This happend to me they actually had to replace the whole phone idk why it happend but it's messed up

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 10:50 AM
    Going thru the same crap with my wife's Z30. Brand new.....out of the box on eBay - 12/08/15. Black screen....SOS as everyone else posting on here.
    02-11-15 09:58 PM
    Going thru the same crap with my wife's Z30. Brand new.....out of the box on eBay - 12/08/15. Black screen....SOS as everyone else posting on here.
    Hey Latino I feel your pain... Take a look at my new EBAY purchase from January 30th, 2015

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-5-z30-995339/

which led me to a Ebay return and then I did this earlier this week...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-white-995934/

Waiting for the return to post to Paypal before I crack the new Z30 from DRiver... Good luck on your problem...
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-12-15 12:25 PM
    had no problems with that until I installed an os leak

Posted via CB10
    Your Z30 battery is non-removable. It's the only one you will ever have. Letting a lithium ion battery run down to 0 actually damages it over time. It's maximum capacity becomes reduced much faster than normal due to the damage to the battery chemistry that occurs when it is at such a low charge.

Advice: Do not to let your battery get below 20%, and definitely don't let it run down to 0 on a regular basis.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-12-15 11:17 PM
    Those of you having issues after battery runs down. There is an easy fix, just hook it up to your computer, run link, press the on button, computer should connect to it, now reinstall the os. I have fixed few , Z30 and playbooks using this method. Trust me it works.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-13-15 12:21 AM
    Your Z30 battery is non-removable. It's the only one you will ever have. Letting a lithium ion battery run down to 0 actually damages it over time. It's maximum capacity becomes reduced much faster than normal due to the damage to the battery chemistry that occurs when it is at such a low charge.

Advice: Do not to let your battery get below 20%, and definitely don't let it run down to 0 on a regular basis.

I agree. Letting the battery run down below 20% isn't a good idea

We still have our Playbook running pretty well and in all the time we've had it we only let the battery run into the red zone once or twice.

Also we keep a spare laptop battery in the fridge and cycle that once a month - charging it to almost full, then running it down to about 40% before putting it back in the fridge until the next month.

I'm paranoid of discharging the Z30 too much.

Bring back random taglines!
    02-13-15 01:24 AM

I know some people so set in their ways with older battery tech that I have told several times do not let the new batteries die, they are different. They refuse to listen and keep letting them run dead. Oh well, I tried.
    02-13-15 08:39 AM
    While I agree that running a battery till the unit turns off automatically is probably NOT the best procedure. It happens and the device should be able to deal with it and recharge. Even if the battery is adversely affected by taking it too low, it should never kill the device. That would be a design flaw.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-13-15 09:00 AM
    While I agree that running a battery till the unit turns off automatically is probably NOT the best procedure. It happens and the device should be able to deal with it and recharge. Even if the battery is adversely affected by taking it too low, it should never kill the device. That would be a design flaw.
    True, it still isn't good for lithium batteries to do it a lot.
    02-13-15 09:13 AM
    Hey Latino I feel your pain... Take a look at my new EBAY purchase from January 30th, 2015

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-5-z30-995339/

which led me to a Ebay return and then I did this earlier this week...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-white-995934/

Waiting for the return to post to Paypal before I crack the new Z30 from DRiver... Good luck on your problem...
    Thanks. I'll get her another one in a few weeks. When someone tries to convince me(of all ppl on here) that a leaked OS turned the screen on a new Z30 Black(my wife's) - three months later and also how illegal it is and voids the warranty....blah, blah. At the same time, my "used" Z30 has no issues and the same for my Z10 and two Q10s. No black screens. LOL. Told me to contact BlackBerry and tell him what they said. I won't post my response back to him. Anyway, thanks.
    02-13-15 09:35 AM
    Listen guys.. I totally understand all your logic with Lithium batteries but you should be able to power a brand new Z30 off with 80% battery, top it off to 100% and then hit the power button for it to boot and obviously have a screen that displays and works correctly. Not sure why it did what it did and no matter what I tried I could not get it to work again. I'm just concerned moving forward if this had something to do with the leaked 2267 OS or if I just got a bad unit. Obviously this has happen to others on this forum so to me it should be somewhat of a concern for Z30 owners and it has me second guessing when I crack my new DR Z30 open whether to put the leaked 2267 OS on or wait for the official release which in the end maybe the same version.... Just sayin...
    AntJones80 likes this.
    02-13-15 09:40 AM
    Lithium batteries are not like the old Nickel Cadmium batteries. They have a set number of power cycles from 0-100%. There seems to be something wrong with the display when there is zero power in the battery. But it seems to happen to leaked OS's more often. I am not sure the technical aspects of all this. I just know that I would not recommend letting it ever die. I run mine to about 10% and I am fine.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:33 PM
    But with the leak your running have you ever tried powering the unit off above the 10% battery level and then try powering the unit on? If so I would hope that your screen will still work properly and that you see it "physically" boot. Just throwing that out there as a question because that is all I did with my unit before the screen died...
    02-13-15 09:11 PM
    This is a 10.3 issue. More reports coming in every hour

If you have a z30 and have updated it, do not let the battery die

I've downgraded to 10.2. Wiped it. And on and on

I have got it to the point where it works fine when plugged in and will wake up a couple times after unplugging but basically it's a land line now.

