I'm leaving this post just in case someone else encounters this same problem.

In a nutshell, I essentially could not perform any touch-screen touches such as to open an application or make a call. However the core OS swipe gestures worked perfectly both smoothly and accurately.

The answer turned out that the screen reader mode has been engaged without any audible effects to be heard. I would guess that it was in some indeterminate state.

Pressing the Power Button three times in succession will engage or disengage the screen reader, which is exactly what I did to which I was rewarded with the audible notification "Screen Reader Off" and instantly all touch-screen touches began to work as before.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Below is my original post and notes. As one can see, I was ready to reload the OS which I suspect would have fixed the problem but without knowing the fundamental cause.

Cheerios!

Well, my poor Verizon Z30 has been having trouble with the physical power button not working but I've been able to work through it.

Today I have a new and more serious problem... most of the time, I cannot "touch" anything. Slides work. I can reach the hub and go to the main screen and the animations are smooth, but I just cannot touch things like to open files or close calendar notifications.

I've rebooted a several of times using the volume buttons. Once or twice, I've been able to make one touch and that's it.

Right now I'm researching reloading the OS targeting 10.3.1.280 because that looks good but I just want to confirm if it is wise to try to reload with the Z30 in this state or if it might be a new hardware issue.

Any input or advice so that I do the right thing here would be appreciated.

Edit: I have discovered that if I repeatedly touch the same home screen icon, I have a chance to get it work, but no where else have I been able to replicate this. All swipes are still working perfectly.

Edit: I currently have the stock Version 10.2.1.

Observation: The swipes are indeed working perfectly. They are reacting to my touch exactly as they should. Each are smooth and are positioned at the right points. For example, waking up the device, the border of the gradient closely follows my finger. I was thinking that there might be a digitizer problem but at this point I rather doubt it.

Edit: I was able to swipe and answer a call but was just unable to hang it up. Had to power down the phone to hang up.

Edit: I have downloaded everything Z30 from OS 10.3.1.2726 Live Links - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com and am starting to look through it and see if I can figure out what I'm supposed to do. It looks like a wipe and load and might be the best option.

Edit: As I research this, I see that I don't need the "Updated Apps".

Verification: The Autoloader is totally destructive versus Sachesi which only updates the files without my having to totally reload and reconfig the device (I expect some things might have to be tweaked.)

In my situation, is the autoloader or Sachesi the recommended route?

VERY Interesting Tidbit : I just plugged in a wired mouse into the Z30 via OTG and it works perfectly!!!! Does this affect my strategy ?

USB OTG Mouse Update : I found myself having to double-click when I would have expected to have to single click. I thought that was odd.

Then I decided to make a test phone call. I double-clicked the individual, the call screen came up instantly and then I double clicked on the SPEAKER to engage the speaker phone and then I heard it... the screen reader!

I reached up and triple clicked the power button and it said "Screen Reader Off" and now, all of a sudden, the single touch screen touches are working perfectly again!!!!!

Wow!
    Last edited by bull_thumper; 04-25-15 at 07:38 PM.
    FF22 and jaydee5799 like this.
    04-25-15 06:21 PM
    This should be a great help to some others who find themselves stuck like this! Thanks!
    04-25-15 09:07 PM
    That's actually really cool that there is a screen reader option. I like it! Glad that you didn't wipe your Z30 and figured it out. Cool find.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 12:13 AM
    That's actually really cool that there is a screen reader option. I like it! Glad that you didn't wipe your Z30 and figured it out. Cool find.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I got brave and for the first time ever, I used the Sachesi 2.0.0 application to upgrade to 10.3.1.1779 (which is what the program picked for me).... it sure is nice being able to join 2015 no thanks to Verizon !
    FF22 likes this.
    04-26-15 06:42 PM
    Actually, I got brave and for the first time ever, I used the Sachesi 2.0.0 application to upgrade to 10.3.1.1779 (which is what the program picked for me).... it sure is nice being able to join 2015 no thanks to Verizon !
    Lol... had the same issue with the older updates when I had my Verizon Z10 and Z30. Ended up using Sachesi doing a non-destructive update. Was so easy. Just plugged into computer and Sachesi showed the latest OS and installed. I was always reluctant with doing this, but once I did was never on an unofficial old OS. Hope you are enjoying 10.3.1 and I'm sure it was much easier to do than you probably thought.

On another note, I'm much happier now that I switched to AT&T for the Passport and all of my devices are now unlocked from shopblackberry and BlackBerry seems to be pushing updates right out. Left unlimited data on Verizon and am much happier with AT&T... especially the bill being a good $30/month cheaper. Yah for the GSM only Passport lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 12:26 AM
    Lol... had the same issue with the older updates when I had my Verizon Z10 and Z30. Ended up using Sachesi doing a non-destructive update. Was so easy. Just plugged into computer and Sachesi showed the latest OS and installed. I was always reluctant with doing this, but once I did was never on an unofficial old OS. Hope you are enjoying 10.3.1 and I'm sure it was much easier to do than you probably thought.

On another note, I'm much happier now that I switched to AT&T for the Passport and all of my devices are now unlocked from shopblackberry and BlackBerry seems to be pushing updates right out. Left unlimited data on Verizon and am much happier with AT&T... especially the bill being a good $30/month cheaper. Yah for the GSM only Passport lol.

Posted via CB10
    I do firmware updates for other equipment but taking my phone "down" to do this seems like something bigger. I don't think that Sachesi picked the latest version (10.3.1.1779) and it installed some Rodgers utilities but I deleted those.

So far 10.3.1 has been good. I need to get the second Flash compatible browser installed and find a compatible version of Netflix as this seems to be the only application that doesn't work. I'm leaving Battery Save mode on all the time ... my phone is saying 3+ days battery life. Wow! Well, Blend is probably helping me saving some electrons, as well.

I'm considering switching to AT&T. Two years ago, they had some major holes in their service coverage near me but that is getting better. GSM being "universal" is a huge plus especially because that slider has my attention... but then again, I'm still totally satisfied with my Z30.
    04-27-15 05:30 PM
    I do firmware updates for other equipment but taking my phone "down" to do this seems like something bigger. I don't think that Sachesi picked the latest version (10.3.1.1779) and it installed some Rodgers utilities but I deleted those.

So far 10.3.1 has been good. I need to get the second Flash compatible browser installed and find a compatible version of Netflix as this seems to be the only application that doesn't work. I'm leaving Battery Save mode on all the time ... my phone is saying 3+ days battery life. Wow! Well, Blend is probably helping me saving some electrons, as well.

I'm considering switching to AT&T. Two years ago, they had some major holes in their service coverage near me but that is getting better. GSM being "universal" is a huge plus especially because that slider has my attention... but then again, I'm still totally satisfied with my Z30.
    Well, to some extent, outside of the USA, the Verizon Z30 is also universal since the sim card provides gsm service when in Europe and probably elsewhere.
    04-27-15 06:55 PM