While I have to say that I don't have much confidence in Blackberry's ability to keep the company alive for much longer, I got a great deal on a Z30 and bought one.

After having played for it for a day, here are my initial thoughts:

Positive:

- keyboard
    - battery life
    - weight
    - overall feature-completeness
    - the maps app
    - most Android apps I sideloaded work nicely (Spotify, Instagram)
    - great reception

Negative:

- very low customizability
    - screen (resolution is nice, but it shows some striping on dark and grey backgrounds. Overall looks like it's a very cheap panel)
    - the camera is only soso
    - the app situation. Not only talking about the overall number of apps, but also about the quality (can't sign in to Skype, for example, because the keyboard doesn't work right during the two-factor authentication process)
    - build quality (feels solid, but mine has major gaps around the USB Port etc)

Neutral / undecided

- hub (got to get used to that first)

Overall it's a decent phone if you can get it cheap but it's not better than, say, a Nexus 5 (and the one only costs 349$) in my opinion

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    Doolittle2 and pooger like this.
    12-18-13 02:41 AM
    Interesting input. Thank you for sharing.
    12-18-13 05:47 AM
    I do not agree with "cheap panel". I do not see any stripes. Display is bright and clear. Due to RGB subpixels you can't even see difference between 720 and 1080p.

Thats my subjective opinion based on comparison with S4 and iPhone 5s. Even owners of these devices agree with me.

First feel that went through me when I had held the device was the "expensivenes"

Try hold HTC One with its fake aluminium parts and then compare with your Z30.

You can't say that Nexus 5 is better without proper argument. Very little is known about Z30 SoC cababilities etc...

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    CDM76, Frosty_Power and SDTRMG like this.
    12-18-13 06:09 AM
    The major downside is the apps. Apps like facebook, twitter and skype needs improvements

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:11 AM
    While I have to say that I don't have much confidence in Blackberry's ability to keep the company alive for much longer, I got a great deal on a Z30 and bought one.

Positive:

- keyboard
    - battery life
    - weight
    - the maps app
    - great reception

Negative:

- screen (resolution is nice, but it shows some striping on dark and grey backgrounds. Overall looks like it's a very cheap panel)
    - the app situation. Not only talking about the overall number of apps, but also about the quality (can't sign in to Skype, for example, because the keyboard doesn't work right during the two-factor authentication process)

Neutral / undecided

Overall it's a decent phone if you can get it cheap but it's not better than, say, a Nexus 5 (and the one only costs 349$) in my opinion

My screen looks great. Keyboard is amazing. Skype, no problem. Sounds to me like you got a "great deal" on a broken-*** phone.

Z30 FTW - Posted via CB10
    howards and Frosty_Power like this.
    12-18-13 08:18 AM
    My screen looks great. Keyboard is amazing. Skype, no problem. Sounds to me like you got a "great deal" on a broken-*** phone.

Awesome - I'll send it back then :-(

12-18-13 10:09 AM
    Great review, I hope you do take the time to enjoy the positives and give BBRY the time to perfect this device with updates.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    bspence87 likes this.
    12-18-13 10:20 AM
    Great review, I hope you do take the time to enjoy the positives and give BBRY the time to perfect this device with updates.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    I just took it back to the store because it appears to have a display problem (vertical banding, visible on dark and grey backgrounds). They didn't have a replacement and told me they can't get them anymore, so I got a refund :-(
    12-18-13 10:42 AM
    Here's a picture of the display issue:

Z30 first impressions-unnamed.jpg
    12-18-13 10:44 AM
    I just took it back to the store because it appears to have a display problem (vertical banding, visible on dark and grey backgrounds). They didn't have a replacement and told me they can't get them anymore, so I got a refund :-(
    Good call man. This could be a blessing in disguise. From you comments, it sounds like Android might be a better fit for you at the moment. I think everyone needs to take inventory of what they need their phone for before they decide. For me, first thing is typing and communicating because I write A LOT. UI functionality is a close second. Apps & games a distant 3rd. That's what my tablet is for.

mkelley65 likes this.
    12-18-13 01:13 PM
    Good call man. This could be a blessing in disguise. From you comments, it sounds like Android might be a better fit for you at the moment. I think everyone needs to take inventory of what they need their phone for before they decide. For me, first thing is typing and communicating because I write A LOT. UI functionality is a close second. Apps & games a distant 3rd. That's what my tablet is for.

I strongly dislike Android. We have Nexus devices at work and I would never buy one for myself. I was coming from a Lumia 920 (which I already sold), so now I'm somewhat undecided what to do. I'm technically allowed to use my N5 from work privately as well, but this would be a bad idea in more than one way. Either I'll try to find another Z30, or I'll take the plunge and get the Lumia 1520. My main uses for my phone are communications, Evernote, occasional web browsing and some photography. I don't play games on the phone (and not on the tablet either, for that matter :-)
    xhead75 likes this.
    12-18-13 02:26 PM
    I strongly dislike Android. We have Nexus devices at work and I would never buy one for myself. I was coming from a Lumia 920 (which I already sold), so now I'm somewhat undecided what to do. I'm technically allowed to use my N5 from work privately as well, but this would be a bad idea in more than one way. Either I'll try to find another Z30, or I'll take the plunge and get the Lumia 1520. My main uses for my phone are communications, Evernote, occasional web browsing and some photography. I don't play games on the phone (and not on the tablet either, for that matter :-)
    Sounds like you need a Z30 and a REAL camera. Cell-phone photography is like an oxy moron.

