I have a WD live book 3tb and would like to access it my z30. There app on BlackBerry World is not compatible with my z30. Anyone know of any solutions?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 03:17 PM
    Have you tried any android WD apps. I have the WD Mycloud drive and the apps from Amazon work perfectly for that device. I am using a z10 and a Passport both running 10.3.1.1949, but my z10 worked well with those apps even on 10.2.1 months ago.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-11-15 03:25 PM
    I have a WD live book 3tb and would like to access it my z30. There app on BlackBerry World is not compatible with my z30. Anyone know of any solutions?

Posted via CB10
    Is it a network drive? If it is, you can access it over the network, you can download the WD My Cloud app from SNAP and voila. Works like a charm.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SR 10.3.0.908, OS 10.3.0.1418
    FF22 likes this.
    01-11-15 03:26 PM
    Thanks guys. I will check this out in the morning. Much appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 04:47 PM
    Ya I've been using the My Cloud app for over a year now. It's not a fluid app but it works. I can access my NAS and upload my stuff to is over my network.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-11-15 06:40 PM
    Update. So I stayed up. Now have WD My cloud from the Amazon app store and I am able to access the drive from my phone. Thank you guys for the help. I always know I can get a straight answer from this crew!!! But why would WD put the app up? Is it native for any bb10 device?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the recommendation. Just gained wireless access to my wd drive using the Snap version.
    01-11-15 08:08 PM
    Thanks for reminding me about this. I had this app back when I had a 9900, but then they didn't have it on the bb10 store. Just downloaded it from the Amazon store.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    01-11-15 10:23 PM
    I have another question. I'm still trying to learn how this all works. How was I able to access my book live not using my own wireless network? I was at a restaurant tonight and I wanted to see if I could access the files from away. Low and behold it worked like magic. I don't understand this sorcery! I don't recall entering any type of password or such when I added the app and it found the external from home. Can anyone access that drive? Could someone explain this to a lowly pleb...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    01-12-15 06:11 PM
    Personally I have no idea. I'd assume that once it has already connected to it once from your wifi, then when away it now knows where to look and is already synced with it.

I just tried mine. Using only wifi. Found my drive no problem. I created profiles for my drive previously, so I needed to log on. But once done, I had access to all my stuff. Slow as hell though.

You can create logins too. Just go to your pc while on the same wifi as the drive, put in the network number of the drive. 192/ whatever it is in your webrowser's address bar. A western digital page should show up with configurations for your drive.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    FF22 likes this.
    01-12-15 10:11 PM
    I have another question. I'm still trying to learn how this all works. How was I able to access my book live not using my own wireless network? I was at a restaurant tonight and I wanted to see if I could access the files from away. Low and behold it worked like magic. I don't understand this sorcery! I don't recall entering any type of password or such when I added the app and it found the external from home. Can anyone access that drive? Could someone explain this to a lowly pleb...

Posted via CB10
    Because your Mybook Live sends it's location information (IP address) to Wd Servers and the app itself requests the location from them. Appears to be safe mind you, but there is no magic envolved.

Very very lamens terms.
    01-13-15 06:12 AM
    Thank you for putting it into perspective. Just wanted to make sure that that was the case and not leaving it open access to everyone around me. Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 07:52 AM
    The big question for me here is, is MyCloud more secure than say Dropbox or Box. I have not yet found an answer to that question but there is perhaps a false sense of security in thinking that I now have my personal cloud storage (in my case I have a total of 4 Terabytes) which is much more secure because I have set the system up myself. I would like to think that with good encryption on the router and password protection on the Mycloud drive itself that I have the perfect solution. I have always distrusted all those other cloud apps, but am I fooling myself?
    01-13-15 09:57 PM
    As Moulder says, 'Trust No One'!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 02:16 PM
    Have you tried any android WD apps. I have the WD Mycloud drive and the apps from Amazon work perfectly for that device. I am using a z10 and a Passport both running 10.3.1.1949, but my z10 worked well with those apps even on 10.2.1 months ago.
    Thanks for sharing this info. How well does the Passport resize the app (for the square display)?
    01-16-15 08:44 AM
    The big question for me here is, is MyCloud more secure than say Dropbox or Box. I have not yet found an answer to that question but there is perhaps a false sense of security in thinking that I now have my personal cloud storage (in my case I have a total of 4 Terabytes) which is much more secure because I have set the system up myself. I would like to think that with good encryption on the router and password protection on the Mycloud drive itself that I have the perfect solution. I have always distrusted all those other cloud apps, but am I fooling myself?
    The biggest downside to MyCloud is the physical one. Flood/fire/power spikes etc could wipe out everything, unless of course you're making backups elsewhere. I've got my OneDrive account and MyCloud synced, for documents anyway.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-16-15 08:50 AM
    Thanks for sharing this info. How well does the Passport resize the app (for the square display)?
    It renders beautifully on my Passport.
    SV_Trinity likes this.
    01-16-15 09:00 AM
    Another option is to use WebDAV on the WD mycloud and use PlayCloud to access it. Takes a bit of messing to set it all up, but it integrates more nicely into BB10 in my opinion. Shame there isn't native support for WebDAV via File Manager and the hub as you can't download an attachment for example to a WebDAV account.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 09:06 AM
    Another option is to use WebDAV on the WD mycloud and use PlayCloud to access it. Takes a bit of messing to set it all up, but it integrates more nicely into BB10 in my opinion. Shame there isn't native support for WebDAV via File Manager and the hub as you can't download an attachment for example to a WebDAV account.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah--I have been searching for a way to get MyCloud more integrated with the File Manager in the same way that Dropbox, Box etc is so that you do NOT have to use the MyCloud app to upload files to the drive itself. It would be nice to integrate MyCloud directly into the File Manager. Maybe if you have time you could explain your WebDAV/Playcloud setup just a bit more detailed so we could understand. I have never used WebDAV.
    01-16-15 09:28 AM
    I'll see if I can explain it when I get a minute.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 09:44 AM
    I'll see if I can explain it when I get a minute.

