In my quixotic attempts to get my Z30 working with the TMo OS pushed out last week and get wire-fi calling to work, I've asked enough people and received enough responses to figure out what we need.

Several people have pointed out the the radio file in the Z30 is different than the radio in the Z10. As you know, to get the Z30 to work with the latest OS required stripping out the Z10 radio bar file and dropping in one for our phone.

Here is the nub of the problem, the Wi-Fi calling is part of the radio bar file.

A possible solution? I don't know it will work, but if the Wi-Fi calling is imbedded in the radio file, it would seem that if someone could read the old and new Z10 radio file, that the difference between the files might be the new wi-fi calling feature.

It might take some trial and error, but if you could copy that line(s) of programing from the new Z10 TMo radio file, and dropped into the Z30 radio file, we might be able to get our phones to have wi-fi calling.

Is anyone up to this task?
    ameetmedi and ovalfastlx like this.
    03-16-14 07:35 PM
    i would love to have wifi calling on my z30 but this seems like a huge task. your theory sounds like it may work out but we can only hope for the best.
    03-16-14 07:53 PM
    Subbed to this thread.

Posted via BlackBerry White Z30
    03-17-14 02:28 PM
    Good suggestion, but unfortunately you can't load a radio/OS file that isn't electronically signed by BlackBerry themselves, and what you ask requires somebody to edit the files and resign them.

Even if they managed to get WiFi calling on the Z30 radio file, there's no guarantee that you'd be able to use it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 03:41 PM
    Good suggestion, but unfortunately you can't load a radio/OS file that isn't electronically signed by BlackBerry themselves, and what you ask requires somebody to edit the files and resign them.

Even if they managed to get WiFi calling on the Z30 radio file, there's no guarantee that you'd be able to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Glad you mentioned it. I was just gonna mention that this is a dumb thing and impossible to do without the BlackBerry signing code.
    03-17-14 04:10 PM
    And what exactly happens to the pre-existing signing code in the radio file?

A bunch of nay sayers. 'probably won't work" agreed, but you don't know until you've tried.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 04:42 PM

A bunch of nay sayers. 'probably won't work" agreed, but you don't know until you've tried.

Posted via CB10
    The code is destroyed when the file is modified.
    03-17-14 04:58 PM
    Here is the nub of the problem, the Wi-Fi calling is part of the radio bar file.
    And what if any component of the process is dependent on T-Mobile? Even if you can get the Z30 and Z10 signed radio files, find whatever has to do with WiFi calling, put it in the Z30 file and resign, if it depends on T-Mobile, all you would have done is waste time.

I've heard that people with STL100-2 devices (identical radio/OS code to STL100-3, mind you) can't get WiFi calling to work on T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    03-17-14 05:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Okay then, I'll admit that I could be wrong. But I won't pretend that I know for a fact that it's possible or not. Hope you find what you're looking for, but I definitely can't help you.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 05:44 PM
    Now I'm confused. Our phones run all sorts of apps without blackberry signatures. Why not a radio app?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 06:49 PM
    Now I'm confused. Our phones run all sorts of apps without blackberry signatures. Why not a radio app?

Posted via CB10
    Because its a core OS component... not a app...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-17-14 06:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    If non-BlackBerry developers and engineers had the capability of modifying core OS files, such as the radio file, and then being able to have that file installed on user devices (both consumer and enterprise), what's stopping a less than honorable person from exploiting that power to embed malicious code to spy on people, steal their information, etc.?

BlackBerry is literally a security-first company from end to end, so they control what third-parties can modify down to the root level of the operating system to prevent potential security breaches. They don't mess around with files like these, and even the "leaks" are straight from BlackBerry, but just not slated for public release.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 08:44 PM
    When the Kineto version of wifi-calling came out, it was the first version that did not require hardware on the phone (like UMA did). There was a debate on the Developer's Forum on how to port it over to Android phones which did not get the T-Mo OTA update, like the Nexus something or other. They managed to pull it off. But it required rooting of the device. And, Linux is an extremely complaint system to begin with.
    03-18-14 10:44 AM
    When the Kineto version of wifi-calling came out, it was the first version that did not require hardware on the phone (like UMA did). There was a debate on the Developer's Forum on how to port it over to Android phones which did not get the T-Mo OTA update, like the Nexus something or other. They managed to pull it off. But it required rooting of the device. And, Linux is an extremely complaint system to begin with.
    Can you point me where in the android developers forum they got the wifi calling working?
    03-18-14 11:44 AM
    Can you point me where in the android developers forum they got the wifi calling working?
    Will try to find. But as I recall it was in a post about sorting out wifi-calling on Motorola Defy (perhaps Moto phones on t-mo in general) by making small changes to router settings. A poster chimed in that certain changes are what finally made his ported over version (Kineto) work. So it may have been a post on T-mo. Let me dig. Number of years ago.
    03-18-14 01:10 PM
    AFAIK, it hasn't been done. The XDA bounty still lives.
    03-18-14 04:20 PM
    AFAIK, it hasn't been done. The XDA bounty still lives.
    Yes, I found the original post and PM'd the author who has yet to get back to me. But upon looking at the XDA forum -- though it's unclear what became of their Kineto efforts -- the ims is still not cracked. My bad Found this interesting: the-ims-open-source-project-for-android - ... - Google Project Hosting
    03-19-14 10:28 AM
    OK, came back with this: (yes, it's a Nexus One, but like I said, old post)

AndroidSPIN | WiFi Calling is a reality on the Google Nexus One on T-Mobile running CyanogenMOD 7
    03-20-14 11:49 AM
    There was a thread a while back about sta100-2 getting Wifi calling to work:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=889380

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    03-28-14 09:49 PM
    There was a thread a while back about sta100-2 getting Wifi calling to work:

TMO Wifi calling on 10.2.1.1925 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    I remember that thread. But nothing really came out of it as to how the OP was getting WiFi calling on it.
    03-29-14 12:26 AM
    Was he the only one to get it to work

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 09:18 AM
    Was he the only one to get it to work

Posted via CB10
    It was not clear that he actually did and thus far no one else has.
    03-29-14 10:20 AM
    Just tried sideloading apk that reportedly worked for cyanogenmod. It asked for google services and crashed on start lol i swear im going to break this device.
    04-01-14 08:26 PM
    Just tried sideloading apk that reportedly worked for cyanogenmod. It asked for google services and crashed on start lol i swear im going to break this device.
    If it's the app I linked to, that's for the previous version of wifi-calling, Kineto. The current version is IMS. Kineto phones still work on t-mo wifi-calling, but I think that was on Android 2.2 or something. FWIW.
    04-01-14 10:07 PM