I got a Trancend USB SD/MicroSD Card reader for my Z30 about 2 weeks ago, not even thinking that if it was USB OTG compliant.

Plugged it in to the Z30 when the OS was on 10.2.0.424, didn't work. Upgraded the OS to 10.2.1 via Sachesi and now the card reader works!
    Looks like they bundled in some more drivers with the new release.

Well Done BB Development team! So if your device didn't work on 10.2.0 give the device a try again.

Hidden features still being uncovered........
    moody, kmnphg, Superfly_FR and 1 others like this.
    01-29-14 07:38 PM
    Good to know because I saw a usb to micro 16GB i want to buy!
    01-29-14 07:40 PM
    Yup I found this out yesterday when I was testing for the dock I am making

From my big dirty Z30
    01-29-14 08:53 PM
    Just be aware.... Some card readers might seem to work, but then suddenly you can risk finding your data corrupted..

This is NOT an issue with the Z30, but with the fact that some card reader/writers require more USB power than the Z30 gives.

Best practice to use a card reader for Z30, especially if you nee to Write to the card, - is to either use a USB OTG cable W/external power, or use a powered USB HUB to connect it all together.

Another thing to remember- is that the Z30 does Not charge while connected to USB HUB...

Besides from that- It's brilliant to be mobile and be able to do things on-the-road,..

Another nice feature is the BBLink Remote connection to your desktop computer.... read/write files directly from/to your computer when out doing presentations - a feature that works on All BB10 devices
    PatrickMJS, Superfly_FR and yvpan1 like this.
    01-29-14 09:06 PM
    I found that out by accident the other day when I had downloaded BB Link to my new computer at work. I happened to have my Z30 on my desk with wifi and BT on and I noticed that Link said my Z30 was connected. I thought what? My Z isn't connected. Opened up media in Link and sure enough it was connected. It did it automatically. I didn't realize it did that until then. Pretty cool.
    01-30-14 01:29 AM
    You'll probably enjoy this then
    01-30-14 01:32 AM
    You'll probably enjoy this then
    That's amazing. Has anyone tried doing that with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? And also, if you had the BlackBerry music gateway, wouldn't you be able to hook it up to a nice stereo to listen to as well?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 03:35 AM
    That video really shows the power of the Z30 and the future of mobile computing. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Kennedy.L likes this.
    01-30-14 04:55 AM
    The two problems that still exist with BlackBerry's version of OTG USB are that exFAT does not seem to be supported in the OTG USB flash drive. I hear that exFAT is working for MicroSD Cards now, so I immediately tried formatting my 16GB flash drive that I keep specifically for my Z30 to exFAT. When you plug the formatted drive into the Z30 you are presented with the following message:

USB Device Problem
    Go to the Storage setting for details

You can go there all you like. There is nothing mentioning the external USB, so exFAT is still not working for flash drives. This is a huge issue if you plan on having any file greater than 4GB in size.

The second problem is charging while using the OTG USB port. I specifically purchased a Y OTG USB cable that would allow me to charge the Z30 while also having it plugged into a powered USB hub or just the OTG USB drive. Nothing happens regarding the charging. We took my cable and plugged it into a Samsung Galaxy phone (no ideo which one) and the phone started charging while also seeing the OTG drive. Since only a Z30 from Verizon can be wirelessly charged, this is also a problem. Assuming they ever get the exFAT issue solved, leaving my phone playing a movie for two hours while powering the flash drive, and displaying thru HDMI or Miracast is a battery drain. If the phone was charging at the same time, no issue.
    PatrickMJS and MPG Vancouver like this.
    01-30-14 11:03 AM
    That's amazing. Has anyone tried doing that with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? And also, if you had the BlackBerry music gateway, wouldn't you be able to hook it up to a nice stereo to listen to as well?
    Yes the BlueTooth mouse by Logitech works and so does the Apple BlueTooth keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    01-30-14 06:50 PM
    The two problems that still exist with BlackBerry's version of OTG USB are that exFAT does not seem to be supported in the OTG USB flash drive. I hear that exFAT is working for MicroSD Cards now, so I immediately tried formatting my 16GB flash drive that I keep specifically for my Z30 to exFAT. When you plug the formatted drive into the Z30 you are presented with the following message:

USB Device Problem

You can go there all you like. There is nothing mentioning the external USB, so exFAT is still not working for flash drives. This is a huge issue if you plan on having any file greater than 4GB in size.

The second problem is charging while using the OTG USB port. I specifically purchased a Y OTG USB cable that would allow me to charge the Z30 while also having it plugged into a powered USB hub or just the OTG USB drive. Nothing happens regarding the charging. We took my cable and plugged it into a Samsung Galaxy phone (no ideo which one) and the phone started charging while also seeing the OTG drive. Since only a Z30 from Verizon can be wirelessly charged, this is also a problem. Assuming they ever get the exFAT issue solved, leaving my phone playing a movie for two hours while powering the flash drive, and displaying thru HDMI or Miracast is a battery drain. If the phone was charging at the same time, no issue.
    Thanks for posting these 2 important limitations. I sure hope they can be fixed with a software update.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 06:52 PM

USB Device Problem

Use a more powerful charger maybe? Like the PB charger?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 07:10 PM
    Yes the BlueTooth mouse by Logitech works and so does the Apple BlueTooth keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I guess this kinda solves the charging problem then? Just use bluetooth keyboard and mouse and leave the phone in charge while we wirelessly transmit video and sound to the TV/projector...

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:29 AM
    Hello Everyone,

Hard Drive or Pen Drives attached to the OTG MUST be FAT32 or FAT to be recognized. It does not support NTFS or exFAT yet. Maybe in the future due software enhancements.
    02-03-14 10:43 AM
    Good news indeed
    02-03-14 10:50 AM
    They need to fix it!!
    Also, SanDisk extreme pro 16gb don't work with Z30, other people also reported that the 32gb has issues too
    Beware of getting that card!

http://www.change.org/petitions/t-mo...-amazing-phone !!!!!spread the word!!!! http://www.petitions24.com/attz30
    02-03-14 10:56 AM