 PM
    My only issue with the s the dark screen.

BB Proud
    07-23-14 02:58 PM
    One super quick question if anyone happens to know; I synced my contacts from google and they transferred over without a problem, however I noticed that when I send/receive text messages, they seem to be split into two different rows in the HUB. For example, if I send a message to say 'John', it shows up in the HUB as the name, but when the person replies, it instead is just a phone number like '+1 (999) 999-9999'. I tried moving the contacts over to my SIM card but didn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts?

-Matt
    I had this happen after an OS update but it fixed itself after about fifteen minutes. Give the Z30 a little bit of time.
    07-23-14 03:14 PM
    Contact problem seems to have fixed itself . Now the only choice I'm trying to make is if I should use the escreen to disable the LTE antenna or not. Have no problem bringing up the screen, but I'm worried I might mess something up inadvertently lol.

-Matt
    Last edited by Quakefreak121; 07-23-14 at 05:41 PM.
    cbosdell likes this.
    07-23-14 03:42 PM
    In case anyone here has done the engineering screen edit to disable the 4G LTE radio, do you have to do anything after you change the radio setting (and btw, which specific setting is it you use, GSM+WCDMA?) to save the changes, or do you just hit the back button and then swipe up to exit out? One last quick question, does this sustain through phone resets, or do you have to do it every time your phone turns off/on? Thank you!!!

-Matt
    07-23-14 08:44 PM
    so I noticed something interesting. Every time I power off/reset my phone, it turns on with ATT LTE displayed, however after some time it drops back to ATT 4G. So curious, I went into the escreen and disabled the LTE band, and when I restarted the phone it still displayed ATT LTE upon reboot. So I reverted it back to the previous setting with LTE enabled and again, it displays ATT LTE in the corner. I'm gonna give it some time and see if/when it drops back down to 4g. *shrug* kinda odd. Maybe phone restarts cause the change to be reverted?

-Matt
    07-23-14 11:46 PM
    You might find it is similar to your car dash lights, all on when you go to start, but then off ...in the case of oil for one example.

Z30 144GB
    07-23-14 11:51 PM
    So would that mean that no matter what settings are set, the phone/SIM will default to LTE and eventually drop down to 4G? Even if the 4G radio is said to be disabled? Or maybe it's actually a cosmetic/display error?

-Matt
    07-24-14 12:07 AM
    I don't think it's an error, just similar to car dash light scenario.... as above example... oil light comes in when starting, then goes off as there is no problem.... it may come on to search, not find LTE and go back to 4g or whatever it finds...

Z30 144GB
    07-24-14 02:03 AM
    144GB? How...

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 02:06 AM
    Hmm, that certainly could be. I guess the reason I'm confused is, I figured that making a change to the engineering screen would alter the way the phone operates (IE if you disable the LTE radio, that it wouldn't even attempt to use it upon a boot cycle). *shrug* Doesn't really matter, even with the phone staying with the LTE radio enabled, the battery life is still amazing.

-Matt
    07-24-14 02:34 AM
    144GB? How...

Posted via CB10
    128GB SD card

Z30 144GB
    07-24-14 04:31 AM
    The escreen settings aren't permanent. If you turn off or reboot the phone they resort to their default settings.

Posted via CB10. ~ Z30 STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-24-14 11:39 AM
    You might find it is similar to your car dash lights, all on when you go to start, but then off ...in the case of oil for one example.

Z30 144GB
    As long as there IS oil in the engine!!!!!!!

c
    07-24-14 01:59 PM
    So I've been looking at my Z30 and my Nexus 5 side by side, and tbh I have only found 2 small things that I think are drawbacks moving to the Z30. The first one I mentioned earlier, the slight increase in weight, although I guess that's more so a neutral thing. For some reason the Z30 doesn't look like it weighs as much as it does until you pick it up. The second thing is the overall color tone of the screen. Tried messing around with the whiteness slider, but no matter what the screen just appears either too warm, or too blue for me compared to the LCD on the Nexus 5. I'm sure in time I'll get use to it and not even notice it.

-Matt
    07-24-14 02:10 PM
    The Nexus 5 has a better screen. I still wouldn't buy one for a ton of reasons. The other benefits of the Z30 out weigh the Nexus 5. The Z30 has character and just works great. I love mine.
    07-24-14 02:29 PM
    So I've been looking at my Z30 and my Nexus 5 side by side, and tbh I have only found 2 small things that I think are drawbacks moving to the Z30. The first one I mentioned earlier, the slight increase in weight, although I guess that's more so a neutral thing. For some reason the Z30 doesn't look like it weighs as much as it does until you pick it up.

-Matt
    You have to build up your muscles to be able to carry around a piece of equipment as quality built as the Z30.... eat your Wheaties and give it a couple of weeks...
    07-24-14 05:27 PM
    Lol yea I guess so. Similar to the screen, I'm sure in time it will grow on me and I won't even notice it. I guess if I had to choose between a super light phone like the iPhone 5/5S or a heavier phone like the z30, I would opt for the heavier of the two.

-Matt
    07-24-14 05:46 PM