I normally don't use a device password. I'm on my phone so much that I never bothered. Tonight I left my phone at a celll phone kiosk to replace my screen protector. There were a few people ahead of me so I decided to password lock it, leave it and pick it up after I ran my errands. It was a simple 4 digit pin that I use with my bank card, easy to remember.

However, perhaps my fat thumbs forced an error that I didnt notice and the short end of the story is that I couldn't unlock the device even after trying some possible fat finger probable errors. Of course after 10 failed attempts, the device started wiping,

First, how long is the wipe process? It been going on for about 2 hours now.

Secondly, upon my phone coming back, what steps should I take first? of course, it'll act like a new phone and prompt me for my Blackberry ID etc but what kind of information does blackberry protect store and is that the first app I should install and run?

I do have a back up file from about 3 weeks ago. I presume the next thing to run would be that correct?

As for my emails that are on my server (Rogers web mail client) am I correct in assuming the only way they will come back to my device is if I go into my webmail client and mark them as unread? his should presumably force a push back to the device,

As for apps, is snap still a sideload app or is there a direct download for it (if it doesn;t show up in my recovery)

Essentially, without asking too many questions (I've asked a lot already) what steps should I take when the device comes back to life?

Are text messages (SMS) gone for good? Blackberry protect doesn't save those right?

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I was so rushed at the kiosk that I don't even remember if it asked to confirm the password and if it didn't perhaps the OS should make you enter It twice.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FYI: It's a Z30 running latest 10.2
    10-01-14 08:11 PM
    You are mostly correct.

The wipe can take multiple hours so give it time.

Emails dont need to be marked unread they will sink back up when you add the email back onto your device.

Are the contacts attached to email accounts? if so they will resync as well.

the backup file from 3 weeks ago will help get apps and some app data back but obviously will be out of date and you might have to download some manually.

That should get you as close to where you were as you can get. SMS are probably lost for the most part
    10-01-14 08:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Working on getting most of my stuff back.

How do I get the tutorial bar to go away?

Uh oh, device wiped ...I need help please-img_20141001_232243.png

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    10-01-14 10:30 PM
    The only way to get rid of the tutorial is to finish it completely. Sucks I know but that's how it is.
    deezy87 likes this.
    10-01-14 10:34 PM
    Yeah what they said. ^^

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 11:14 PM
    Thanks again all.

Couple bugs noticed since getting my device as close to where it was.

First, I completed the entire tutorial but I still get the on screen tutorials... is there something else I can try?

Uh oh, device wiped ...I need help please-img_20141002_094536.png

Secondly contacts.

I had my wife re send her contact card to me. It asked me to update existing contact and save.

When I go to her contact only her BBM Pin shows, not all other info. I can't even find the contact card I saved.

Any help?

Thanks.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    10-02-14 08:50 AM
    When your phone is stolen for example and has a password and the thief enters it 10 times wipes the device, does he then have a access to a fresh clean, password free phone?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:34 PM
    Yes, that's why the automatic wipe after 10 passwords option must be disabled
    Otherwise it's just optimized for thiefs. Just write the wrong password and then it's ready for ebay

Posted via Z10
    10-20-14 01:56 AM
    Yes, that's why the automatic wipe after 10 passwords option must be disabled
    Otherwise it's just optimized for thiefs. Just write the wrong password and then it's ready for ebay

Posted via Z10
    See that I am lost on. Every time I do a security wipe on my password protected phone I have to use my security code open restarting. May be the 10 fails wipe works different. I may have to try that on my q10 before I load the new leak on it in a few days.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 02:32 AM
    When your phone is stolen for example and has a password and the thief enters it 10 times wipes the device, does he then have a access to a fresh clean, password free phone?
    Yep!

Too bad the phone doesn't require unlocking from the associated BBID account first.
    10-20-14 11:18 AM
    you could always turn on sim card pin lock so the phone can't be used with another sim card
    10-20-14 12:02 PM
    No it works in another way.
    That is the sim card lock, preventing to use the card if you don't write the pin at start.
    On a lost phone it's better to have it disabled.
    If who finds the phone is honest, then can call you.
    If is not honest, you can ask the carrier to have a call details to know the thief identity
    10-20-14 12:13 PM
    Interesting. I went into my SIM card settings, hit "on" for SIM Card PIN Lock and it asked me for a password, showing 3 attempts remaining. Not sure what that's about.

Also I noticed under Phone Network Lock, it shows "Unlocked" for Network Subset and Service Provider. Is that the same as an "Unlocked phone"?
    10-20-14 12:14 PM
    Interesting. I went into my SIM card settings, hit "on" for SIM Card PIN Lock and it asked me for a password, showing 3 attempts remaining. Not sure what that's about.

Also I noticed under Phone Network Lock, it shows "Unlocked" for Network Subset and Service Provider. Is that the same as an "Unlocked phone"?
    you have to know your carriers code first, then reset it to your own password
    10-20-14 12:16 PM