Hi everyone

Tried a search here but couldn't find an answer (I must be looking in the wrong place).

I'm a guest at a condo near the GTA. I have iPhone and iPad connected to the WiFi network with no problem.I haven't used my Z30 in a while but fired it up, and the first thing that it said was that it had to update the OS. I think this update was downloaded a while back, though, because I was not connected to any network yet (it's 10.3.1.1784, model STA100-5).

Problem is that the Z30 won't connect to the WiFi network here.

I did a search to see if the (crappy) D-Link DI-524 only accepts two WiFi connections or something, but I don't think that's the issue.

I can't change the SSID or the password here (but I do know how to get into the router). I restarted everything including the router. One additional note - in the router, under DHCP, I can see 3 devices, iPhone, iPad, and my desktop. When I got here I unthinkingly plugged my desktop into the router and not the modem. Even though it's working fine and speedtests are blazing fast, might this be causing a problem?

Connection attempt shows 'Associated with network' at first, but then error message says 'Unable to authenticate against this network'.

Any ideas for getting me connected?
    Last edited by mset; 08-10-15 at 03:52 PM.
    08-10-15 03:35 PM
    If you just updated the OS, I would try to soft reset (restart) and hard reset (hold vol+ and vol- until loading screen appears) the phone. The OS needs some time to settle in.
    mset likes this.
    08-10-15 05:21 PM
    OP, I'm surprised you're not seeing the 10.3.2252 update as all Canadian carriers are pushing it now.

At any rate, try rebooting your router and your phone.

If that doesn't work, use the 2.4GHz band, use wireless-N only, and change your bandwidth to 20MHz.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    mset likes this.
    08-10-15 05:32 PM
    If you just updated the OS, I would try to soft reset (restart) and hard reset (hold vol+ and vol- until loading screen appears) the phone. The OS needs some time to settle in.
    Thanks, trying that now.

OP, I'm surprised you're not seeing the 10.3.2252 update as all Canadian carriers are pushing it now.
    I think this is because the update that occurred when I powered up the phone was downloaded but not installed last time I used the phone which was some months ago. The update was not a current one since there is no network connection on the phone at the moment - it would have no way to see the BBRY servers to check for the latest update.

At any rate, try rebooting your router and your phone.

If that doesn't work, use the 2.4GHz band, use wireless-N only, and change your bandwidth to 20MHz.
    Tried the reboots with no luck.

I will now start the search to figure out how to do the steps you outlined, but if you're around and you can tell me how to do those 3 things, I would really appreciate it. Are these changes that you're suggesting to be made within the router? I believe they are, but that's not something I want to change at this time, mainly because I need the WiFi working on a phone and I don't want to completely lose functionality on the iPhone (it's not my account and I can't call tech support for help if it goes sideways).

Thanks for the responses.
    08-10-15 06:46 PM
    Another thing is this - my iPhone and iPad are pretty stable in their connection to the WiFi... but when I open the WiFi screen on the Z30 (Settings-->Networks and Connections-->WiFi), the WiFi network in this condo appears and disappears frequently. In fact it's mostly not visible - it just pops up then disappears. So for some reason the phone is not seeing the WiFi network in a 'stable' way, or it doesn't seem like it is. There's a nearby network which appears immediately and never disappears. This makes me think my problem has something to do with the router maybe? The phone isn't experiencing a solid connection to the router and therefore the authentication process keeps failing? Is this possible?
    08-10-15 06:50 PM
    Another thing is this - my iPhone and iPad are pretty stable in their connection to the WiFi... but when I open the WiFi screen on the Z30 (Settings-->Networks and Connections-->WiFi), the WiFi network in this condo appears and disappears frequently. In fact it's mostly not visible - it just pops up then disappears. So for some reason the phone is not seeing the WiFi network in a 'stable' way, or it doesn't seem like it is. There's a nearby network which appears immediately and never disappears. This makes me think my problem has something to do with the router maybe? The phone isn't experiencing a solid connection to the router and therefore the authentication process keeps failing? Is this possible?
    Making those changes to your router won't affect the other devices. No worries.

