My upgrade date has finally arrived. Ordered the Z30 today from Voda UK which will be in my hands on Monday. Can't wait.

I've done quite a bit of research already but might need some assistance later.

One thing I don't understand is how you transfer the Password Keeper data across from the 9900. Perhaps you guys could give me a clue.

Cheers Alan.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    dusdal and moody like this.
    06-06-14 01:27 PM
    Found this in the Help app for BlackBerry 10
    Upgrade time - 9900 to Z30-img_20140606_143000.png

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-06-14 01:30 PM
    Also first thing you want to do is update the OS.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-06-14 01:32 PM
    Thanks Dave.

06-06-14 01:42 PM
    And then get all emails, contacts, calendars setup and whatever apps and backup. That way if there is ever a issue you don't need to start from 0.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-06-14 01:44 PM
    On the 9900, make sure you backup the password keeper data to the SD card. I can't remember if you can do this on a 9900, but it will be in options menu of Password Keeper.

With the OS10 phones, you use BlackBerry Link on the PC/Mac to backup, restore, sync. It also has a device switch option. Not sure if this works with the 9900 to Z30. You may want to research it.

It has been a while since I switched. When I switched from a 9900, I used the device switch option on the 9900 and chose the option to save the data to the SD card. When the Z30 sees this file, it will ask if you want to do a device switch using the data. I would only do this if the LINK device switch does not work.

One thing to keep in mind about device switch in LINK is that you need to have the same BlackBerryID on both phones. On the Z30, you will need to go through the initial phone setup and log it into BlackBerryID prior to doing the device switch. Otherwise it will not connect to link ( if the phone is not setup) or it will give you an error that the BlackBerryID is not setup if you skipped the BlackBerryID login screen during the phone setup. I ran into that problem yesterday when switching from a Q10 to a Z10 using device switch.
    06-06-14 02:04 PM
    On the 9900, make sure you backup the password keeper data to the SD card. I can't remember if you can do this on a 9900, but it will be in options menu of Password Keeper.

With the OS10 phones, you use BlackBerry Link on the PC/Mac to backup, restore, sync. It also has a device switch option. Not sure if this works with the 9900 to Z30. You may want to research it.

It has been a while since I switched. When I switched from a 9900, I used the device switch option on the 9900 and chose the option to save the data to the SD card. When the Z30 sees this file, it will ask if you want to do a device switch using the data. I would only do this if the LINK device switch does not work.

One thing to keep in mind about device switch in LINK is that you need to have the same BlackBerryID on both phones. On the Z30, you will need to go through the initial phone setup and log it into BlackBerryID prior to doing the device switch. Otherwise it will not connect to link ( if the phone is not setup) or it will give you an error that the BlackBerryID is not setup if you skipped the BlackBerryID login screen during the phone setup. I ran into that problem yesterday when switching from a Q10 to a Z10 using device switch.
    Just checked, there is no option in PK on the 9900 to backup to the SD card.

06-06-14 03:03 PM
    good to see legacy users coming to the new world of bb10. enjoy your z30 its probably the best phone in market at the moment with the fastest os, great battery life, and the best speakers bar none.
    howards and stevepar like this.
    06-06-14 05:56 PM
    Just checked, there is no option in PK on the 9900 to backup to the SD card.

The device switch option should transfer the data for the Password keeper.
    moody likes this.
    06-06-14 06:37 PM
    Yes, been investigating tonight and your correct, Thanks again. I'm learning. Lol.

06-06-14 06:52 PM
    good to see legacy users coming to the new world of bb10. enjoy your z30 its probably the best phone in market at the moment with the fastest os, great battery life, and the best speakers bar none.
    Looking forward to Monday for sure. It was always my intention to take up BB10 but had to wait until my contract was up on my faithful 9900.

God bless it. Still pristine and running as good as the day I bought it 2 years ago.

06-06-14 07:19 PM
    I should also point out that, as a mark of commitment, I purchased a belt holster case for my "pending" Z30 about 3 months ago. (Amazon only had 2 in stock at the time and I didn't want to miss out).

WWBlondieDo likes this.
    06-06-14 08:05 PM
    You will love your new Z30. Best of luck with it!!

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.2180
    06-06-14 09:32 PM
    You will love it I'm sure.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-07-14 12:48 AM
    I concur.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-07-14 01:48 PM
    I should also point out that, as a mark of commitment, I purchased a belt holster case for my "pending" Z30 about 3 months ago. (Amazon only had 2 in stock at the time and I didn't want to miss out).

Good choice. That's my choice too. Holster + screen protector but /wo case.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-07-14 01:50 PM
    Nice, enjoy the new phone! It really is the best phone on the market.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 02:01 PM
    Thanks for all your comments and help.

