REALITY CHECK

The Z30 is not going to compete - doesn't have a shot at this point. We are talking about BlackBerry guys... who here really believe that we will see anything different from what they ALWAYS do. I'm not even sure how much carrier support they will be able to count on - most likely the Z30 is going to be a "special" order item only.

What is sad is I think the same 2 million people that bought the Z10, that later went out and bought the Q10 are the only ones that will buy the Z30... so while BB might have sold 6 million BB10 devices, they only added 2 million BB10 customers (who were already BBOS customers).
    I'd like to say your wrong but... to add to your reality check...

The WORLD was watching Blackberry (kinda) when it launched the Z10 (media/blogs/users dying for upgrades etc), it was the handset that was going to bring us BB10, the saviour, all marketing was based around the Z10, the Z10 had the most support and backing from Blackberry, its the first child.

The Z10 fell flat on its face, sold a couple of million and went back to bed.

The Z30 is a slightly bigger Z10, the world has moved on, its "just another" BB device, probably won't have the do or die marketing effort the Z10 had (I repeat, marketing was lame even for that).

I've yet to read a SINGLE post on reasons WHY the Z30 will compete, in theory I could understand WHY the Q10 MAY succeed (it didn't), but on paper, I could see the logic, Z30? Not so much.
    09-13-13 02:28 PM
    In 3 letters: app

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 03:15 PM
    I agree - marketing, but also Instagram, the non-negotiable for the younger crowd. Without the popular apps....well, you remember the PlayBook...

Posted by Z10
    09-13-13 03:25 PM
    If there was no app gap between BB10 and iOS, then the Z30 would compete with iPhone 5 capably: it's got a higher resolution screen, a larger screen, a fast processor, a sublime OS... but without apps, it's a niche market device where any iPhone is a mass-market device. So, what the Z30 needs is what BB10 needs: close the app gap.... oh, then tell the entire WORLD that the app gap is closed.

They need to pay "Big Bang Theory" script writers to write in that Sheldon uses a BB10 device and Penny uses an iPhone and have them battle a bit. Have Penny say things like "I thought it was only available in Europe" and "Don't I need to have a special plan?" etc. and Sheldon can act like his usual know-it-all self and discount those rumours. I wonder if BBT would accept 2 million dollars to do that? It would pay the production costs for the entire episode.
    I'd watch this episode
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    09-13-13 04:45 PM
    To be released soon, the os and phone is already better, just need public to wake up and see for themselves!

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 05:07 PM
    The iphone 5s has a great tri core GPU.

I believe even the rumored specs points to the z30 having a quad core. The first smart phone to have one.

The z30 would need exclusive games or content specially developed using z30 hardware.

I am also hoping it will include a super secret killer feature. One we haven't discovered yet.

Posted via CB10
    Will all due respect, I think you may be slightly misinformed. The Z30 will be using the Adreno 320. It's a very common GPU.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 11:16 AM
    Though the 5s will be running a 64-bit OS, which looks cool to android spec-chasers. Hell, sounds cool to me.
    64 bit OS on a phone is useless now :/

In order to compete with the S4 and 5S, the Z30 needs apps. That's all. If BlackBerry can somehow come out with a way to expedite the sideloading process even further, it doesn't need a thing especially if the rumors about upgrading the camera are true. Heck the Z10 would become competition then.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 11:22 AM
    64 bit OS on a phone is useless now :/

In order to compete with the S4 and 5S, the Z30 needs apps. That's all. If BlackBerry can somehow come out with a way to expedite the sideloading process even further, it doesn't need a thing especially if the rumors about upgrading the camera are true. Heck the Z10 would become competition then.

Posted via CB10
    Most people don't want the hassle of sideloading apps. If they have a choice between getting a phone and then having to hook it up to their computer and then loading them onto their phone or just getting a phone with the apps they want already in the app store most people are going to go with the later.

What BlackBerry needs to do is keep trying everything they can to get developers to make for port apps for BB10.

Sent from my Q10
    09-17-13 01:13 PM
    I don't have anything against the Z30. From what we have seen it is a OK device that will fill the not quite a tablet niche. But a competitor it isn't.

The problem is the platform - or the lack of a platform. The main reason no one is buying BB10 devices isn't the lack of marketing, it isn't the lack of top of the line hardware, it isn't the lack of a stable OS. It IS the lack of the basic apps that people use every day. Ask you iOS or Android friends (if you have any) what apps they use the most - then look at BB10 and see if those apps are there. In most cases they won't be, unless you are into sideloading (soon most likely tokens and sideloading). The reason I'm negative on BB is they have had two years to work with developers to get apps on the PlayBook and then to BB10... they failed miserably.
    09-17-13 01:35 PM
    Most people don't want the hassle of sideloading apps. If they have a choice between getting a phone and then having to hook it up to their computer and then loading them onto their phone or just getting a phone with the apps they want already in the app store most people are going to go with the later.

What BlackBerry needs to do is keep trying everything they can to get developers to make for port apps for BB10.

Sent from my Q10
    Agreed.

What I meant by expedite is that they should create an app that does all of that stuff automatically behind the scenes. The app should also search Android bars/apis. A computer shouldn't be necessary. Essentially the end user would be able to search two different app stores. It can't get much simpler than that. Meanwhile, BlackBerry World could continue to grow under the radar
    09-17-13 01:37 PM
    Agreed.

What I meant by expedite is that they should create an app that does all of that stuff automatically behind the scenes. The app should also search Android bars/apis. A computer shouldn't be necessary. Essentially the end user would be able to search two different app stores. It can't get much simpler than that. Meanwhile, BlackBerry World could continue to grow under the radar
    The problem with that is that they would be encouraging people to port apps instead of just allowing people to do so. If a developer wants to port over an Android app to BlackBerry World that one thing. If someone wants to take an Android app, use tools given out by BlackBerry and port that app without the app providers permission, then that becomes a tricky matter. It's one thing to allow something to happen it's another thing to help it happen.

Sent from my Q10
    09-17-13 01:46 PM
    What I meant by expedite is that they should create an app that does all of that stuff automatically behind the scenes. The app should also search Android bars/apis. A computer shouldn't be necessary. Essentially the end user would be able to search two different app stores.
    That sounds like it would be essentially circumventing the terms of the use of Google Play? Google has specific rules about which devices can access and use their app store.

I think one big thing the Z30 needs is a realistic day 1 price. It seems BlackBerry has gotten into a habit of overpricing devices, getting the true believers to buy at that inflated price, and then letting the price fall a few weeks later. I understand that's a nice little price optimization strategy, but they just can't afford to do that again in their condition. I think they need a win more than they need to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the early adopter crowd.
    LWKING likes this.
    09-17-13 02:23 PM
    Very true. Maybe it's time for BlackBerry to start rewarding their devoted client base by launching new devices to market with a low introductory price for a short period. Let's say the Z30 comes out at a cost of $50-$99 on a 2 year contract and $399 outright for the initial 2 weeks of release. Would you jump on that? I sure would! And then the trickle effect of showing off the device. People asking how it is, how it performs. Nothing better than word of mouth positivity and actual hands on reviews. At that point, all the device has to do to succeed is perform as advertised.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-17-13 04:10 PM
63 123