Please search BlackBerry.com/btsc for 10.3.1 update screen blank KB article!! It does that on its own! This may not have completed and this update by far the very worst in BlackBerry's history I'm siding with all potential issues with the user on this one.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry - just a bit off topic - but this is by far - seriously well by far, not the worst OS update. If you had not lived through early Storm I and Storm II updates, you might not know. But trust me, I've been on BB for a long time and had updates from OS3 - through OS 7.1 and virtually everything that OS 10 has had to offer, and the 10.3.1 OSes have been pretty bad with bugs, (Z30 blank screen and spontaneous re-boot wipes for other devices as well as a handful of assorted more minor bugs), but they do not compare with what BB 9500/9550 owners went through.
    03-25-15 04:01 PM
    Why? Cause these posts are realistic and put the blame on the people and not on everybody else?

Posted via CB10
    Phone did an automatic update. User did not initiate. Seriously people ought to learn to read and understand. 90% of smartphone users have never backed up their phone or SD card. Most would not know how. If it was a new device, and it sounds like it was, user would not have the first clue how to run a back-up or the importance of same.

If the phone was lost or stolen, the user might want to bear some burden for not backing up, but, in this case, a spontaneous and unrequested update starting and then not completing, resulting in a wiped device is a BB and carrier issue. Some of these people should go to legal forums where people get in trouble - bad, costly trouble all the time doing things that most of my colleagues would have been able to steer them away from. But we are intelligent enough to know that no one knows everything, and most of us, myself included know very little about most things, especially those things that generally require you to make a mistake before you learn.
    03-25-15 04:10 PM
    after it downloads the update it just doesnt start installing it you have to accept to restart the phone and update looks like the op accepted these terms and while in the middle of updating did something and screwed everything up also looks like op is full of it as he isnt responding to anything he must be off life support
    03-25-15 04:15 PM
    OP.... Ask Rogers to cancel the contract if you want out, it will cost roughly $275 + tax to end the contract, plus what you owe on your bill.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 05:03 PM
    Unlike the OP, I actually have to say that thanks to my BB10 devices I've become more tech savvy, so I love them. Back in the Legacy devices era, I had no idea what backups were, nor how to use the Desktop Manager software that came on the accompanying CD. When I had my 8520 (2009-2010) I think I only did one backup (automatically done by DM), but used an SD card always to keep my pics, videos and music (from the days of my Motorola V3 up to this day).

I can sympathise with OP's situation, it can be frustrating to lose your data. But rather than just "hate and rant", I'd suggest he tries some of the stuff previously recommended to him. Not only that, perhaps it's a unique opportunity for him to become a bit more tech savvy. OP, wouldn't you like to find out what was the problem? Perhaps solve it and avoid it in the future? Research a bit, and you might actually get something positive out of this.

I'm not an advanced BB10 user, perhaps an intermediate one, but everyday I'm open to learning new stuff. I have learned to keep at least two backups of all my stuff and never rely on one sole device (computer or phone) to be flawless. I have Dropbox for work related stuff, OneDrive for personal things and Google Drive for other various stuff. All the data on these cloud services has a physical backup on my 500 GB external hard drive.

And yes, doing regular backups is a very safe bet when it comes to any tech device these days. Most are very reliable, but you never know if something could go wrong. That being said, I've updated through Sachesi my Z30 to 10.3.1 and my Passport is currently in the process. My carrier has not released the update and both my phones are carrier purchased. But I wanted to have my browsers safe from the Freak attack, so I did some research and can now update my phones as I desire. My parents and gf are using a BB10, and anytime they have doubts about something, they ask me. If I wasn't curious enough, nor had I messed up in the past, I wouldn't be able to be of any help at all today.

Posted via the awesome power of the Z30!
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-25-15 05:17 PM
    I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 07:17 PM
    I hate the Z30 as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 08:16 PM
    Does nobody notice that the OP seems to be trolling!? 3 pages of posts and not ONE response! An irreplaceable picture!? After 1 day!? Crying for 24 hours!? I'm calling bs

Via The BlackBerry Z30 experience!
    koolaje and revtech like this.
    03-25-15 09:38 PM
    I've never had an update freeze and wipe my phone. I call BS especially since they haven't returned to their own topic. Why fuel the trolls?
    03-26-15 09:31 AM
    03-26-15 09:40 AM
    In the digital age, backup is crucial!

I have backups of my backups!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 09:41 AM
    I can tell you exactly why I hate it. This presumptuous piece of garbage phone tried to do an automatic software update on Saturday evening and it crashed in the middle of it and wiped out everything on my phone. Irreplaceable pictures of me and my mother gone just like that. I have been crying for the last 24 hours. It was a brand new phone, so no I had not even had time to back anything up. Now I am stuck in a 2 year contract with Rogers using a phone that I don't even want to look at anymore let alone make a phone call on. What was Roger's advice? Try to sell the phone on Kijiji or to a friend or family member and then buy a new phone from us. How is this right? How can a company make such a crappy product and stay in business? Shame on me for trying to support a Canadian company.
    The Z30 is an amazing device. One of the best full touch phones on the market today. Never have Software updates set to Auto. NEVER. It sounds to me this was a user error and not the actual device. Plus it won't perform updates unless its connected to Wifi. Had you had a Flash Storage card on the phone, you would never have lost any pictures. I assume you didn't back up your device in the cloud or on your PC?

