For those who have been following my Z30 data/APN saga since I bought it - situation was absolutely no way to get data services on the phone. Different SIM cards, different countries, APN you name it - it would just say 'voice only' when connecting.

I brought it back to the dealer in India (3 months now I have had a not so smart smartphone) and they did a complete wipe of the phone. I had tried restoring factory settings, the dealer did something else on his station and essentially wiped everything off the device.

Now data works. *confused*. Restored back my settings and applications. Yep - no data. BlackBerry India says the phone is working fine and I'm going to have to go through and put all my email accounts, documents, settings, apps etc in manually.

Thought I'd save some time and ask here. Any known applications/settings that could interfere with the data radio? Or can someone help me trouble shoot this? Doesn't make any sense, why should an ap/setting be able to stop data service from functioning.

Thanks in advance - this would save me a whole bunch of work. Going to be a PITA to add all my email accounts, set up whatsapp etc and I don't have a full day to lose.
    03-31-14 05:47 AM
    What do you mean by "no data"?

Do you see a Blackberry logo at the upper right of the screen?

Do telephone and SMS work?

Does WiFi work?

Did you check that data is enabled in network settings?

If you restored a previous OS configuration with ie "data" turned off, then it may be as simple as that.
    03-31-14 05:55 AM
    I see the BB logo only on wifi. With a sim card in (data services enabled on phone and sim), only telephone and SMS work. When the phone connects to the mobile network it absolutely can't get data. Every network it connects to is with 'voice only'. All settings are enabled to allow data, it just can't connect. Now with the complete wipe, data works on the SIM. As soon as my applications and settings are restored - poof - voice only. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew of an application or setting known to stop data service completely on the phone. To the extent that even under 'mobile network' it shows the connection as 'voice only'
    03-31-14 06:16 AM
    When you say "applications and settings restored"... you mean your phone worked AFTER the wipe and stopped AFTER the restore? It's pretty well know if you have connection issues with your phone that are cured after a wipe that you should NOT restore your settings as you are restoring the problem. If that's what you mean.
    03-31-14 09:44 AM
    in your mobile network...under network selection mode....is it on automatic or manual?.is it possible it could be stuck in a loop while scanning?
    03-31-14 01:13 PM
    Yes, looks like the phone worked after the wipe. Data was able to connect. On restoring from backup, it lost data connectivity again. Network selection mode is automatic. I suppose i *could* go through and reinstall all apps, all settings, input email accounts etc. but it really is a lot of work. Would take me a day or more and I"m here in India on a short business trip and to fix the phone. Thought someone here could help me see exactly which application or setting is causing the problem so I could get it working from a restore.
    03-31-14 11:06 PM
    Yes, looks like the phone worked after the wipe. Data was able to connect. On restoring from backup, it lost data connectivity again. Network selection mode is automatic. I suppose i *could* go through and reinstall all apps, all settings, input email accounts etc. but it really is a lot of work. Would take me a day or more and I"m here in India on a short business trip and to fix the phone. Thought someone here could help me see exactly which application or setting is causing the problem so I could get it working from a restore.
    Well the problem with BB10 is that native restores are almost "all or nothing". So you can't just restore Remember notes and browser bookmarks and application data, when you restore "settings" you restore ALL OS settings, which is probably where the problem arises.

You could try restoring just Media and Application Data (two of 3 choices you are given with BlackBerry Link restores), but no one knows exactly what is contained in "Settings" - Blackberry has never documented this, which is a real shame.

I have been recently preparing to do, for once, a fresh install of a newer OS on my daily driver device (rather than an in-place update), but after I start looking at all the app-specific data that I would lose with no clear way to get it back outside of a full restore, I'm now changing my thinking that I'll try an in-place update again first. (Something I didn't want to do, because over time the OS tends to collect "funky" configuration data that is best to purge if you don't want to import problems to a new OS install.)
    04-01-14 02:05 AM
    Turns out only a full wipe gets the phone working again. Restoring - even partially - again lose data. Blackberry tech support says media (or an ap) is corrupt. Just don't see how a corrupt data file can mess up the radio on a smartphone! Sometimes I wonder if it's smart to allow apps (especially the ones from amazon) so much access to the phone just to function. Camera, radio, data etc. They don't need it! Who knows how it can mess up setting or functionality. Grrrr - there goes 48 hours. Download all apps again, organize, input data and get i working the way I had it before. Waste!
    04-01-14 07:17 AM
    Turns out only a full wipe gets the phone working again. Restoring - even partially - again lose data. Blackberry tech support says media (or an ap) is corrupt. Just don't see how a corrupt data file can mess up the radio on a smartphone! Sometimes I wonder if it's smart to allow apps (especially the ones from amazon) so much access to the phone just to function.

