If there is one thing that has driven me crazy over the past 2 years it's the loss of contact information when either changing out a device or reloading a backup.

It is ALWAYS the information that is hard written to the contact file. And that information is a major PITA to get back.

I have tried to figure out if its those contacts that are from Linkedin or FB, Google or whatever that are the ones affected...but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which files are affected and those that aren't. And of course most of them are friends or family.

Am I the only one here ...?? Happened all the time on my old Q10, Happens on the wifes Z10 as well and with the update's happened again to both phones. I have no issue inputting hard data into my contacts, but damnit, I want that info to REMAIN there .!!

I must be doing or [i]not[/] doing something wrong...?

Maddening

Stk
    moody likes this.
    03-30-15 02:17 PM
    I had issues on 10.1.x and 10.2.x with my work email account (Notes and Traveler) . If I edited the contacts on the device, a short time later I would lose contacts (not just the records edited) . Usually a reboot on the device would re populate the contacts app. Same thing was happening to my work calendar.

When I upgraded to 10.3.1 I did a clean install (reload of OS after the 10.3.1 update) and now I can edit the contacts on the device and nothing disappears.

Might be worth a try to solve your situation.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 03:21 PM
    I do not use LinkedIn, or Facebook and use only BB issued OS, have never had a problem in 7 years.

RPR1NGLE
    03-30-15 03:27 PM
    Your Contacts are your problem - take ownership and (1) create Outlook image as vcf file and (2) use app Contact X.

Place multiple copies in your safe, bank vault, etc. Use mayo jars liberally.

In my case, I have a yahoo account with tons of legacy issues and rats' nests. I simply cannot generate the rules I used to build it over the years.

We are all victims of the lust of companies for more and more contacts.
    tdyhedge likes this.
    03-30-15 03:34 PM
    I personally haven't had issues with the contact app but then again all my contacts are stored within outlook and then synced with my phone through active sync through my work.

I tell my friends to take the same approach personality as well. Use something like Outlook or Gmail and store your contacts there, then sync to your phone from that email account.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    03-30-15 03:36 PM
    You are not alone. Happens to me. As well as calendar entries getting deleted.

I had originally created a Gmail acct b/c people said whatever was on the device was getting corrupted during backup and/or restore. Happened on Gmail so I thought it was Google fault. So I moved everything to outlook.com and yesterday noticed a contact was missing and a recurring calendar entry was gone.

Really really really making me angry.
    tdyhedge and manorlord like this.
    03-30-15 06:18 PM
    Your Contacts are your problem - take ownership and (1) create Outlook image as vcf file and (2) use app Contact X.

Place multiple copies in your safe, bank vault, etc. Use mayo jars liberally.
    That's really good advice. Something I believe I've heard from someone else as well, recently. I suggest people do this, so they won't be really really really angry.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    03-30-15 06:56 PM
    Well yes, there are fixes. But thats not the issue.

If I manually enter a new contact, input ph numbers and an e-mail address. It should forever remain a contact ...no.? Well it dont. If I link to that same persons FB, or LI contact info it also has a tendency to lose the ph # and e-mail yet retain the crap from those social sites. Maybe the issue is that one should use the hard coded info and then link their FB/LI accounts to that .vcf....??

Its frustrating no matter how you look at it. But nowhere near enough for me to think about going to the dark side...iOS or Droid.

stk
    moody likes this.
    03-31-15 10:06 AM
    Contact management is a pain, it's true, I suggest adding them to your windows account by syncing and then manually adding the ones that were missed. That usually works.
    03-31-15 10:28 AM
    I don't use social media and I still have the problem. But guess what? My sister who has a Galaxy 5 has the problem too. So does my brother with a HTC One.
    03-31-15 10:31 AM
    I have my contacts synced with a Microsoft Exchange account and have zero problems. What's more, I don't every have to worry about losing my device or anything since everything is always available in the cloud. I recommend the OP export all contacts to a CSV file and then creating an Outlook.com or Hotmail.com account and them importing contacts there. The contacts sync on BB10 works very well with Microsoft accounts.
    03-31-15 10:45 AM
    Well yes, there are fixes. But thats not the issue.