Go to the wireless settings on your router. When you switch to wireless N instead of mixed mode, you should see a setting for bandwidth - auto, 20, or (sometimes) 40MHz. Set to 20.

Also, you should use WPA2 as your security setting, if it's not already. You may have to re-enter your new password in your other devices to connect again.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    mset likes this.
    08-10-15 07:21 PM
    Making those changes to your router won't affect the other devices. No worries.

Go to the wireless settings on your router. When you switch to wireless N instead of mixed mode, you should see a setting for bandwidth - auto, 20, or (sometimes) 40MHz. Set to 20.

Also, you should use WPA2 as your security setting, if it's not already. You may have to re-enter your new password in your other devices to connect again.
    Okay thanks so much. One thing, sorry if this is just me being dense, but you mentioned a new password? I didn't see anything in the steps you outlined about needing a new password? Sorry, maybe you just mean that after making these changes in the router I will have to re-enter the password (i.e. the password for the WiFi network in this condo)?
    08-10-15 07:28 PM
    Okay thanks so much. One thing, sorry if this is just me being dense, but you mentioned a new password? I didn't see anything in the steps you outlined about needing a new password? Sorry, maybe you just mean that after making these changes in the router I will have to re-enter the password (i.e. the password for the WiFi network in this condo)?
    If you change to WPA2 wireless encryption, you will need to enter a new wireless password on the router (unless that's what you are using already), and subsequently, on your devices.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-10-15 07:36 PM
    If you change to WPA2 wireless encryption, you will need to enter a new wireless password on the router (unless that's what you are using already), and subsequently, on your devices.
    Got it, thanks.
    08-10-15 08:05 PM
    Sometimes deleting (forgetting) the network on your phone then doing a reboot before re-entering the particulars may work.

Bring back random taglines!
    mset likes this.
    08-10-15 10:14 PM
    What everyone above said, PLUS...

...The device is *associated*, i.e., can see the network, but the network will not allow the device to connect to it, i.e., *authenticate* to it. This means that somewhere along the line there is a credentials issue.

It�s likely on the router side with SSID, password, MAC (or other filtering), number of devices allowed connection, etc.
    The phone side is just hungry for a connection, any connection. BUT, it can only connect if the network allows it to.

None of my Z30 upgrades have altered my Wi-Fi connectivity. Unless you've knowingly made changes on your device, I don't see that your upgrade would have either.

One more thing. If the desktop isn't facilitating network/Internet access via sharing (very likely it isn't), physically disconnect it then continue troubleshooting your phone's connectivity.
    If all fails, you can always ask your host to reset the router with its default values. If your phone works then, you'll know what values you need to input on your device as you input the router's previously secured values.

Posted via CB10
    Polotis and mset like this.
    08-11-15 09:48 AM
    Sometimes deleting (forgetting) the network on your phone then doing a reboot before re-entering the particulars may work.
    Looked for a way to do this, but couldn't see it. Going to look again now.
    08-12-15 12:41 AM

...The device is *associated*, i.e., can see the network, but the network will not allow the device to connect to it, i.e., *authenticate* to it. This means that somewhere along the line there is a credentials issue.

It’s likely on the router side with SSID, password, MAC (or other filtering), number of devices allowed connection, etc.
    The phone side is just hungry for a connection, any connection. BUT, it can only connect if the network allows it to.

None of my Z30 upgrades have altered my Wi-Fi connectivity. Unless you've knowingly made changes on your device, I don't see that your upgrade would have either.

One more thing. If the desktop isn't facilitating network/Internet access via sharing (very likely it isn't), physically disconnect it then continue troubleshooting your phone's connectivity.
    If all fails, you can always ask your host to reset the router with its default values. If your phone works then, you'll know what values you need to input on your device as you input the router's previously secured values.
    Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm about to try disconnecting the desktop computer. What's weird abut this is again, none of the other devices are having trouble seeing and connecting to the WiFi. In addition, this is the first time I've ever had any sort of issue with the Z30 connecting to WiFi.

