as a blackberry user pre os10, the physical keyboard was my life. On os10 it was my passport that was the beast of my life. Well, that was until a few months ago when the "emergency calls only" syndrome took root on my beloved "work wide" BlackBerry Passport. Sad to say it is now only a glorified mini tablet of sorts. Fully functional, except you can not be SMS in or out,same with the phone calls, nada...less than "zero"... Well, I had bought myself a new white z30 as a replacement for my "comatose" passport, true enough it has truly grown on me! I may occasionally miss my passport for the "work wide" screen during some surf time. But the z30 outshines the passport with it's micro HDMI! Plus the fact that some apps are readily available for the z30 that does not seem to be available on the passport "BlackBerry World". Viber for example is still available for the z30, and not for the Passport. It's an old version, but hot darn it works! Go figure, your guess is as good as anyone's guess. Well, I think I will go get myself another z30 as a backup twin for my current z30. These BlackBerry phones are really built to last. Well most of the time! LOL! Peace.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and barbarianthemadserb like this.
    01-21-17 05:49 PM
    The Z30 is a beautiful, well crafted phone with a build quality second to none.

I've had mine for almost three years and it's still in pristine condition, not a mark or scratch on it.

Sadly though I am shortly moving to android as the OS is now not supporting applications that I require.

Anyway, enjoy your Z30, it's a great device.

Edit; By the way, the battery life is still as good as the day I bought it, despite charging every night.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    kunz1925shooter likes this.
    01-21-17 06:10 PM
    I really liked my Z30 too. Only thing I could gripe about before the software started not doing all I needed to do was the low volume of the ear speaker. My hearing isn't great so that was and issue. Priv is much better for me in that regard. I'd very likely still be using my z30 if the things I needed to do were still working
    01-21-17 07:56 PM
    I will probably use os10 till the devices stop supporting email. I think as a work productively device minus the social media and other communications apps like whatsapp,viber,etc...it s still a great reliable device. If down the road I just use it for basic phone calls, SMS, email, and occasional Web browsing together with a good VPN service, I believe it will still last quite a while. I'll probably have to get an additional device for the social media, games, communication apps. I'm some what irritated with Google and the apps at Google play store, always wanting to know everything about you what you do, getting permission on things that has no bearing to what the apps do. I mean, why does a game need to access your contacts? What for? It's just too intrusive in my opinion. Well I guess we all know that. And I suppose that's why a lot of us still use BlackBerry os10. I hope there will come a time that a company that builds smartphones that will champion again the privacy of the consumers. The regular folks like us. Peace.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and barbarianthemadserb like this.
    01-21-17 08:36 PM
    The Z30 is a beautiful, well crafted phone with a build quality second to none.

I've had mine for almost three years and it's still in pristine condition, not a mark or scratch on it.

Sadly though I am shortly moving to android as the OS is now not supporting applications that I require.

Anyway, enjoy your Z30, it's a great device.

Edit; By the way, the battery life is still as good as the day I bought it, despite charging every night.

Works for me but the battery.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 08:57 PM
    I've had mine for over 2 years and it does everything I need. Rock solid and battery life is great. I really don't want to go to another OS but I guess I might be forced into it. I will keep this until it dies.

Posted using my Awesome BlackBerry Z30
    01-22-17 09:55 AM
    I'm some what irritated with Google and the apps at Google play store, always wanting to know everything about you what you do, getting permission on things that has no bearing to what the apps do. I mean, why does a game need to access your contacts? What for? It's just too intrusive in my opinion.
    Posted via CB10
    Agreed, however, as was pointed out to me recently, the latest version of Android (peanut butter Nutella ice cream popsicle can't they name the damn thing sequentially Craisin version), there is the option to go app by app and remove individual permissions, like access to contacts. Whether the program will function afterward is another story though, some have permissions marked as a must have.

I use a Z30 as my phone and I love it and Galaxy Tab E as my tablet (don't buy it, speaker is total crap on it) and after a year using Android on it every day, I still think Android is a clunky crappy OS that reminds me of Win95 (maybe even WinME because it's surprisingly buggy too).
    01-22-17 10:39 AM
    I have had my Z30 for over three year and my only complaint is my battery life only lasts about ten hours now but I have just purchased a new battery for $19.00 so once change it I expect several more years of service. I am a business owner where I work in dusty areas as well as around chemicals so I have an otter box cover which has done an excellent of keeping my Z30 safe