If I manually enter a new contact, input ph numbers and an e-mail address. It should forever remain a contact ...no.? Well it dont. If I link to that same persons FB, or LI contact info it also has a tendency to lose the ph # and e-mail yet retain the crap from those social sites. Maybe the issue is that one should use the hard coded info and then link their FB/LI accounts to that .vcf....??

Its frustrating no matter how you look at it. But nowhere near enough for me to think about going to the dark side...iOS or Droid.

stk
    I can confirm that it's not much better in iOS! Lol

I got a number linked automatically to a contact totally unrelated person!

But for your problem, when you add a contact, make sure you create at least a local copy before adding a number.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 10:49 AM
    I have my contacts synced with a Microsoft Exchange account and have zero problems. What's more, I don't every have to worry about losing my device or anything since everything is always available in the cloud. I recommend the OP export all contacts to a CSV file and then creating an Outlook.com or Hotmail.com account and them importing contacts there. The contacts sync on BB10 works very well with Microsoft accounts.
    Syncing, saving, backing up, etc w/ outlook.com has NOT solved the issue. That's where I moved my Gmail contacts to thinking Google was the problem. And guess what? Still an issue on outlook.com

The point is once a contact and/or calendar entry is made whether it be in Gmail or outlook or hotmail or yahoo, whatever cloud it is, is NOT guarantee it won't get deleted.

Passport & Z30
    Can't imagine life w/o a BlackBerry
    03-31-15 01:29 PM
    No you are not alone, I have had more then a few disappear as well as calendar entries. At one point I had 5 different entries for a contact and had to all manually link them. Did a massive clean up and made sure I use only the active sync account. But from time to time a new entry will show up under local. Funny thing is when I enter a new contact the default is always local. So stupid.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 04:29 PM
    Sorry to hear. Contacts happens to be one of my favorite parts of the BlackBerry OS. Hated contacts in IOS. I don't use social media either and I use Contact X for back ups and restores when loading leaks. I don't have any problems with contacts unless I allow them to sync with my yahoo account. I keep them on the phone and back up through Contact X to my SD card. Hope someone can help you with the problems you're having....

VZW Z30 STA 100-3 / 10.3.1.2582
    03-31-15 05:17 PM
    Mine are fine now. Thanks to the BB10 contacts application.

All my contacts are "in the Cloud"

I only have 1900 contacts on my Outlook Exchange server (migrated last week after Outlook.com had issues).

600+ LinkedIn contacts, � couple dozen Skype and a couple hundred Twitter.

I got everything cleaned up by Only Syncing and linking the various sources on my Z30

Don't link sources in outlook desktop, nor Windows 8 contacts, nor in LinkedIn etc.

I even routinely delete all local contacts 'cause if I create a contact on the Z30 it'll create one local and one on the exchange server.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    04-01-15 08:37 AM
    What app?? What cloud are you talking about? Cloud as in active sync to my outlook (Hotmail) ? Yes I have had to unlink everything to my contacts and only have the one email linked to it.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    TSY-CB likes this.
    04-01-15 08:57 AM
    What app?? What cloud are you talking about? Cloud as in active sync to my outlook (Hotmail) ? Yes I have had to unlink everything to my contacts and only have the one email linked to it.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry. "App", I mean the built in BB10 contacts.

Cloud, I mean (in my case) Outlook Exchange cloud service. I didn't have problems either with Outlook.com (used to be Hotmail) .

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    04-01-15 09:21 AM
    You are not alone. Happens to me. As well as calendar entries getting deleted.

I had originally created a Gmail acct b/c people said whatever was on the device was getting corrupted during backup and/or restore. Happened on Gmail so I thought it was Google fault. So I moved everything to outlook.com and yesterday noticed a contact was missing and a recurring calendar entry was gone.

Really really really making me angry.
    Hey Moody, long time..........

Anyways, when I switched to 10.3.xx last Dec, an awesomely tragic thing happened, which I call the contact moulinex! Contacts had phone numbers in different continents, some contacts cross-pollinated fields in random fashion, as in person 1 would include person 3's address, and person 2's last name become person 4's business.......a minuscule example of over 2000 contacts. Oh, and another thing, some contacts lost ALL info, but were still there, and...yep, I found over 100 contacts that were phone numbers ONLY!