This is problematic because the reason I pulled it out is that I'm going to the U.K. next week and wanted to carry an unlocked phone in case I could grab a SIM over there. If I can't grab the SIM, it has to be able to connect to WiFi.
    08-12-15 12:44 AM
    Looked for a way to do this, but couldn't see it. Going to look again now.

Open up the wifi screen. Down below is a "saved networks" tab. Click (there will be delete/trash option) or long press the SSID (there will be an edit/delete option).
    Try editing the SSID first. There is a "band type" you can play with and also a IPV6 you might enable.
    Can you access some free wifi at a coffee shop or something? Maybe you can update to the
    10.3.2252 version.
    mset likes this.
    08-12-15 06:45 AM
    Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm about to try disconnecting the desktop computer. What's weird abut this is again, none of the other devices are having trouble seeing and connecting to the WiFi. In addition, this is the first time I've ever had any sort of issue with the Z30 connecting to WiFi.
    The suggested reason for disconnecting the desktop? If the router has a restriction on the number of devices allowed to connect, then removing the desktop gives you room for another device on your network - wired or wireless.

And there you go; "first time" issue. Re-refer to my original post. Check and double-check the router settings. I think that's where you'll find your cause issue and resolution.

One more thing: Try setting up your Z30 with static IP. That's also saved me from going insane connecting devices to networks!
    It's simple, but ask and someone in here can outline the steps if you need help.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    mset likes this.
    08-12-15 10:04 AM
    Open up the wifi screen. Down below is a "saved networks" tab. Click (there will be delete/trash option) or long press the SSID (there will be an edit/delete option).
    Try editing the SSID first. There is a "band type" you can play with and also a IPV6 you might enable.
    Can you access some free wifi at a coffee shop or something? Maybe you can update to the
    10.3.2252 version.
    Yes, I realized that the network doesn't appear in 'Saved Networks' because the phone has never actually connected to this network. I deleted all the existing netwrks anyway.
    08-13-15 12:29 AM
    The suggested reason for disconnecting the desktop? If the router has a restriction on the number of devices allowed to connect, then removing the desktop gives you room for another device on your network - wired or wireless.

And there you go; "first time" issue. Re-refer to my original post. Check and double-check the router settings. I think that's where you'll find your cause issue and resolution.

One more thing: Try setting up your Z30 with static IP. That's also saved me from going insane connecting devices to networks!
    It's simple, but ask and someone in here can outline the steps if you need help.
    I took the phone to my parents' place and it connected to the WiFi network in 3 seconds. So clearly you're right, it's a router issue here. I didn't get a chance to test here with the desktop unplugged and the phone is still at my parents' place because it was updating itself to the OS version Gooseberry mentioned above and I had to leave but didn't want to take it away from a working WiFi connection just in case it needed the connection for further update work.

In any case I will be leaving here soon enough. If I run into these problems again I will refer to this thread. I will definitely try the connection with the desktop unplugged and report back. Thanks for all the responses.
    08-13-15 12:33 AM
    I took the phone to my parents' place and it connected to the WiFi network in 3 seconds. So clearly you're right, it's a router issue here. I didn't get a chance to test here with the desktop unplugged and the phone is still at my parents' place because it was updating itself to the OS version Gooseberry mentioned above and I had to leave but didn't want to take it away from a working WiFi connection just in case it needed the connection for further update work.

In any case I will be leaving here soon enough. If I run into these problems again I will refer to this thread. I will definitely try the connection with the desktop unplugged and report back. Thanks for all the responses.
    I had a Netgear access point at work that my Passport could not connect to when literally everything else, Android, Windows CE inventory scanners, laptops etc. connected without issue.

Threw away the access point. New one works fine. Passport sees it fine.