I've never had an update freeze and wipe my phone. I call BS especially since they haven't returned to their own topic. Why fuel the trolls?
    Fully Agree. The only way your phone gets wiped is if you enter the WRONG PASSWORD more than 10 times. BlackBerry Z30 is an amazing device. The OP saying its crap is absolutely ridiculous.
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-26-15 01:47 PM
    1. If you don't turn off "automatic update" Your phone will update itself.
    2. It could happen.

Posted via CB10
    What's with all the miss-information? Regardless if you have Auto Update enabled or not, the device may Download the update, but it will NOT update without your Consent. And it will not download unless connected to WIFI.
    It seems to me the OP is somewhat Trolling. Because this has nothing to do with the device nor the software update.
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-26-15 01:56 PM
    Sorry - just a bit off topic - but this is by far - seriously well by far, not the worst OS update. If you had not lived through early Storm I and Storm II updates, you might not know. But trust me, I've been on BB for a long time and had updates from OS3 - through OS 7.1 and virtually everything that OS 10 has had to offer, and the 10.3.1 OSes have been pretty bad with bugs, (Z30 blank screen and spontaneous re-boot wipes for other devices as well as a handful of assorted more minor bugs), but they do not compare with what BB 9500/9550 owners went through.
    You're forgotting that the Storm I and Storm II debuted after OS 4 not BBOS3. I know because I've been around using BB's for that long.

BlackBerry� Storm™ 9530 smartphone
    Last Modified: 12-15-2011
    BlackBerry� Device Software version 4.7

Features implemented in the BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 specifically for the BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series smartphones
    12-14-2011

Yet I'll agree the Storm models where very unique compared to everything BB was doing at that time.
    03-26-15 06:43 PM
    Phone did an automatic update. User did not initiate. Seriously people ought to learn to read and understand. 90% of smartphone users have never backed up their phone or SD card. Most would not know how. If it was a new device, and it sounds like it was, user would not have the first clue how to run a back-up or the importance of same.

If the phone was lost or stolen, the user might want to bear some burden for not backing up, but, in this case, a spontaneous and unrequested update starting and then not completing, resulting in a wiped device is a BB and carrier issue. Some of these people should go to legal forums where people get in trouble - bad, costly trouble all the time doing things that most of my colleagues would have been able to steer them away from. But we are intelligent enough to know that no one knows everything, and most of us, myself included know very little about most things, especially those things that generally require you to make a mistake before you learn.
    The response above is the most sensible one on this thread!

The amount of apologists for Blackberry is astounding! And you wonder why BB is far & away in last place in the platform/smartphone wars. Blackberry SCREWED up the release of 10.3.xx.xxx on the Z30. It's why carriers such as Verizon has put a hold on the update. It's why there is a post of a problem with the OS update everyday in this forum. It's why BB World App reviews are full of complaints that apps (BB native apps mind you) have stopped working since the update.

Instead of holding Blackberry's feet to the fire and demanding they get it right we get apologists and excuses. Seriously? Screwing up a major OS release will win over people to this platform?

Blackberry is only lucky to this point: it is so low in platform market-share that it did not generate any mainstream industry press. Had this been Apple or Android it would made the NY Times front page. Good thing they all thought BB is dead.

Before you flame me, I spent US $500 (no contract) for a Verizon Z30. I did my research first before choosing this platform. I didn't like all the garbage bloatware on Androids. I bought an SD card before I even received the phone. So everything is backed up in various places. But most people are not aware of the automatic updates being enabled.

But blaming the user is utter BULLCRAP!!! It's disgusting. This should not happen to any OS update. Not in 2015, i.e., smartphones already have a large degree of maturity. There's no place for a major screw up like this in 2015. App bugs, ok, it happens. May even have a bendable smartphone, people laugh about it. But screwing users by screwing up their phones? ... Folks, this is one more nail in coffin of Blackberry.

My contract ends in summer of 2016. Then I'm a free agent; free to check out any platform that will help me get the job done. I'm not married to this platform. The S6, from what I hear will be released without a lot of bloatware. That got my attention. If BB keeps this up along with support from their enablers here, I see this platform dead in the consumer market by the end of this decade. Heck, come to think of it, what business would buy into a platform that destroys hardware during a routine OS update.
    KR2013, FF22, waseemrao and 1 others like this.
    03-26-15 10:07 PM
    Heck, come to think of it, what business would buy into a platform that destroys hardware during a routine OS update?
    That's my biggest concern of all.
    03-26-15 10:16 PM
    You're forgotting that the Storm I and Storm II debuted after OS 4 not BBOS3. I know because I've been around using BB's for that long.

