I understand the part of not being tied to one company...but what other benefits are there?

Right now I'm on an unlimited $65 plan, which was a get this phone, and this contract....so now that I have an unlocked phone and contract has expired, shouldn't I get a cheaper rate having my own device??... and not on the contract format?..

So my question is, what is the avg. Mobile bill for unlocked, owned devices, and what's the benefits of unlocked

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 02:49 PM
    Having an unlocked phone does not mean that your mobile bill is going to be cheaper because the mobile bill reflects on the service that you are receiving. Now that you do have an unlocked phone you are able to travel internationally and use their SIM card with your phone. If you do use your SIM card internationally, your mobile bill will rack up a lot if you use it unless you have a plan that supports international calling.
    06-05-15 03:22 PM
    OK, I'm just thinking when you get a phone for $0, and sign a 2 or 3 year contract, aren't you indirectly still paying for it, although hidden in your contract?...

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 03:27 PM
    It's cheaper in that you can shop around networks for the best deal..

Check Out TechCraze
    06-05-15 03:28 PM
    Basically everything above. You are free from contract. You get updates first. Your plan should be cheaper. With AT&T you will get $15-$25 off per month. I switched from Verizon to AT&T after purchasing the Passport from shopblackberry and based on the data plan I chose, I receive an additional $15 off per month as compared to someone that purchased the AT&T version on contract. Again, this discount goes up to $25 off per month depending on how much data you use. Basically pays for the device over the contract period. I never make it that long anyway and enjoy switching devices. Just some additional info on unlocked devices and discounts carriers offer for bringing your own device.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 03:29 PM
    OK, I'm just thinking when you get a phone for $0, and sign a 2 or 3 year contract, aren't you indirectly still paying for it, although hidden in your contract?...

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you are overpaying by doing this. Also, if you want out early you have to pay some more. See my post above.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 03:31 PM
    It depends on what company and plan you receive.

For example, Verizon has a plan "more of everything" and "edge". For my Z10 on the "more of everything" I had to pay $199.99 for the phone for a 2-year contract. I believe that the phone itself was $400 without a plan or if you were to buy a new phone when your contract did not end. If I had the "edge" plan it would be some amount per a month which would be included in the mobile bill. I couldn't tell you the "edge" price per a month because they don't have the phone anymore. And I got the Z10 almost 2 years ago. But the edge does offer $15 back if you had the 4gb plan and $25 back if you had the 6gb plan.
    06-05-15 03:34 PM
    The main reason for me is travelling. Unlocked means I can put any sim from any network worldwide and I get service. That's the main reason for me and it's lovely.

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    bungaboy and jmr1015 like this.
    06-05-15 04:10 PM
    OK a lot of the below link applies to Canada's new cell phone rules but there is important information about buying unlocked phones and how much money you can save. Good read.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/06/...t/Empowerment|

BlackBerry... Now and Forever.
    06-05-15 06:18 PM
    Also note the difference between factory unlocked phones (get OS updates directly from BlackBerry) and after market unlocked phones (still stuck waiting for carrier approved OS updates).

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.798
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-05-15 06:34 PM
    It's yours! All the new amortized plans have people paying a phone mortgage. In addition, and I believe, most important is that updates come direct. I will never buy a phone another way. As long as BlackBerry makes a mobile device I will buy direct. And I believe the trend is VERY quickly heading that way for all mobile device manufacturers.

Z30-simply the best touch screen BlackBerry
    06-05-15 11:18 PM
    Two posts above mine have contradictory statements about OS updates. Are the updates direct from the BlackBerry or from the carrier for unlocked phones?

 Posted by BlackBerry Z30 
    06-06-15 10:51 AM
    Two posts above mine have contradictory statements about OS updates. Are the updates direct from the BlackBerry or from the carrier for unlocked phones?

Read this post again carefully, because it offers an exact explanation of why it varies:

Also note the difference between factory unlocked phones (get OS updates directly from BlackBerry) and after market unlocked phones (still stuck waiting for carrier approved OS updates).

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.798
    06-06-15 11:09 AM
    I have a phone / text / 6G data plan for $55 a month with Bell. So to get a new subsidized phone with the same plan I was looking at around $75 at best. So I got a Z30 used on Rogers network and unlocked it for Bell. Wife has same plan so I bought her a new unlocked z30 on sale for $250.

