How can I download an app from blackberry app world and put it on my 64gig memory card. Is there a setting where from now on whatever I download it will go on my memory card. I was trying to download the update from asphalt 8 but it keeps coming up with an error message due to my device memory being full. Thankss

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:19 PM
    How can I download an app from blackberry app world and put it on my 64gig memory card. Is there a setting where from now on whatever I download it will go on my memory card. I was trying to download the update from asphalt 8 but it keeps coming up with an error message due to my device memory being full. Thankss

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately you cannot install apps on the SD card. You have to use main memory for apps.

See if there is any music, videos, etc... files you can move from main memory to your SD card. Your music player and video player will index you SD card so those files are good candidates to be moved.

Otherwise you need to uninstall some apps to free up some memory.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-26-14 06:22 PM
    I only have maybe 5 music songs and the rest are apps. Thats horrible and thats the problem with having a device memory of only 16 gigs cause now I have to juggle my apps and delete ones that I dont want to.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:29 PM
    What is the point of me getting a 64 gig memory card when my apps cant go on them? Is it for music and videos? Thats it? I think its awful that blackberry only gives u 16 gigs.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:31 PM
    What is the point of me getting a 64 gig memory card when my apps cant go on them? Is it for music and videos? Thats it? I think its awful that blackberry only gives u 16 gigs.

Posted via CB10
    I felt the same way when I had to start micro managing my memory when I had a 64GB SD card, so I understand where you are coming from.

I have read some opinions on why this is, and the best one I found that makes somewhat sense is that it's a security thing where the main memory is not remove able and therefore not modifiable outside of the device.

That doesn't help either of us, and you will need to start picking winning and losers for apps, but once you get a handle on it it's not too bad. I will say games that way up a gig+ are kind of crazy when you only get 16.
    BTW once you remove an app from your phone, as long as you don't remove it from the BlackBerry World you can always reinstall them later at no cost.

Last edited by HotFix; 01-26-14 at 07:04 PM.
    01-26-14 06:36 PM
    Yea it just sucks.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:55 PM
    Yea it just sucks.

Posted via CB10
    Has your device slowed down since you've loaded the device storage right up ?

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    01-26-14 07:11 PM
    What do u mean? R u saying since my device storage is full is my device slower? The answer would be no. Still the same. I just dont understand why they would create and awesome device like this and give 16 gigs of internal memory. Thats absolutely nothing

Posted via CB10
    Ben1232 likes this.
    01-26-14 07:23 PM
    I would delete my least played game. Hopefully it's a 1Gb+ game. My device storage is 30% full however.

01-26-14 07:37 PM
    I would delete my least played game. Hopefully it's a 1Gb+ game. My device storage is 30% full however.

Love the "karl" avatar

Via CB10 Rogers Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925/1926 Radio
    01-26-14 07:42 PM
    Love the "karl" avatar

Via CB10 Rogers Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925/1926 Radio
    You're in Canada and have heard of Karl

He did get about in the past I guess lool

01-27-14 03:40 AM
    OP. hope you don't mind but I would like to hijack your thread if possible. Just saves starting another "me too" thread on the forum. Of course, if you prefer me to start one, just shout and i will.

My issue is also related to memory management.
    I've looked my both my internal and external storage today. I seem to have something not quite right.

Internal:
    I have a total of 13.1gb's available, I assume this figure has already taken off the OS.
    It says, used 5.56gb and free 7.62gb (from windows)
    When I scan each folder and add together the actual - I'm at approx 300mbs..

Now I assume my apps are stored here (like the OP's) but 5gb??? That seems a lot.

External:
    I have a 64gb card installed.
    Windows is showing a total of 59.4gb available.. don't know where the other 4.6gb is.. lol

It says used is 44.3gb with 15.1gb free.
    Again, if I calculate manually by going to each folder, I have a total of 23.3gb used. What on earth is the hidden 21gb's????

Is there any way to tell windows or the Z30 to show hidden files?

Anybody else have any ideas please?

thanks OP for allowing (if you do)...
    01-27-14 06:30 AM
    OP. hope you don't mind but I would like to hijack your thread if possible. Just saves starting another "me too" thread on the forum. Of course, if you prefer me to start one, just shout and i will.

My issue is also related to memory management.
    I've looked my both my internal and external storage today. I seem to have something not quite right.

Internal:
    I have a total of 13.1gb's available, I assume this figure has already taken off the OS.