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 08:40 PM
    Yep,gotta get me one of those otterbox case, currently using the blackberry brand hard plastic cover/case...btw ,I was just wondering if anybody might know if what is the equivalent version of Android for our "Android runtime " in a z30 running os 10.3.2. ? Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 02:32 AM
    My beloved Z30 has been a workhorse for me since spring 2014. But Verizon cannot get it to work on its network anymore. Maybe because it's been on at&t back and forth. Anyway, my new Samsung Galaxy J3 6 V awaits as my new interim device in anticipation of Mercury. But my Z30 shall remain a home WiFi device for me to enjoy, especially with flicking up works in its world class VKB. The OP should enjoy his Z30 with the latest BB10 OK and flicking and run his device into the ground, so long as apps don't force him to move on from the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Avenzuno; 01-24-17 at 11:15 AM.
    01-23-17 02:33 AM
    Hi everyone! The one of the few things that I have been trying to run on my BB10 devices since I started to use os10...orbot and orfox...the mobile TOR and browser! It seems to work just fine. I have not tested the VPN button as I already am using a VPN service. I tested it on whoer dot net...it works!

I downloaded loaded directly from guardian project dot info backslash apps...

Finally another browser option for us BB10 users!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 05:05 AM
    Uh,the whoer dot net is just to test your anonymous Web surfing...

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 05:07 AM
    Orbot v15.1.1.2.apk and Orfox-1.2.1-TorBrowser-6.5-Fennec45.5.1apk

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 05:13 AM
    For my Orbot configuration I tried to use the "bridges" but it would fail. I'm not sure if the VPN is interfering with the "bridges"...so it works a-ok without the bridges in my z30...I am still in 10.3.2...cheers!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 05:17 AM
    So it's z30>VPN>TOR....anonymity in using a blackberry os10 device!!! Yeah!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 05:21 AM
    ...my apologies in advance if someone already posted this Orbot and Orfox before...I was just too excited...LoL...I tried the orbot that was in the amazon store...I could never get it to run,and eventually just gave up...I'm just sharing, and I hope it helps anybody looking for some Web surfing anonymity...Peace.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 05:23 AM
    I was just wondering if anybody might know if what is the equivalent version of Android for our "Android runtime " in a z30 running os 10.3.2. ? Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    I understand it to be Jellybean.

01-23-17 09:37 AM
    I understand it to be Jellybean.

More specifically, I believe its version 4.3. Sadly, getting very long in the tooth, Jelly Bean accounts for less than 12% of the Android worldwide market. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
    01-23-17 01:39 PM
    My Z30 sits in a Qi charging easel pumping emails and appts to Blend on my computer and two different laptops. I can also look up contacts. But my "phone" is now a Priv. But, I, too, resent games or file managers or video apps needing access to my contacts or phone or calendar! WHY!!!
    01-23-17 03:03 PM
    My BlackBerry Z30 is still rocking n rolling. It does all that I need it to do... I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge that I use for Facebook Live... other than that, it's the Z30 On day to day use... :-)

Classic for work, Z30 for everything else...
    01-23-17 03:21 PM
    Daily driver!

Posted using my Awesome BlackBerry Z30
    01-24-17 08:05 AM
    I'm a Z30 lover too. Wish I got the right version for my network's LTE, but maybe my next one will work.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 08:17 PM
    BlackBerry Z30 is the best.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 06:22 PM
    I'm thinking of buying a Z30, I'm also a recent victim of the "Emergency Call Only Virus"...My only concern was typing, I'm having a hell off a time on my previous Z10 device "Damn Gorilla Hands". How is the transition from Passport to Z30? Thanks
    03-08-17 12:29 AM
    I'm thinking of buying a Z30, I'm also a recent victim of the "Emergency Call Only Virus"...My only concern was typing, I'm having a hell off a time on my previous Z10 device "Damn Gorilla Hands". How is the transition from Passport to Z30? Thanks
    I had a somewhat difficult time at first, but it grows on you. Prior to total migration to z30, I tried a Lenovo A7000-a as a temporary phone. It was in my opinion awful. The BlackBerry virtual keyboard on the z30 was way better than that android Lenovo A7000-a. The plus side I believe is the predictive words that we regularly use to swipe up. Also the long press for capitalization of letters is good in the z30. My z30 really out shined my passport with the micro-hdmi port. Sadly the passport did not have that. It was the clincher for me. I hope that you will give the z30 a chance, it is a really good device. For me it was worth it. Honestly if that "emergency calls only" was fixed, I would in a heartbeat get myself a couple of BlackBerry Passports,but at this point I do no see the value in the risk of spending that good hard earned money on a hit or miss problem that could affect any passport. I really do miss it as my daily driver. I just use it as a tablet of sorts via a Hotspot thru my z30, it still works via wifi. Peace.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 12:44 AM
29 12