Quick question since I didn't find anything in the forums. I've been looking to buy a Z30 to replace my Z10 (battery issues getting annoying) but while I was looking at videos, specifically one from N4BB, and I noticed the silver chin is painted on. My Z10's usually out of a case and doesn't have a scratch but I'm worried that the z30 won't survive very long, has anybody had issues with the paint job? I love my Z10 but the battery is getting annoying.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    02-23-14 07:30 PM
    It can scratch just like any plastic but from my own experience as well as from others it seems to hold up well enough.

Posted via my Z30
    02-23-14 08:13 PM
    Yeah I've had mine for about 3 months. Running with it naked except the screen. No scratch on the silver chin. It's holding up pretty well

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    02-23-14 08:25 PM
    It's my understanding that the silver chin and trim is made of metal. Everything fits very tight. I think it is a very elegant and quality device. I have the Z10 as well. The Z10 does seems more rugged though. You can always get something like a ZAGG Invisible Shield. They work pretty well and have a lifetime warranty if you register it when you get it, or just have the person at the kiosk do it for a small fee. I like the leather pouch myself if you keep it in your pocket. Plus it has the magnets that put the phone to sleep which helps with battery consumption.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 09:08 PM
    Mines not scratched... My screen cover has scratches but not the silver bezel. it's pretty durable

Swordsmanship Channel _C000C9AF6
    02-23-14 09:19 PM
    Agreed. The silver "chin" is part of the bezel. No scratches since launch day. Buy it, you'll love it.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-23-14 09:24 PM
    bad display with Super AMOLED, that's why I still keep Z10
    02-23-14 10:22 PM
    Anyone that actually uses the Z30 does not call it a bad display. While the Z10 display is more crisp and accurate with the colors because it's LCD, the Super AMLOED display of the Z30 has its advantages. The Z10 display is phenomenal, imo, but the Z30 display is far from terrible.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 10:31 PM
    I've dropped mine on concrete from about 1.5 feet. It has a fee nicks but looks great considering it was the impact point. Other than that it has no other scratches.

Posted via CB10 on Z30/10.2.1.1925
    02-23-14 10:32 PM
    bad display with Super AMOLED, that's why I still keep Z10
    Like Lee says, but if you had a Z30 you would not say that. You're only saying that because you still have a Z10. Just sayin

Via CB Rockin Rogers Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141 /2142 Radio
    02-23-14 10:50 PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Guess I'll just have to decide between white or black. As for the display, I'm going to try to find more videos or visit a VW store.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-23-14 10:54 PM
    I'll echo others and say the display is fine and actually, is an upgrade from a typing and size perspective.

If you're going to be a dork about it then sure, maybe the screen is "worse" but I use both and don't notice any difference but I'm not looking for any.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 12:45 AM
    Yeah, I don't think the screen can really be that bad. I have a Note II that has a 5.5" 720p display which doesn't look bad at all.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App on my Z10!
    02-24-14 05:24 AM
    I think half the people who say the screen is worse haven't really sat down and tried the Z30... I still run mine at 50% or less and I really don't see any difference from my Z10. my videos and pictures are still crisp and clear, I have more screen to read on,or view videos on, and it's nice to have that area when typing on the keyboard.
    As for build quality, it's a well designed device.... yes the back is a trick to get off but how many times did a person drop his Z10 and have the back come off and the battery fly out? The Samsung S series are so delicate feeling that a person is scared to drop it with out a case as it might crack like an egg lol... or at least my old S3 felt that way. I like how the SD card and Sim card have a "push in and click" slots on them as it holds both in securely which was another thing with the Z10.... they just slide in and sit there...easily to come out or shift if dropped. To each their own when it comes to the device... I have bigger hands so it fits me perfect, the new call screen which has raised a debate on the forums, works just awesome as my thumbs work up or down and side to side....something that I guess is odd to some folks lol.
    The sealer of the deal is the larger battery, even in poor reception areas I still get 16 - 20 hrs no problem with 20% left when I plug it in at night..2 days of good use when at home in the city. Good sound if using the speaker on the phone, .... it's an all round good device... no worries if switching over.
    I have dropped mine in my garage with out a case on it and I kicked it when it fell trying to catch it...it flew and landed face down sliding across the floor...my chin piece got one tiny tiny little scratch on it but it's hardly noticeable...and it's in a case again now .

Sent flawlessly from my Z30!
    Carl Estes and JRF_1986 like this.
    02-24-14 08:45 AM
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be ordering my black Z30 this week! The white one looks nice but I prefer the back cover, seems less prone to slip.

02-24-14 11:00 AM
    Anyone that actually uses the Z30 does not call it a bad display. While the Z10 display is more crisp and accurate with the colors because it's LCD, the Super AMLOED display of the Z30 has its advantages. The Z10 display is phenomenal, imo, but the Z30 display is far from terrible.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. The screen on the Z30 is great. The colors seem better than they were on my old Z10. Anybody who says the screen isn't good is merely speaking from a "specs" standpoint or comparison.