Now I assume my apps are stored here (like the OP's) but 5gb??? That seems a lot.

External:
    Windows is showing a total of 59.4gb available.. don't know where the other 4.6gb is.. lol

Again, if I calculate manually by going to each folder, I have a total of 23.3gb used. What on earth is the hidden 21gb's????

Is there any way to tell windows or the Z30 to show hidden files?

Anybody else have any ideas please?

thanks OP for allowing (if you do)...
    For the internal memory I believe some memory is inaccessible by you and reserved for System use. I have never gotten a clear picture as to where all 16GB is allocated.

For the external memory, it is only 59.something useable after formatting. This is common as you lose some to partition management and also the file system type. Also I don't know the SD cards are guilty of this, but older style hard drives would advertise their available space in chunks of 1000 bytes when they should have been advertising them as chunks of 1024 bytes. What I mean by this is if a 64GB storage pool was being advertised as 64,000,000 bytes, then it is really (64,000,000 / 1024) 62,500 MB, or (62,500 / 1024) 61GB.

As for your missing 21GB, are they perhaps listed as "other data" When you look at the storage card's property under the settings? If so search the forums for "other data" for a more detailed explanation of what this is.

uktivo likes this.
    01-27-14 06:47 AM
    / 1024) 61GB.
    As for your missing 21GB, are they perhaps listed as "other data" When you look at the storage card's property under the settings? If so search the forums for "other data" for a more detailed explanation of what this is.

Yes, it says 18.6 gb is other data.. off i go hunting on the forum.. lol...
    01-27-14 07:08 AM
    For those of you filling up your phone with games, go play on your computer, xbox, playstation, etc.
    These are phones, not gaming devices. Load a couple favorite games that you can play when you're away from your gaming device and leave your phone for what it was meant for. A communication tool.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    01-27-14 07:09 AM
    For the internal memory I believe some memory is inaccessible by you and reserved for System use. I have never gotten a clear picture as to where all 16GB is allocated.

For the external memory, it is only 59.something useable after formatting. This is common as you lose some to partition management and also the file system type. Also I don't know the SD cards are guilty of this, but older style hard drives would advertise their available space in chunks of 1000 bytes when they should have been advertising them as chunks of 1024 bytes. What I mean by this is if a 64GB storage pool was being advertised as 64,000,000 bytes, then it is really (64,000,000 / 1024) 62,500 MB, or (62,500 / 1024) 61GB.

You aren't going far enough. You have to start all the way at the bottom. 16GB on the phone is calculated as you stated. In 1000 byte increments. So (64 * 1000 bytes * 1000 KB * 1000 MB) / (1024 Bytes * 1024 KB * 1024 MB).

So 64,000,000,000/1073741824=59.60464477

I'm also pretty sure that the phone does hold a certain amount for reserve to do some things for the OS. Maybe swap files or something like windows does.

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    01-27-14 07:23 AM
    For those of you filling up your phone with games, go play on your computer, xbox, playstation, etc.
    These are phones, not gaming devices. Load a couple favorite games that you can play when you're away from your gaming device and leave your phone for what it was meant for. A communication tool.
    What an unhelpful post.

Some people need a number of games to alternate between on long public transportation trips.

geekaren likes this.
    01-27-14 07:41 AM
    When the phone is connected to pc as mass storage, right click the drive (z?) the choose properties. That will give you complete usage.
    I even renamed z to phone and y to 64gb so I don't delete from wrong place.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 07:53 AM
    These devices are what they are. On BlackBerry devices games run on internal memory. So put your pictures, songs, videos and documents on your removable memory. And complain to John Chen. And then upgrade to the Z50.

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    01-27-14 08:27 AM
    Thanks to a post on this thread and subsequent post here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...r-data-854972/

I've reclaimed 10gb of my "other data" from my SD card.. Heaven knows what it was.. but cleared it down and all works nicely..

thanks all and thanks to the op for allowing me to hijack the thread.
    Last edited by uktivo; 01-27-14 at 09:09 AM.
    01-27-14 08:43 AM
    What an unhelpful post.

Some people need a number of games to alternate between on long public transportation trips.

