I have been in the UK, visiting from our home in Canada, for a couple of weeks now. My main phone is my Passport, but ai also have a Z30 STA100-5 (which is the North American version) in which I keep a separate UK SIM. The phone has been working fine till today, when I switched off the Wi-Fi (in order to use an app from my phone company here which has to go through the data plan). I was then unable to switch the Wi-Fi back on.

The slider control would not stay "on", and the phone will not locate any wi-fi networks. Because the phone was pretty close to factory spec, I decided to do a reset to factory spec, using Link. Now the wifi slider stays on, but the phone cannot locate any wifi networks, including the one coming from the router on the other side of my desk! It just carries on "hunting" and will not find any wifi networks at all.

I've tried a manual addition of the known network, and when I press "connect", the screen tells me that wifi is turned off and offers me a button to turn it on. When I hit that button, I get the usual "Trying to connect, Attempt 1 of 3" box, but that's all. It jyust stays there. Software release is 10.3.2.2168, OS version is 10.3.2.2252, radio is 2253.

Could there be a hardware fault? I just tried another wipe and restore and the situation is the same. Is it possible that there's an issue with the newly-installed wifi radio software given that I'm in the UK and this is a Canadian/US phone? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    08-19-15 04:05 AM
    I'm sorry for what you're facing with your phone. That's pretty rare to happen but your phone's wifi chipset is somehow dead. I don't see an easy way of even technical way to recover that ever again.

I had a Z30 that accidentally fell off my hand on together with other stuffs over it resulting in GPS malfunctioning. Unfortunately I could barely use the GPS outside with open sky, not even in the car because it lost its precision.

That said, I would suggest you replace your phone or if you know a very experienced technical guy with knowledge on circuits try to replace the wifi chipset or even check its bonds. I don't know if it worth the job.
    08-20-15 12:12 AM