We left the plan as is even though our phones were carrier subsidized at $55. I figure we are still ahead of the game.

A lot of people are paying $80 and more for what we got.

So going unlocked saved us money.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 01:26 PM
    Read this post again carefully, because it offers an exact explanation of why it varies:
    If you read the post by bh7171 you will see that he makes no distinction between the two kinds of unlocked phones. That's why I don't know who to believe.

06-06-15 01:36 PM
    If you read the post by bh7171 you will see that he makes no distinction between the two kinds of unlocked phones. That's why I don't know who to believe.

bh7171 is speaking about factory unlocked devices only, while centerman66 speaks about both factory unlocked devices and carrier unlocked devices.

A factory unlocked device is sold unlocked directly from the manufacturer and is not specified to work on a specific carrier. The manufacturer (BlackBerry, in this case) sends the OS updates out OTA to these devices without having a carrier approve them first.

A carrier unlocked device is a phone that is purchased from a carrier that is locked to that carrier at the time of purchase and has the carrier's version of the BB10 OS on it. The customer can get the unlock code from the carrier once he/she meets the requirements for SIM unlocking. However, the carrier's version of the BB10 OS is still on it, and will always be on it (except for whatever differences come when a different carrier's SIM card is inserted-something that functions differently on BlackBerry phones than phones with other operating systems). The carrier will still have to approve an OS update before it is sent to the phone from BlackBerry, even though the device is SIM unlocked.

HTH.
    06-06-15 04:38 PM
    When I travel from Canada to the US I swap the carrier SIM card for one I purchased from Room Mobility. Now I can purchase a range of services (text, voice, data) from Roam Mobility at a much lower price.
    I can only do this with an unlocked phone.

Posted by Jerbru
    dartdriver likes this.
    06-06-15 08:13 PM
    OK, so I'm Canadian, going to Vegas, what company should I buy a sim card from?.. and where do you find them? Mall kiosks mostly?

Secondly, if in Mexico, what company? Or do American ones work?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 01:51 PM
    OK, so I'm Canadian, going to Vegas, what company should I buy a sim card from?.. and where do you find them? Mall kiosks mostly?

Secondly, if in Mexico, what company? Or do American ones work?

Posted via CB10
    That depends on the radios in your phone. Taking a wild guess, you would be OK with AT&T if your phone is compatible with Rogers, but I don't know if you will get LTE speeds on your phone.

Edited to add: I'm only addressing the US part of your trip.
    06-07-15 03:15 PM
    That depends on the radios in your phone. Taking a wild guess, you would be OK with AT&T if your phone is compatible with Rogers, but I don't know if you will get LTE speeds on your phone.

Edited to add: I'm only addressing the US part of your trip.
    I bought the unlocked z30 off crackberry, that is compatible with the Sasktel network

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 04:08 PM
    I bought the unlocked z30 off crackberry, that is compatible with the Sasktel network

Posted via CB10
    Is it the STA 100-5? If so, I would recommend the AT&T SIM card. If you want a prepaid SIM card, that would be either GoPhone by AT&T or Cricket Wireless. I would recommend going to a Corporate-Owned Retail AT&T store or a Cricket Wireless store to get the SIM card, as mall kiosks are mostly set up to sell phones. If you go to a Cricket Wireless store, they will probably try to sell you a phone, as well.
    06-07-15 05:14 PM
    I guess you could check out the sim-dealer suggested in Post 17. I think that "room" maybe "roam" I think I've read others have used that. Too bad we in the US don't have such deals available to us!
    06-07-15 05:36 PM
    Is it the STA 100-5? If so, I would recommend the AT&T SIM card. If you want a prepaid SIM card, that would be either GoPhone by AT&T or Cricket Wireless. I would recommend going to a Corporate-Owned Retail AT&T store or a Cricket Wireless store to get the SIM card, as mall kiosks are mostly set up to sell phones. If you go to a Cricket Wireless store, they will probably try to sell you a phone, as well.
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 06:02 PM
    The same as being single my brother.
    If you know what I mean.

Supporting the people's revolution worldwide via my BBZ30
    06-07-15 08:04 PM

 Living the life, posting via BB Z30 
    06-07-15 08:11 PM
26 12