BlackBerry� Storm™ 9530 smartphone
    Last Modified: 12-15-2011
    BlackBerry� Device Software version 4.7

Features implemented in the BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 specifically for the BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series smartphones
    12-14-2011

Yet I'll agree the Storm models where very unique compared to everything BB was doing at that time.
    Huh? I'm not forgetting - I never said anything like 9500 was on OS3, or 4 or 5. Just that I've been updating since then. Also, the point of my post wasn't the uniqueness of the devices, but the absolute horridity (my own new word) of the early updates as compared to the BB10.3 updates.
    03-27-15 02:47 PM
    What's with all the miss-information? Regardless if you have Auto Update enabled or not, the device may Download the update, but it will NOT update without your Consent. And it will not download unless connected to WIFI.
    It seems to me the OP is somewhat Trolling. Because this has nothing to do with the device nor the software update.
    Actually, if automatic updates are turned off, it can and will download AND install without your knowledge. There's another thread I started about that exact thing happening to me (and a few others who chimed in). If BlackBerry dubs it a Mandatory Update, they can push it through, with an auto restart occurring in 48 hours. I have a twitter conversation with BlackBerry Help about this. Suffice to say, they were of no help.

But I doubt this is the case here, as it was a newly purchased phone...

In any event, I have my photos auto upload to Live.com and videos to Box.com using the apps built into the phone. It happens almost instantly (although you have to be careful if you don't have a data connection, because they may not upload at a later time).

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 07:45 PM
    Phone did an automatic update. User did not initiate. Seriously people ought to learn to read and understand.
    The operating system is not designed to update itself. Even if the software update is fully downloaded onto the device and the phone crashes, it will not initiate the installation on restart. It requires the user to manually restart on prompt. It displays the recommendation to save any unsaved work and to keep the device charged if the battery is below twenty percent. It also warns against turning off your device during installation. The automatic update feature does not include automatic installation. Automatic updates simply download the update to the phone.

If the phone crashes during installation, that is another case and it is unfortunate. However, this can happen to any smartphone, not just BlackBerry. In the future, the user should utilize BlackBerry Link and backup their content. With a Wi-Fi connection or USB cord, BlackBerry Link can upload your photos instantly unto your computer. The original poster to this thread might have the photos archived on his/her computer if they've been using BlackBerry Link.

Why do I hate my Blackberry Z30?-img_20150328_011503_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    koolaje likes this.
    03-28-15 10:35 AM
    In my country we have a saying:

A fool throws a stone in the middle of a lake and 10 smart people struggle to get it out.
    It didn't cross your mind for a second that OP's story is 100% bull**** and he might be laughing at you right now?
    Why do you try to find a solution to a problem that never existed?
    A troll created an account for a single post, simple as that.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 01:20 PM
    [QUOTE=6stringriffs;11507222]

Before you flame me, I spent US $500 (no contract) for a Verizon Z30.

My contract ends in summer of 2016. Then I'm a free agent;

Hey Gstringrips...err sorry 6stringriffs...what contract ends in summer of 2016?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 01:49 PM
    It's called a 2 year contract. A standard in the United States for those choosing that option instead of no contract phones. Verizon has been good to me and I get a corporate discount from my employer. Verizon also has the most comprehensive geographic coverage which comes in handy if you've ever been out in the western mountain states of the U.S. And there are Verizon repeaters in most office buildings so that I don't lose signal deep in the bowels of a concrete building.

The problems with the 3.1 upgrade on Z-30 are legitimate and NOT the fault of the owners. It is the fault of BB. So do us a favor and stop being a childish infantile you're revealing yourself to be and go back to playing video games while hiding in the bedroom of your mommy's house.

Some of us have a real concern about the usability of this phone that shouldn't have to involve looking at competing platforms to provide our solutions. Yea, believe it or not, some of us actually work for a living and have a real social life outside of typing on forums.
    Last edited by 6stringriffs; 03-28-15 at 02:54 PM.
    03-28-15 02:07 PM
    Mmm, I think you typed half the words on this entire thread

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 02:22 PM
    It's the modern age, my Z30 backs up to Dropbox and to my pc whenever I connect to wi-fi it has done so since day 1.

Perfect and bug free, best phone I have owned.

Z30STA100-6/10.3.1.2558

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    03-28-15 03:54 PM
    Fort those of you still claiming that a forced auto update AND restart is impossible, see the attached screen shot. The only thing not allowing this is the fact that my phone doesn't have enough space left on it for OTA update. Why do I hate my Blackberry Z30?-img_20150316_180344.png

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and koolaje like this.
    03-29-15 10:49 AM
86 1234