You're using Amazon's app store to install Android apps?

Umm.... you do realize that that's not an officially supported way to install apps on a BB10 device, right? You realize that there is a disclaimer whenever you try to install an app that was not obtained from BlackBerry World that it might not work right, might cause problems on the device, etc.. right?

I'm not saying that those apps were responsible for your data issue because I'm not in a position to know, but do not expect BlackBerry to officially support something which they have never claimed to officially support.

Re: camera/radio/data support on Android apps - how would you propose that someone use SnapChat or Instagram or Google Maps without data support, GPS support, camera support, etc.?

Technically, the only officially supported way to use an Android app on a BB10 device is have the developer port it to BB10 (sometimes this is an almost automatic process) and submit it for approval to be distributed through BlackBerry World. Many "big name" Android apps are distributed this way, ie Skype, eBay, etc.
    04-01-14 05:57 PM
    Wipe it again, and then when you restore, try only restore settings. See if that keeps the data functioning.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    04-02-14 08:14 AM
    Wipe it again, and then when you restore, try only restore settings. See if that keeps the data functioning.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    Actually, you probably shouldn't restore anything. And, I've been installing Android apps directly from Amazon onto my .2228 OS w/o issue. The only two apps I ever had problems with were from BBerry World.
    04-02-14 08:46 AM
    I went with a complete new setup. Wasn't too bad getting things back to the way they were. Now it's working fine and setup the way I l had it before. Omnitech - CB has a front page post talking about installing Android apps from Amazon. I'm not doing something as nutty and shocking as you make it sound in your post. It's fairly common practice. And anyway, the problem happened before I installed any Android apps. Google Maps needs GPS, radio, camera etc. There's a LOT of apps both on BBerry World and Amazon that ask a lot of access to unrelated things.
    04-02-14 09:15 AM
    Starting fresh is the best way, then once you have everything set up how you like, do a backup of it! This way you have a working backup

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 09:53 AM
    I went with a complete new setup. Wasn't too bad getting things back to the way they were. Now it's working fine and setup the way I l had it before.
    Glad it's working for you with perhaps a bit less hassle than you anticipated.

Omnitech - CB has a front page post talking about installing Android apps from Amazon. I'm not doing something as nutty and shocking as you make it sound in your post. It's fairly common practice.
    I have a bunch of Android apps installed on one of my devices too. My point was not that it was "nutty" or "shocking", my point was that it is not officially supported by BlackBerry. It makes no difference what articles Crackberry chooses to write, Crackberry is not BlackBerry and does not have any influence or control over BlackBerry policies, nor do they speak for them.

BlackBerry is certainly moving slowly in the direction of embracing Android apps on BB10 devices, but you can go to their website product pages and promo materials and find almost nothing about installing Android apps because it's not an officially supported feature. It's more of a thing to appease power-users who can accept the limits and liabilities, and who understand that if some random Android app doesn't run right, or causes problems on the device, BlackBerry is probably going to disclaim any responsibility for that.

Which is totally understandable from both a strategic/legal POV as well as a technical POV. There are a lot of Android apps that simply won't run on the BB10 runtime because of the limitations of it (most of which I am perfectly fine with because I personally do NOT want most of the Google frameworks on my BlackBerry), and if they claimed to officially support Android apps, they would be inundated with complaints from everyone that couldn't get some popular app that has Google framework dependencies weaved all throughout their app, etc.

And anyway, the problem happened before I installed any Android apps.
    Good to know.

Google Maps needs GPS, radio, camera etc. There's a LOT of apps both on BBerry World and Amazon that ask a lot of access to unrelated things.
    I agree, which is one reason why at this time I do not have any Android apps installed on my daily driver.
    04-02-14 11:09 PM