Looking to move up from my trusty Z10 to the Z30. I'm in NYC and currently on AT&T where I get satisfactory LTE speeds, so no plans in place to switch carriers in the interim.

Just need a bit of help in making an informed purchase.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 11:02 AM
    BlackBerry Black Z30 - ShopBlackBerry.com

STA100-5

No guarantee of LTE depending on area.
    01-22-15 11:57 AM
    BlackBerry Black Z30 - ShopBlackBerry.com

STA100-5

No guarantee of LTE depending on area.
    Yep. Same as Rogers.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:03 PM
    Technically the STA100-1 but I've never seen one. I'm not sure if they were even manufactured.

The STA100-5 is the next best thing.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-22-15 12:05 PM
    You need a STA-100-1 but unfortunately you are unlikely to find one. You will most likely find STA-100-2s (the Euro model), STA-100-3s (the Verizon model), and STA -100-5s the North America Unlocked model that BB sells. HOWEVER the 5 just has the LTE bands for T-Mobile on AT&T you will be limited to H+..
    01-22-15 12:08 PM
    You need a STA-100-1 but unfortunately you are unlikely to find one. You will most likely find STA-100-2s (the Euro model), STA-100-3s (the Verizon model), and STA -100-5s the North America Unlocked model that BB sells. HOWEVER the 5 just has the LTE bands for T-Mobile on AT&T you will be limited to H+..
    Not necessarily true it's please to get LTE on AT&T with the -5 but not likely AT&T and the -5 do have some LTE bands in common but not their primary bands so you will only get in some locations.

But people really underestimate the speed of HSPA+ is pretty fast.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-22-15 12:15 PM
    Well, I have Z30 with AT&T but it has no LTE in San Jose California. 4G is the only option for me but it is fast enough to watch Netflix without any problems. Picture very clear and the speakers from Z30 is very loud for me.
    01-22-15 12:33 PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I do know that AT&T 4G works pretty well, as my Z10 switches over to it in a few areas and quite frankly, I hardly ever notice the difference in speed between it and LTE (don't know if that's due to really good 4G or bit subpar LTE service).

Think I'll chance it and do hope I can see LTE pop up in some areas.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I do know that AT&T 4G works pretty well, as my Z10 switches over to it in a few areas and quite frankly, I hardly ever notice the difference in speed between it and LTE (don't know if that's due to really good 4G or bit subpar LTE service).

Think I'll chance it and do hope I can see LTE pop up in some areas.

Posted via CB10
    But if you don't care about LTE at all and you find an STA100-2 for much cheaper go for that instead because I'm pretty sure they all support the same bands for HSPA.

Just some don't have CDMA and they all have different bands

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-22-15 12:50 PM
    Technically the STA100-1 but I've never seen one. I'm not sure if they were even manufactured.
    Oh yes they were. Not on a mass production scale, but they certainly were. A few people on CB have one.

You know what's even rarer? A STA100-4, i.e. the Sprint Z30. But even that was manufactured. At least one person has posted about it. He was actually a GSM carrier's customer and was bummed out that it wouldn't work on his carrier, but it was a bona fide -4.
    01-22-15 12:52 PM
    Oh yes they were. Not on a mass production scale, but they certainly were. A few people on CB have one.

You know what's even rarer? A STA100-4, i.e. the Sprint Z30. But even that was manufactured. At least one person has posted about it.
    Seriously?
    I thought the -4 was NEVER manufactured for sure?

So how can someone have a -4 if Sprint never ended up selling it?

A few were made in a factory somewhere and they were just lying around so someone sold them off the books?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-22-15 12:57 PM

You know what's even rarer? A STA100-4, i.e. the Sprint Z30. But even that was manufactured. At least one person has posted about it. He was actually a GSM carrier's customer and was bummed out that it wouldn't work on his carrier, but it was a bona fide -4.
    Wait what?

The -4 doesn't has ONLY the sprint bands?

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-22-15 12:58 PM
    Wait what?

The -4 doesn't has ONLY the sprint bands?
    It had the same UMTS bands as the Verizon Z30...but like many recent Sprint phones, it was not unlockable. Plus, since the owner never tried activating it on Sprint, we don't know if it would work even there.
    01-22-15 01:13 PM
    I have a Z30 "STA -100-5s the North America Unlocked model that BB sells" on AT&T in So. Cal. I'm not in LA but north of the city and I get LTE is some spots but mostly 4G. I have had my Z30 for about 5 months and love it. When I'm away from my home 4G is fast and with AT&T improve there networks signal strength I have between 4 to 5 bars all day and my battery still lasts 12+ hours, which I love.

The only thing I would suggest you do is go into an AT&T corporate store, not a reseller store. Once the new sim was in my phone the AT&T branding downloaded and I didn't have to call AT&T customer support. The sales person I was dealing with in the store was surprised.
    01-22-15 02:27 PM
    Looking to move up from my trusty Z10 to the Z30. I'm in NYC and currently on AT&T where I get satisfactory LTE speeds, so no plans in place to switch carriers in the interim.

Just need a bit of help in making an informed purchase.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    The STA100-5 but you won't likely find much LTE in New York as it doesn't have band 17 from AT&T. Take a look at these links to answer all your questions.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-850736/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cities-918436/
    01-22-15 02:49 PM
    You won't notice much difference if any. I have the 5 variant on AT&T here in Sacramento CA and get full bars of 4G everywhere. It is plenty fast and I don't notice the difference between the LTE I had on my Z10. You are going to LOVE the Z30 for many reasons. The battery life is amazing.

Z30-simply the best touch BlackBerry
    01-22-15 04:31 PM
    Seriously?
    I thought the -4 was NEVER manufactured for sure?

So how can someone have a -4 if Sprint never ended up selling it?

A few were made in a factory somewhere and they were just lying around so someone sold them off the books?
    The same way people end up with STA100-1s. They are manufactured in very limited quantities for testing, demos etc. CB even had a video up which showed an AT&T branded Z30. I think it was either Bla1ze or Simon Sage who put it up.
    01-22-15 04:35 PM
    I am using STA100-2 variant and I get 4G from AT&T here in Phoenix. Not bad at all and I hardly notice the difference from LTE on my old Z10. Not sure if not having LTE also helps with battery life conservation.
    01-23-15 09:30 AM
    I'm a couple of hours north of NYC on AT&T and I'm occasionally getting LTE service on the Z30 I picked up from Shop BlackBerry. The majority of the time I get 4G service. As I'm typing this I'm on LTE. :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:46 PM
    Live in Albany area...and when had my z30 in fall (changed now to q10), ATT was giving me beautiful LTE...I had A 100-5.
    02-21-15 08:48 PM