Before I got my Z30 I read many off-hand comments about the great battery life of the Z30. Some reviews also mentioned very good longevity. But on my first regular work day with the Z30 I am rather disappointed. It was in the charger all night. I had charged it fully once before that. I unplugged it at about 7am. I went to work. I watched no videos at all, either streaming or from the device memory. I streamed no music either. I only surfed occasionally (probably more than the average person, but not a crazy amount--I was at work. And I of course did some email. Flash is not enabled. Nearly no texting was done. It is now 2:08pm, and the battery is at 18%. This is about the life of my previous, 2-year-old phone, and part of the impetus to get a new phone. So not a deal breaker for me, since I get a phone with better internal specs and a larger screen. But still...Is my experience uncommon?
    [Oy! thread title typo. Sorry.]
    11-27-13 02:15 PM
    You can expect the battery to die quick and the phone to heat up for the first 48 hours. Your phone is indexing a lot of information in the background as it sets up your recently added accounts.
    Give it a few days and you will see a big improvement.
    This is also true with your keyboard correction suggestions. Give it three weeks and your keyboard knows you well.
    Carl Estes and anon8091350 like this.
    11-27-13 02:24 PM
    When you first buy a phone, or update the OS, you have to let it settle. See how it is in a couple of days. Leave what you usually use running (eg if you use BBM a lot, leave the app running - if you don't, shut it down. Each time you start it from being off, it re-syncs from when you last used it, using battery life.) When things have settled/synced, you should see the posted battery life. But come back to the Z30 forums and see what others have said.
    11-27-13 02:26 PM
    Give it 48 hrs atleast
    11-27-13 02:29 PM
    It must sync and organize your data.

That uses a lot of CPU and time.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 02:35 PM
    Doesn't seem right. It's 3:40 pm and my phone's been off the charger since 8:40 am and I'm sitting at 69% with moderate usage so far today - a phone call, surfing, texting. Maybe let it settle in a bit. BTW I'm on the leaked 10.2.1.1055 but I also had good battery life with the stock OS that it came with which was 10.2.0.something....
    11-27-13 02:39 PM
    If you read many posts about battery life, then I don't know how you missed the multiple post about the first few days the battery does drain fast. I read about this in all the Z10, Q10 and now Z30 posts.

If you choose to install/update the OS or do a security wipe expect the same faster than usual drain for the first few days.
    11-27-13 02:47 PM
    Whenever I buy a new phone I always let the battery drain before I charge it up the first time

As others correctly pointed out the battery needs time to gain momentum and run at optimum output
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    11-27-13 03:23 PM
    Before I got my Z30 I read many off-hand comments about the great battery life of the Z30. Some reviews also mentioned very good longevity. But on my first regular work day with the Z30 I am rather disappointed. It was in the charger all night. I had charged it fully once before that. I unplugged it at about 7am. I went to work. I watched no videos at all, either streaming or from the device memory. I streamed no music either. I only surfed occasionally (probably more than the average person, but not a crazy amount--I was at work. And I of course did some email. Flash is not enabled. Nearly no texting was done. It is now 2:08pm, and the battery is at 18%. This is about the life of my previous, 2-year-old phone, and part of the impetus to get a new phone. So not a deal breaker for me, since I get a phone with better internal specs and a larger screen. But still...Is my experience uncommon?
    [Oy! thread title typo. Sorry.]
    It's common for the battery to die relatively quickly at the start. The first few days I had mine it lasted about 12 hours. After about a week or 2, I went about 34 hours on a full charge. I tend to always put it on the charger each night now anyways but when I put it to charge, which is around 8pm, i usually have 60% at least. Currently I'm at 66% left and i took it off the charger at 6am. And I use my phone quite a bit

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 03:27 PM
    Manufacturers of lithium batteries consistently and repeatedly say they don't need priming. And I think a manufacturer knows more than a forum troll like yourself.

And this other idea that the OS needs to "settle" is bizarre too. Settle? Seriously? It sure doesn't on my device, since I have added all of two files to it since I got it (since Link doesn't work with my version of OSX).

And: "by far the best battery life"? Source? Sounds to me like--how do you say--"stupid nonsense".

I am really sick of reading so stupid nonsense. If the op read so much he claimed he would know that the os has to settle down and that the Z30 has by far the best battery life.
    I am writing 300 messages a day and have like 4 hours of talk time per day and the battery lasts one day easily.

Please please moderators delete such posts immediately.

Posted via CB10
    wehttam, Relletti and shupor like this.
    11-27-13 03:46 PM
    I am really sick of reading so stupid nonsense. If the op read so much he claimed he would know that the os has to settle down and that the Z30 has by far the best battery life.
    I am writing 300 messages a day and have like 4 hours of talk time per day and the battery lasts one day easily.

Please please moderators delete such posts immediately.

Posted via CB10
    If you have nothing sensible to contribute to this discussion, why not refrain from making nasty responses like this?

