I had one black Z30 myself, and just recently bought 3 more (2 black and 1 white) for friends/family from the CrackBerry Store.

All of them are great except the white Z30. So this is mostly to find out if anyone else has the same problem as this white Z30.

The top power/lock button gets stuck when the back plate case is on. I've tried the normal white one that it comes with, I've tried the flip case, and I've also tried the black back case as well. No difference.

The button goes down, it doesn't come back up, and the phone powers off. If I take the casing off, the button works fine and does not stick.

When I put the white phone without its case up back-to-back with a black phone, the button on the white phone seems like it's recessed in by 1mm. It's very slight (the buttons feel the same when pressed), but it's probably what's causing the issue. Is this a defect or something "normal" for white Z30s?

Edit: Just to clarify, by "case" I mean the removable back plate of the phone. I don't know what to call it...
    Last edited by xtremesniper; 05-07-15 at 10:47 AM.
    05-07-15 09:39 AM
    the white ones must be slightly larger and thus causing the sticking issue. You will have to use a different case I'm thinking.
    05-07-15 10:24 AM
    If it is getting stuck on the case, try filing down the opening of the case a little bit. I had to do this with my wife's black Z30 when it had the Leather flip case on. The button would stick and send it into an endless power loop. I just took a simple nail file and filed down the opening a little bit at a time until the button no longer got stuck. Not sure what case you're having issues with, but I'm sure this solution won't hurt if it doesn't help.
    Bonnie Bonzai and FF22 like this.
    05-07-15 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify, by "case" I mean the removable back plate of the phone. I don't know what to call it... It sticks even with the one that ships with the phone.

I was thinking about the possibility of filing it down but if it's happening with every back plate that I try on, then it's obviously something funky with the phone itself. I guess I can either live with it and hope it doesn't sink in any further, or return it as defected and hope the replacement doesn't have the same (or any other) issue.

Part of the reason why I started a thread is to ask for input from if anyone else has had the same issue, because if so then it makes the likelihood of a defect-free replacement even less likely.

If it is getting stuck on the case, try filing down the opening of the case a little bit. I had to do this with my wife's black Z30 when it had the Leather flip case on. The button would stick and send it into an endless power loop. I just took a simple nail file and filed down the opening a little bit at a time until the button no longer got stuck. Not sure what case you're having issues with, but I'm sure this solution won't hurt if it doesn't help.
    Sounds like a similar issue, though with a black Z30. So the colour might not matter. If it means anything, all 3 of the new Z30s I ordered are made in Mexico 6. My older Z30 is Mexico 5.
    05-07-15 10:46 AM
    Brought a white z30 from CrackBerry myself and also incurred the problem of the sticky power button. Two minutes with a small file and it was history.

Very pleased with this phone; at $250 Cdn it's a steal.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    05-07-15 03:19 PM
    loose the case and show off that beauty
    05-07-15 03:26 PM
    If you don't have any intent to exchange it, I would open the phone up and take a look myself... It's a very easy phone to break down
    05-07-15 04:08 PM
    Brought a white z30 from CrackBerry myself and also incurred the problem of the sticky power button. Two minutes with a small file and it was history.

Very pleased with this phone; at $250 Cdn it's a steal.
    This is mostly what I'm concerned about. Even though I'm within the 30 day defected exchange window, I don't want to go through the hassle only to end up with the same problem again.

loose the case and show off that beauty
    Unfortunately I can't because the case I'm referring to is the actual back plate of the phone itself. Sorry, I didn't really know what to call it.

If you don't have any intent to exchange it, I would open the phone up and take a look myself... It's a very easy phone to break down
    With the back plate removed, the button is surprisingly exposed. I'm not sure what I'd gain from opening up the phone but in either case I would only do that after the 1 year warranty is up.
    05-08-15 08:12 AM
    You are not the first to notice this. The fix you will find on other threads in the forums is to trim a tiny bit off the back plate so it doesn't foul the button. Not a big or difficult issue :-)

It's not very common, but just a few of the Z30 owners have reported it.
    05-08-15 08:24 AM
    You are not the first to notice this. The fix you will find on other threads in the forums is to trim a tiny bit off the back plate so it doesn't foul the button. Not a big or difficult issue :-)

It's not very common, but just a few of the Z30 owners have reported it.
    Thanks, I suppose I will give it a shot. I just hope the issue doesn't get worse over time.
    05-09-15 01:30 PM
    Just as an update, I have realized now that with some more testing with one of the black Z30s, I can reproduce the same issue while using the flip case.

I honestly think there is a defect in how the lock buttons are made at Mexico 6. I just put my Mexico 5 black Z30 in a flip case and it doesn't have any issues. The margin for error is very slim, so I can see how this might be happening... but it's unfortunate.

For those who filed down their cases to make more room for the button, how did you do it? I can't think of an elegant way to do it without either taking too much off or making it look terrible.
    nick13b likes this.
    05-15-15 10:16 AM
    Get yourself a small file, preferably one with a beveled surface and gingerly abrade the rear plate's cut out bounding the power switch. I found that, on my Z30, the power switch was getting caught on the rounded corners and so directed my efforts on the corresponding areas of the rear plate's cut out.

Please refer to the attached photo. Close scrutiny will reveal where I slipped with the file. The plastic plate is soft; it took me all of a minute to finish the job.

White Z30 power button gets stuck with case on-img_20150515_214606159.jpg
    FF22, ajakubin and xtremesniper like this.
    05-15-15 08:55 PM
    Thanks for that! I will give it a try today and report back on how it goes.
    05-16-15 09:33 AM
    I did an identical filing job on my wife's white Z30. One minute. Problem gone.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-16-15 01:41 PM
    Can confirm that with a file, we filed down a bit of the corners and a bit of the outer edge, and now the button does not stick. Did that to the stock back plate and the flip case.

Thanks again for the tips.
    05-18-15 10:02 PM