Z30
    02-24-14 11:02 AM
    The z30 is a great phone but the display is noticably worse than something like the samsung galaxy s3. Its much dimmer and less sharp.

Nonetheless the z30 is an excellent phone. It just doesnt have the best screen.

02-24-14 11:30 AM
    The z30 is a great phone but the display is noticably worse than something like the samsung galaxy s3. Its much dimmer and less sharp.

Nonetheless the z30 is an excellent phone. It just doesnt have the best screen.

I have personal experience with the GS3. Great device, but the screen is no better than the Z30, imo.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 12:43 PM
    I have personal experience with the GS3. Great device, but the screen is no better than the Z30, imo.

Posted via CB10
    I have both devices in front of me right now with max brightness and the same image on screen. The s3 is quite a bit brighter. I am a BlackBerry supporter forever but there is no denying that the display is worse.

However, overall the z30 is a much much better phone than the s3 as well as the s4.

02-24-14 01:14 PM
    Ya people are making a big deal out of lower pixels but it's still a good screen it's got a higher pixel density then the PlayBook.

The larger screen and bigger keyboard more then makes up for any lack in pixel density that someone might think is some sort of issue

Swordsmanship Channel _C000C9AF6
    02-24-14 02:39 PM
    I have both devices in front of me right now with max brightness and the same image on screen. The s3 is quite a bit brighter. I am a BlackBerry supporter forever but there is no denying that the display is worse.

However, overall the z30 is a much much better phone than the s3 as well as the s4.

Alright.....I did a side by side comparison with my Z30 and a GS3 with a few HQ trailer videos and a couple of lower quality videos off of fb. The colors do pop more on the GS3. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it bugs me that it seems over colored. I guess that is what I recalled when I said that the GS3 display is no better than the Z30. The Z30 does seem to have a smoky tint to it. Still not bad as far as I'm concerned, but it is there. It's all pretty subjective anyway, to each their own. Personally, I can live with a little 'smokiness' rather than too much color. I do think the Z10 smokes both displays though. It weird when I watch movies an shows from BB World or from 'TV apps' such as the CBS app, the video quality is outstanding....

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:59 PM
    Alright.....I did a side by side comparison with my Z30 and a GS3 with a few HQ trailer videos and a couple of lower quality videos off of fb. The colors do pop more on the GS3. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it bugs me that it seems over colored. I guess that is what I recalled when I said that the GS3 display is no better than the Z30. The Z30 does seem to have a smoky tint to it. Still not bad as far as I'm concerned, but it is there. It's all pretty subjective anyway, to each their own. Personally, I can live with a little 'smokiness' rather than too much color. I do think the Z10 smokes both displays though. It weird when I watch movies an shows from BB World or from 'TV apps' such as the CBS app, the video quality is outstanding....

Posted via CB10
    Funnily enough, I'm willing to bet a decent amount (about $600 LOL ) that the screen's hardware can actually go brighter than it does but is being limited by software. I think they have done this to purposely to ensure that the battery lasts longer on the device...because most people just crank the brightness all the way up so it may as well be limited to save the battery. The S4 also has Super AMOLED and with the brghtness on full, the battery gets eaten rather quickly.
    02-24-14 07:18 PM
    Funnily enough, I'm willing to bet a decent amount (about $600 LOL ) that the screen's hardware can actually go brighter than it does but is being limited by software. I think they have done this to purposely to ensure that the battery lasts longer on the device...because most people just crank the brightness all the way up so it may as well be limited to save the battery. The S4 also has Super AMOLED and with the brghtness on full, the battery gets eaten rather quickly.
    I have a feeling the auto dimming on the Z30 is quite aggressive. If you shine a light on the light sensor next to the front facing camera, I notice the display gets much brighter on full brightness and dims as soon as I remove the light source. Maybe the poster that compared the s3 and Z30 side by side can try again with a light shining on the light sensor of the Z30 and S3 with both on full brightness to see if that makes a difference? I'd be interested to know the result.

Oh, and I have to say, the screen on the Z30 is fantastic in my opinion. I was worried because of all the posts saying it was sub par. Couldn't be further from the truth. I've had the Z10 and have the Z30 presently. I'm not disappointed in the least with the Z30 screen. It holds its own. Very good contrast and excellent sharpness. Not as sharp as the Z10, but then I think the 5 inch screen on the Z30 can be held slightly further away due to the increased size. That seems to compensate for the perceived sharpness.

Build quality and feel are top notch. It really has the feel of a high quality device. I found the Samsung felt a lot "cheaper" in the hand. Speakers are amazing and I love the ergonomics. Typing on the Z30 is a dream and the battery is a treat. Going on 19 hours now off charger with more than moderate use today and I'm still at 27%. My typical usage nets me 1.5 days off charger, but today was a heavier usage day.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 12:17 AM