Posted via CB10
    No problem-no hurry.
    01-16-15 09:53 AM
    As Moulder says, 'Trust No One'!

Posted via CB10
    Lol Moulder. Sounds like a disease. "Sir, I'm sorry but you have Moulder".

Mulder. Btw did you see that Gillian Anderson is campaigning to bring X-Files back?
    01-16-15 08:28 PM
    Yeah--I have been searching for a way to get MyCloud more integrated with the File Manager in the same way that Dropbox, Box etc is so that you do NOT have to use the MyCloud app to upload files to the drive itself. It would be nice to integrate MyCloud directly into the File Manager. Maybe if you have time you could explain your WebDAV/Playcloud setup just a bit more detailed so we could understand. I have never used WebDAV.
    Finally found a few minutes to reply.

I've just today changed the way I'm doing this as WD have put a new version of their DropBox app that can install directly on the MyCloud (well,I've got an EX2 but think it works on both).

I installed the app, configured it, gave it permission etc and it's created a folder /Public/Dropbox which syncs with my Dropbox account.

I've enabled WebDAV on this folder, created a user ID/password which has access to it and in PlayCloud enabled both DropBox and WebDAV access. There a bit of messing needed as well on the router to set up port forwarding (I use port 4443 for https access).

Once this is done, I now have access via PlayCloud to all my data on the EX2 via WebDAV, and if I download any attachments from the hub, I can save then to Dropbox which will get synced to the EX2 every 5 minutes. Access to the WD drive runs very quickly, especially when connected to my Wifi network. Probably at least as quick as dropbox when 3/4g (depends on home broadband speed).

If my EX2 dies all my important docs are on dropbox, everything is synced and accessible from anywhere, either with playcloud or the WD mycloud app. I also set up a dynamic DNS name which means I effectively have a static IP address and can get to the WebDAV account by hostname rather than an IP address which could change.

Hope some of that makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    pittster likes this.
    01-19-15 12:59 PM
    Finally found a few minutes to reply.

I've just today changed the way I'm doing this as WD have put a new version of their DropBox app that can install directly on the MyCloud (well,I've got an EX2 but think it works on both).

I installed the app, configured it, gave it permission etc and it's created a folder /Public/Dropbox which syncs with my Dropbox account.

I've enabled WebDAV on this folder, created a user ID/password which has access to it and in PlayCloud enabled both DropBox and WebDAV access. There a bit of messing needed as well on the router to set up port forwarding (I use port 4443 for https access).

Once this is done, I now have access via PlayCloud to all my data on the EX2 via WebDAV, and if I download any attachments from the hub, I can save then to Dropbox which will get synced to the EX2 every 5 minutes. Access to the WD drive runs very quickly, especially when connected to my Wifi network. Probably at least as quick as dropbox when 3/4g (depends on home broadband speed).

If my EX2 dies all my important docs are on dropbox, everything is synced and accessible from anywhere, either with playcloud or the WD mycloud app. I also set up a dynamic DNS name which means I effectively have a static IP address and can get to the WebDAV account by hostname rather than an IP address which could change.

Hope some of that makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    I know this thread is a bit old. But is there a way for me to access MyCloud WebDav without routing it thru my DropBox account? The reason I got MyCloud is for bigger storage space. So if routed through Dropbox the size is limited.

Thanks in advance.
    09-11-15 07:47 PM
    You can, but you will need to purchase PlayCloud. Unfortunately BB10 doesn't natively support WebDAV. With Playcloud you can add a WebDAV account and access it quite happily (if you are not on your local wifi network you will need to set up port forwarding on your router for webdav).

You could also give the new WD My Cloud Android app a go but I've found it very sluggish.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 03:40 AM