I have two accounts, both sync'd - outlook exchange for work, & gmail for personal.....so here's the real cherry atop my contact smoothie, this now is the state of BOTH my outlook & gmail contacts list E10

I need to maintain both separately from each other, for obvious reasons, NDA's being the real-world implications. BUT how???

Any ideas, ANYONE?

TS
    09-23-15 07:31 AM
    I use Ultimate Backup app to backup my important data to my SD card, and OneDrive once a month or so. That way, if I have to restore my device, or switch devices, then I just restore my data that way. It has worked fine for me.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    09-23-15 08:18 AM
    I use Ultimate Backup app to backup my important data to my SD card, and OneDrive once a month or so. That way, if I have to restore my device, or switch devices, then I just restore my data that way. It has worked fine for me.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    Not sure how this helps......but I should clarify - BOTH account contact lists need to actively sync'd, though, given my contact woes, I've stayed clear of gmail's calendar

TS

SQC 100-3 | 10.3.2.858
    09-23-15 09:25 AM
    I've had Blackberries for ages. Don't use social media. My Contacts and Calendar have worked perfectly. Never lost a thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 05:01 PM
    This is BB10's ultimate legacy. The crap fest that is the contacts manager.

7.1 worked perfectly. No matter what I do, all it takes is one thing to happen and the contacts are screwed up. No one will ever convince me it's user error and not BlackBerry's fault.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-23-15 05:07 PM
    Contacts failure!!!

Problems with contacts:
    1. Linking system is insane chaos. Automatic linking fails and manual linking is too cumbersome.
    2. Z10 contact is not the main contact.
    3. Linking results in multiple duplicates.
    4. Fields don't propagate across linked contacts
    5. Birthday fields often corrupt.
    6. Birthday fields not linked to calendar with a reminder.
    7. Personal contacts automatically copied to work when using Balance/BES, unless you uncheck the box every time. Cannot set a default new contact save profile.
    8. No way to properly merge contact sets.
    9. No way to properly merge contact fields.
    10. No way to automatically find and merge duplicate contacts that might have slightly different fields.
    11. Contacts search function does not search within notes
    12. I created a new contact with the first name only Daniel. Contacts prompted me to update an existing contact that happened to have a first name Daniel. * This is an example of sloppy implementation. (see #10 above)
    13. If you have balance enabled, and a contact exists on both your personal local contacts and your work, it locks down the contact so you can't share it outside of work. My wife asked me to send her my work address, so I selected my contact(me) and hit "share". BlackBerry wouldn't let me forward my contact to my own wife!!! And I had entered my own contact information prior to enabling balance on my phone. I swear BlackBerry is made up of people who don�t even use their own damn phones!

Solution to contacts problems:
    * Expect that the BB10 contact will be one single file that contains the most complete data possible, not a group of linked contacts

*Assume we want BB10 contacts to be considered the source of truth and that all field level updates will flow into or out of the BB10 contact

* The linking system has got to go. It automatically tries to add links for new contacts. And links and unlinks apparently at random.

* We need screens to control both 1. *Contact Sets such as BB10, LinkedIn, Yahoo, or PC and *2. *a screen to help with field level updates. *The field level updates control how contact data flows into and out of a particular contact. **3. A screen to merge and dedupe existing that intelligently suggests duplicates or like contacts.

* However, will need feeds from other sources that are either 1 or 2 way sync for updates. For example, your Gmail account is 2 way syncing. You can add, delete, or modify contacts in both sets. However, your linkedin contacts will be 1 way syncing. Ex. you cannot modify your linkedin friends' information, only your own.

* changes will propagate out and in based on a hierarchy, or user defined

* merge is used for 2 way contact sets such as Google, however link available but only to allow contact updates to flow through from a unidirectional contact set such as LinkedIn*

* good backup and restore for contacts so can back up to PC without using workaround such as creating a cloud based Outlook account

These are my issues and suggestions for contacts.

Posted via CB10
    marco44 and TSY-CB like this.
    09-23-15 07:47 PM
    wg7 that was most complete. Wish you worked for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 07:53 PM
34 12