12-18-13 02:52 PM
    Sounds like you need a Z30 and a REAL camera. Cell-phone photography is like an oxy moron.

I have a real camera (I used to be a photographer) - but I found that for taking family pictures I prefer the phone. The Lumia had a fantastic camera and the 1520 apparently does, too. The z30's camera is clearly worse but still good enough, I'd say.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-18-13 03:38 PM
    Are you going to try and get one from somewhere else?

Sent from my Z30
    12-18-13 03:43 PM
    I have a Z30 and love the device. The camera is not the greatest, but yes it does suffice for a phone. I'm no photographer, but I like to carry a mid range canon with me. I like the fact that I can use my Z30 to connect via USB to a SD card reader so I can share the pictures from my real camera through my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by seemsixty7; 12-18-13 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fixed typos. DOH
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-18-13 03:44 PM
    I have a real camera (I used to be a photographer) - but I found that for taking family pictures I prefer the phone. The Lumia had a fantastic camera and the 1520 apparently does, too. The z30's camera is clearly worse but still good enough, I'd say.
    The 1020 is a camera with a phone attached to it it case you have to communicate with someone. XD

Terser Nori likes this.
    12-18-13 05:13 PM
    Are you going to try and get one from somewhere else?

Sent from my Z30
    Probably - it's a budget question. The one I had was off-contract and fairly cheap. The only retailer that seems to have them in stock here is Swisscom and they charge almost 800$ for it. Switzerland has never been a Blackberry country so these devices aren't available everywhere here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    12-18-13 11:14 PM
    The 1020 is a camera with a phone attached to it it case you have to communicate with someone. XD

I played with that in a shop but I don't like the screen size - WP8 doesn't work for me on small screens. The camera is said to be insane, though

12-18-13 11:16 PM
    Hope you find another Z30 or buy a Z10 for cheap. I agree with you about the camera, especially in comparison to a Nokia, but somethings gotta give. Nokia's "hook" is the camera so it's tough to compare BlackBerry to the best in class.

If you dislike Android but still want customization you're kinda out of luck. The iPhone is just as locked down as BlackBerry but without the smooth UI (my opinion).

I've never had the pleasure of using a Windows phone but I'm sure you left them for a reason.

I came from an iPhone 4s and used the BlackBerry Z10 for four months before upgrading to the Z30 which I've had for a few days. I think you'll come to appreciate the OS in time. The app situation is getting better every day and it's almost a non-issue for me since installing the Droid store in the 1055 leak.

Best of luck!

Posted via CB10
    xhead75, waterlilly10 and zipro like this.
    12-19-13 02:08 PM
    I played with that in a shop but I don't like the screen size - WP8 doesn't work for me on small screens. The camera is said to be insane, though

Ya the camera UI on 1020 is sick but it's a tough sell to put up with a M$ driven device.

12-19-13 03:33 PM
    The fact that the browser doesn't support text wrapping is a major downside.

Had I known that prior to purchase it could have swayed my decision. Viewing pages on the browser with this ridiculous oversight isn't worth it at all.

Most of my gripes are software related. Other than the sib par camera the hardware seems great.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 05:14 PM
    Does browser reader mode serve the same purpose?

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    12-19-13 06:36 PM
    My screen is beautiful. No keyboard problems. Nexus feels like garbage in the hand compared to Z30

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:02 PM

Positive:

- keyboard
    - battery life
    - weight
    - the maps app
    - great reception

Negative:

Neutral / undecided

You may not think it's as good as a Nexus5 but one of my co-workers has a Nexus5 and spends more time on my Z30 than her own phone. She says it's now at the top of her Christmas list. She apparently disagrees with you.
    12-20-13 12:05 AM
    My screen is beautiful. No keyboard problems. Nexus feels like garbage in the hand compared to Z30

Posted via CB10

agreed, the build quality of the Z30 is drastically better. Blackberry would be awesome if it only had more apps. Today's news made me bury the idea of getting another Z30. Blackberry is shifting its strategy away from flagship devices and also away from European and American customers. They've stopped making phones and have instead licensed the OS to Foxconn. BB will still be involved in designing phones but all the new ones will be el-cheapo lowest-end devices aimed at emerging markets. While I realize that this is BBs only short-term solution for survival, it also signifies the end of BB as a premium handset manufacturer. At the same time, we can kiss any hopes of ever getting more mainstream apps goodbye now.
    Last edited by zipro; 12-20-13 at 11:33 PM.
    12-20-13 03:18 PM
33 12