I don't think any other OS out there needs time to 'settle' like many of you claim for BB10 and Legacy BBOS.
    SethDove likes this.
    11-27-13 03:47 PM
    And this other idea that the OS needs to "settle" is bizarre too. Settle? Seriously? It sure doesn't on my device, since I have added all of two files to it since I got it (since Link doesn't work with my version of OSX).
    Except they do.
    11-27-13 03:50 PM
    I have gotten easily 18 hrs of moderate use. That includes videos, streaming music, 4 email accounts 1 constant through the work day, 4bbm chats and 1 group, surfing and site testing. Phone off charger at 6:15 back on charger at 11-11:30 still easily 20-30%. Some times at night I'm murdering it hard to get it below 20. Give it a few days and some full cycles of the battery then report back. Also using Z30STA100-5/10.2.0.1767

Posted via Z30 using CB10
    11-27-13 03:51 PM
    Except they do.
    Without concrete information from Blackberry detailing why this would be, this is just another silly ghost story or urban legend based on flawed anecdotal information. I would have no problems eating crow if such supportive evidence was found. But it truly makes no sense.
    shupor likes this.
    11-27-13 04:00 PM
    Without concrete information from Blackberry detailing why this would be, this is just another silly ghost story or urban legend based on flawed anecdotal information. I would have no problems eating crow if such supportive evidence was found. But it truly makes no sense.
    It's not the battery that needs to settle it's all the syncing emails and indexing of contacts that takes a hit on battery life. And that is normal on the first day.

Posted via CB10
    highos, irweezyy, gebco and 4 others like this.
    11-27-13 04:11 PM
    Well we don't know how many accounts are syncing or how they are set up.
    It could be any number of things not playing nice. These things happen with all modern phones from time to time.

As far as 'flawed anecdotal' when I see enough people observing the same thing I keep observing, I don't consider that flawed. We can measure the difference in battery use. That's not simply anecdotal.
    It is a fact that there will be a lot of syncing going on when you add multiple accounts and social media To a new phone. Would you like the tech giants to issue documents about that? Perhaps one telling us that dropping can lead to breakage as well? Just so there's no confusion?
    11-27-13 04:22 PM
    The OS performs extensive indexing upon first load. This will complete within a few hours, you'll get better battery life tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 04:27 PM
    I've gotten basically a full day of heavy usage out of it. Its not mind blowing battery life but it's probably about as good as you are going to get out of any phone in 2013.
    11-27-13 04:36 PM
    That sounds like a bit of a busted battery to me. I would give it another day but if it doesn't improve I'd return the phone for a replacement

Posted via my Z30
    11-27-13 04:43 PM
    Manufacturers of lithium batteries consistently and repeatedly say they don't need priming. And I think a manufacturer knows more than a forum troll like yourself.

And: "by far the best battery life"? Source? Sounds to me like--how do you say--"stupid nonsense".
    Did you setup email? If you did, it has to sync all your emails from your source to the phone the first time you set it up. That synchronization will kill your battery. My Z30 last a full day very easily.

Are you using 4G and is the signals for your area strong. Around here 4G coverage is poor and the radio used up the battery trying to connect. I switched back to HPSA and the battery lasts a long time.
    Carl Estes and Andrew4life like this.
    11-27-13 04:43 PM
    Give it at least 48 hours. Let all your contacts, email, fb and other accounts you have in your phone to sync in.

Proud owner of Q10, Z10 and Z30
    11-27-13 04:48 PM
    All I will say is.. I got my Z30 the Thursday before last... and my Z30 did not die that fast. I'm not calling the OP a liar, but I have been overly happy with my Z30's battery performance. I have a hard time running the battery down to red because I don't hit 50% until 13 hours in or so.. I end up charging above 40% majority of the time which is after 18 hours maybe. That's just my experience.
    11-27-13 04:49 PM
    i totally agree with your above post why in this day and age do you need to prime a battery when they are saying that u actually shouldnt you actually dont need to do that in this day and age and you have another good point as well u dont have to do that with other devices. i luv blackberry but i think we really need to keep things real
    11-27-13 04:50 PM
    The first few days I had my Z30. It was not stellar performance on the battery life. After giving it a couple of days the Phone is amazing. I can play music all day, bbm, text phone calls and browse the web all day easily. I start my day at 4:50am then usually end my day around 10:00pm. My battery is typically around 40% by 10:00pm on an average day. I've actually made it two days with he first day being heavy use while the second was very light.
    11-27-13 04:53 PM
    It's quite bizarre the mentality around here. The question of whether I am a liar...what is wrong with this forum? Why in the world would I be lying? I asked for others's experiences to see if perhaps I had a bad battery or device. Because I went very easy on the Z30 early on. I am not a tech newby. I have some idea what I am doing.

I found some sensible people discussing this issue some time back. It really does seem to be some sort of weird wives tale that won't die.
    Anyway, thanks to those who gave info on their initial and ongoing battery life.
    howards likes this.
    11-27-13 04:55 PM
77 123 ...