I don't know about it being an unhelpful post. It can be looked at as a reality check, though. Nobody NEEDS 16GB worth of games while traveling on public transit. No matter how long the trip. Not even on a long vacation/holiday trip. Now, they may WANT 16GB of games. But they hardly NEED that many on public transit. If they can't survive without 16GB of games on their phone while commuting, they NEED help. On a different note, however, it is a pain that the devices only have 16GB of memory for whatever the reason. But you DO quickly become familiar with shuffling around the apps that are important to you, and those that are not. It's just part of the BB10 experience for now.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 09:10 AM
    I don't know about it being an unhelpful post. It can be looked at as a reality check, though. Nobody NEEDS 16GB worth of games while traveling on public transit. No matter how long the trip. Not even on a long vacation/holiday trip. Now, they may WANT 16GB of games. But they hardly NEED that many on public transit. If they can't survive without 16GB of games on their phone while commuting, they NEED help. On a different note, however, it is a pain that the devices only have 16GB of memory for whatever the reason. But you DO quickly become familiar with shuffling around the apps that are important to you, and those that are not. It's just part of the BB10 experience for now.

Posted via CB10
    Understand your comment but take for example my situation. I have two games on my phone..Minion rush (my girls love it) and ten pin shuffle. Thats it.
    apart from them, I have nothing else except video and music, all stored on my SD card. Yet, I'm still running tight on memory..

"Internal:

External:

Again, if I calculate manually by going to each folder, I have a total of 23.3gb used. What on earth is the hidden 21gb's???? "

so looking at my situation, it's clear to me that the OS needs some way of clearing down these unused files.
    I carried out the procedure above on my sd card this afternoon and cleared off 10gb of unused files. No idea what they were, but they were not being used and removing them has had no ill effect on the phone, in fact, the opposite, as I've now claimed back 10gb worth of space on my sd card.
    Heaven knows what it would be like if I actually had a lot of apps and dare i say it, games on my phone.
    01-27-14 10:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    First of all you don't have 16GB of RAM at your disposal. You have about 13GB of RAM available to you, and that's for all apps including games. One game can take over 1GB, so you don't have to install many to eat up your storage considering it's for all apps (recreational and otherwise).

So no... chastising someone for installing games is not helpful.

Secondly using your argument of need versus want, technically you don't even *need* to have a mobile device but people want one. I don't even understand how this is relevant to the discussion at hand. We already covered the ground that app juggling is going to be required.

01-27-14 11:20 AM
    First of all you don't have 16GB of RAM at your disposal. You have about 13GB of RAM available to you, and that's for all apps including games. One game can take over 1GB, so you don't have to install many to eat up your storage considering it's for all apps (recreational and otherwise).

So no... chastising someone for installing games is not helpful.

Secondly using your argument of need versus want, technically you don't even *need* to have a mobile device but people want one. I don't even understand how this is relevant to the discussion at hand. We already covered the ground that app juggling is going to be required.

Exactly...people NEED to get their priorities straight. But, they don't WANT to. Which is why you don't understand the relevance of what I said. The truth always riles people up.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 04:42 PM
    [QUOTE=uktivo;9911032]Understand your comment but take for example my situation. I have two games on my phone..Minion rush (my girls love it) and ten pin shuffle. Thats it.
    apart from them, I have nothing else except video and music, all stored on my SD card. Yet, I'm still running tight on memory..

"Internal:

External:

Again, if I calculate manually by going to each folder, I have a total of 23.3gb used. What on earth is the hidden 21gb's???? "

so looking at my situation, it's clear to me that the OS needs some way of clearing down these unused files.
    I carried out the procedure above on my sd card this afternoon and cleared off 10gb of unused files. No idea what they were, but they were not being used and removing them has had no ill effect on the phone, in fact, the opposite, as I've now claimed back 10gb worth of space on my sd card.
    Heaven knows what it would be like if I actually had a lot of apps and dare i say it, games on my phone.[/QUOTE

I'm glad you understand what I'm saying. The bottom line is that there just isn't enough space on the actual device. In regards to your last paragraph, I once filled my Z10 with a lot of apps. The phone started doing weird things like sending media files (pics) to the wrong folders on my SD card, as well as causing them to completely disappear from the picture library. In some cases, pics that had been deleted would not go away. The same issue was taking place with music on my device. The crazy thing is, all of this media I was having issues with, was stored on my SD card. For awhile, I believed it to be Link causing the issues, but once I cleared up the space on the device by removing a large portion of apps, everything began to work normally again. Including Link's ability to work correctly with my phone as it had done the previous 9 months.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 05:03 PM
31 12