Another issue concerning me that appears on these threads, is the amount of data that PIM services consumes for no valid reason.

What should I look for or avoid to minimise this potential issue?

06-07-14 03:30 PM
    Thanks for all your comments and help.

Another issue concerning me that appears on these threads, is the amount of data that PIM services consumes for no valid reason.

What should I look for or avoid to minimise this potential issue?

This usually happens after a update. So if you update first. You'll be fine. It's because after a update the calendar, contacts and emails try to sync again all at the same time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-07-14 11:26 PM
    Oh and a sync interval that has more time apart would decrease PIM usage of course.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-07-14 11:52 PM
    Thanks Dave. So if I set the sync time higher, I should be OK under normal usage?

06-08-14 04:13 AM
    Thst's right. Higher sync time will save battery. But having said this, I recommend using minimum gap between sync or keep push mail on. This phone has a beast of a battery, coupled with a super efficient OS.

I care about getting mails / alerts immediately and hence have set all 4 email accounts and three other social accounts for instant sync or minimum possible gap between syncs. I get between 18 to 30 hours on a single charge depending on the usage.

You will experience efficiency brought in by the Hub (Wait till Apple copies it for iPhone / iPad, and claim it to be their invention). All the iSheeps will rave about how great Apple products are. Anyways, enough of ranting.

Latest update to 10.2.1.3175 has made android app load faster. I think they have tweaked the runtime. Make sure you download Amazon Appstore App from its US website. With that you'll be able to download most of the relevant and official Android apps. Just need to use your Amazon login credentials.

You're coming on board at a good time. OS has matured well over the past year and half (nearly). Next update 10.3.xxxx promises to bring some more optimisations, so your timing to jump in couldn't be better.

Do share us your experiences once you have the device settled. It will take the device couple days to sync, file and organise so don't be perturbed if you aren't getting the desired battery life initially. Just let the device and OS do their own thing. Leave it on its own post initial setup.

I suppose that is a lot of advice, without you asking, so will stop here! Clearly, shows how excited us users of Z30 are, for the device and the OS powering it. Good luck.

CB10 on Z30
    06-08-14 04:42 AM
    Slightly off topic..but I've just started using Enpass on all my devices for password management. Versions exist for BB10, Windows, iOS and OSX and all passwords sync automatically via Dropbox. Imports from other sources is easy. I've used password keeper and various Keepass iterations in the past and I have been amazed how well Enpass works.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    06-08-14 08:01 AM
    Slightly off topic..but I've just started using Enpass on all my devices for password management. Versions exist for BB10, Windows, iOS and OSX and all passwords sync automatically via Dropbox. Imports from other sources is easy. I've used password keeper and various Keepass iterations in the past and I have been amazed how well Enpass works.

I agree. Until Password Keeper is multi platform, it is useless for me. I have it on my Z10, Nexus 5, SG3, 2 Asus Tablets, 2 Laptops, and my desktop.
    06-08-14 09:42 AM
    Thst's right. Higher sync time will save battery. But having said this, I recommend using minimum gap between sync or keep push mail on. This phone has a beast of a battery, coupled with a super efficient OS.

I care about getting mails / alerts immediately and hence have set all 4 email accounts and three other social accounts for instant sync or minimum possible gap between syncs. I get between 18 to 30 hours on a single charge depending on the usage.

You will experience efficiency brought in by the Hub (Wait till Apple copies it for iPhone / iPad, and claim it to be their invention). All the iSheeps will rave about how great Apple products are. Anyways, enough of ranting.

Latest update to 10.2.1.3175 has made android app load faster. I think they have tweaked the runtime. Make sure you download Amazon Appstore App from its US website. With that you'll be able to download most of the relevant and official Android apps. Just need to use your Amazon login credentials.

You're coming on board at a good time. OS has matured well over the past year and half (nearly). Next update 10.3.xxxx promises to bring some more optimisations, so your timing to jump in couldn't be better.

Do share us your experiences once you have the device settled. It will take the device couple days to sync, file and organise so don't be perturbed if you aren't getting the desired battery life initially. Just let the device and OS do their own thing. Leave it on its own post initial setup.

I suppose that is a lot of advice, without you asking, so will stop here! Clearly, shows how excited us users of Z30 are, for the device and the OS powering it. Good luck.

CB10 on Z30
    Thanks Purvesh. Yes I'm sure its going to be a fantastic device. With the synch, it wasn't so much the battery life that concerned me but the amount of data consumption. Like you, I do like my emails to arrive quickly.

06-08-14 09:47 AM
30 12