Need a major warning out there for all z30 owners

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:07 PM
    Happened to mine as well, and coincidentally, it also happened after leaving it charging while it was turned off.

Had it shipped back to BlackBerry only to find out that it was a factory defect with the assembly of the phone. They replaced it shortly after with a new Z30.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 07:16 PM
    Black screen of death.

Had the same issue with my Z30 a couple months ago, before 10.3. My battery drained due to heavy use one day and I plugged in the charger. Red led then BlackBerry logo then off. Never came back on after that. I was about to send it in for repairs thinking it might have something to do with the charging port. Searched on line and found a video on how to replace the screen. It's actually very easy, plus with the screen off I was able to disconnect the battery cable. Reassembled and connected the charger and all is well with the world again.

Here's my theory for what it's worth. If the battery goes completely dead and you plug in a charger and the unit begins to boot up but loses the charge connection I think the software hangs at that point and won't restart. Disconnecting the battery will obviously do a hard reset. Holding down the volume up and down keys won't work if the phones off.

Should have a hard reset switch inside in my opinion.

Just my observation.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:34 PM
    Black screen of death.

Had the same issue with my Z30 a couple months ago, before 10.3. My battery drained due to heavy use one day and I plugged in the charger. Red led then BlackBerry logo then off. Never came back on after that. I was about to send it in for repairs thinking it might have something to do with the charging port. Searched on line and found a video on how to replace the screen. It's actually very easy, plus with the screen off I was able to disconnect the battery cable. Reassembled and connected the charger and all is well with the world again.

Here's my theory for what it's worth. If the battery goes completely dead and you plug in a charger and the unit begins to boot up but loses the charge connection I think the software hangs at that point and won't restart. Disconnecting the battery will obviously do a hard reset. Holding down the volume up and down keys won't work if the phones off.

Should have a hard reset switch inside in my opinion.

Just my observation.

Posted via CB10
    There could be something to your method. It reminds me and others of the Playbook's odd battery charging algorithm - if it got too low the stupid software/firmware would be disabled and not permit charging. The procedure developed was Stack Charging. Plug it in for a minute +/- and unplug and keep repeating over and over. Worked well on a switched power strip where you would not stress the usb ports - just throw the switch on/off, etc. Eventually, there'd be enough power in the battery to allow normal charging to occur. But if it started to boot, that would be sufficient to drive the battery back down below the threshold.

Folks are not convinced BB made the same mistake with the BB10 devices but maybe they accidentally came close.

And some folks opened the Playbook and either disconnected the battery terminals or even gave it the "pacemaker" treatment - jumpering the battery with some battery chargers.

I'm not an engineer but is it possible for the software to have disabled something that allows power to blow out the screen????

Above you say, "with the screen off - disconnect the battery" It is not clear, did you actually replace the screen or just disconnect the battery and reattach the old screen???
    03-03-15 12:16 AM
    check my post here, I am making great progress on this issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11433339
    03-05-15 11:45 AM
    Mine has now been working properly for 11 hours. I do believe I have fixed this one. Read through my long post linked above, its working.
    03-05-15 10:27 PM
    BlackBerry has responded in a positive manner on this issue.

Read the new KB article, updated today:
    BlackBerry Z30 smartphone screen will not turn on, and appears blank or black after software update

Resolution

To facilitate the repair, the limited warranty has been extended for all BlackBerry Z30 smartphones experiencing the issue described within the Overview section above to April 12th, 2015. To process repair for affected BlackBerry Z30 smartphones, please Email [email protected], providing the PIN number from the BlackBerry Z30 smartphone so that can be used to process this request.
    Please note: conditions that will void BlackBerry�s limited warranty include: signs of misuse (cracks, bite marks, tread marks, etc.), indications the device has been submerged in liquid, opening of the device by non-authorized service providers, exposure to extreme heat and purposeful removal of device identifying serial numbers.
    nixysug likes this.
    03-25-15 09:24 AM
    about that, what's the "PIN" of the phone ? it is not the IMEI number?
    03-25-15 10:28 AM
    about that, what's the "PIN" of the phone ? it is not the IMEI number?
    Separate number. Main Settings, About, use the dropdown in the right upper corner and select Hardware. Pin number if there.

Or opening an email or text page, type

mypin (and press the spacebar and autocorrect will fill it in for you)
    03-25-15 11:42 AM
    Separate number. Main Settings, About, use the dropdown in the right upper corner and select Hardware. Pin number if there.

Or opening an email or text page, type

mypin (and press the spacebar and autocorrect will fill it in for you)
    OK I found it (fortunately I took a picture of the phone's back before sending it to support)

For your hint, thank you but considering my phone is dead for a month, it would be hard for me to check it from the BB OS )
    03-26-15 04:15 AM
    I had the black screen happen and tried to reload software, now it says I have no radio and no space on it. It's definitely the hardware with mine. I ended up purchasing another but got the 100-2 instead of 100-5. It seems I had this same issue with the old 9000. Ah...the memories!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 07:56 AM
    OK I found it (fortunately I took a picture of the phone's back before sending it to support)

For your hint, thank you but considering my phone is dead for a month, it would be hard for me to check it from the BB OS )
    Ah, yes, I lost the context of the question (Black Screen thread). Although, I guess you can plug into hdmi tv as others have done and see the info.

Good luck with the repair/replacement.
    nixysug likes this.
    03-26-15 08:31 AM
50 12