These things are not perfect though we assume they should always work.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    mset likes this.
    08-13-15 01:08 AM
    Just a "dumb" question... is your network/router "overloaded"... I mean, some home networks allow only the connection of 5-6 devices... when I run my PS3, my tablet, my phone(s), the network is "saturated" so that guests can't use my home Wi-Fi.... try to disconnect any other device and restart the wi-fi on your Z, i.e. switch from on to off then on again, because once not found, the device does not "frequently" check another time if the network is available.

In the case you already did it, try to get the option "TK/IP" or "WPA"/"WPA2" key right... I often have this "problem" when I connect new devices by setting them up the first time.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    mset likes this.
    08-13-15 01:10 AM
    I'm temporarily using my old Z10 while I'm waiting for a new Z30 screen. I can tell you this. I can barely use WiFi on my Z30. It's so slow that it's unreal. I have unlimited data so I keep the WiFi off on my Z30. But on the Z10 downloads are fine.

Just like the camera. Suppose to be the same camera but my Z10 takes way better pictures.

Z10STL100-3 /10.3.1.2576 / T-Mobile USA
    mset likes this.
    08-13-15 03:39 AM
    Download and use an app called wifi analyzer (android app). It will give you a channel wise picture of which wifi's your phone can catch. You say the phone can always catch one wifi network. It might be possible that, the visible network is on the same channel as the yours which might be effecting your phone's ability to catch your network.
    Off chance it might work.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and mset like this.
    08-13-15 03:50 AM
    Just a "dumb" question... is your network/router "overloaded"... try to disconnect any other device and restart the wi-fi on your Z, i.e. switch from on to off then on again,
    No that's not a dumb question. What will sound dumb is this - I am scared to disconnect my devices from this network because I need them working while I'm here and I'm afraid that something is going on with the router that will prevent them from connecting again. I know this is very unlikely. Another issue is that this is not my place so I can't call for tech support if something goes wrong. Same reason I'm not playing around too much with the router settings.
    I'm temporarily using my old Z10 while I'm waiting for a new Z30 screen. I can tell you this. I can barely use WiFi on my Z30. It's so slow that it's unreal.
    Hmmm, that's strange. I used the Z30 for about a year, travelling quite a bit, and I never had any issues with WiFi connectivity until now. You must have a hardware issue?
    Download and use an app called wifi analyzer (android app). It will give you a channel wise picture of which wifi's your phone can catch. You say the phone can always catch one wifi network. It might be possible that, the visible network is on the same channel as the yours which might be effecting your phone's ability to catch your network.
    Okay, I'll try that tomorrow when I get the phone back. Thanks.
    Last edited by mset; 08-13-15 at 03:40 PM.
    08-13-15 10:13 AM
    Another anomaly I have seen -- I had an older Linksys router years ago that would crash each time I connected my Android phone to the WiFi. All my other devices -- laptop, BlackBerrys -- worked fine with it. Replaced the router and had no more issues, even with the same Android phone (A Moto RAZR) .

Again, sometimes these things simply do not work properly with everything under the sun. And not all devices use the WiFi identically. And you'll never be able to actually find the real issue. Much less fix it.

Sometimes you just have to swap the hardware and try something else.
    08-13-15 06:43 PM
    First off I know this is an old thread, but it's an ongoing issue it seems. I have a Z10 that's been running the same OS release 10.3.2.2514 for some time now. A white listed OS From Tmobile so I can use wifi calling. Just within the past week or so I can't connect to any wifi network except for my house and no farther the 5' away from the router. I get a Can't authenticate error. There's been no update to the router, haven't changed anything on my Z10 and can't find any solutions online anywhere. I was thinking maybe a wifi antenna issue, chip issue, but the available network screen show mine plus all surrounding networks. It just won't connect. Any ideas?
    Just a bit more info..... I went to my local Home Depot where I could always connect and no go. And of course after a few times of not being able to connect, the network get disabled. I have also tried erasing all my save networks and I reloaded the OS. Had the wifi issue on reload before restoring anything.
    Last edited by jelp2; 07-29-16 at 01:15 PM.
    07-27-16 09:08 PM