First let me say I read alot about phones and watch/read alot of reviews. I was a blackberry user way back and got tired of them losing their way and switched to Android. In the last 4 years I've probably used 30 Android phones. I have been itching to return to Blackberry, especially since John Chen took over.

I recently came upon a Z30 after reading about it for almost a year. I put aside my Note 3 and switched over to the Z30. These are my thoughts on Blackberry and the Z30 in particular.

First the points that are unquestionable:
    The Good
    -Z30 has the best speaker set of any phone Ive used, this is not even close.
    -Z30 has the best reception, wi-fi, mobile network of any phone I've used, again not even close.
    -Z30 has the best notification, vibration alert of any phone I've use.
    -Z30 has the clearest sound both on my end and other persons end period.
    -Z30 is fast, I mean this is not even close again. This phone has no lag, the responses are immediate and snappy.
    -Bed mode is great, this should be standard on all phones. Excellent.
    -Camera is so fast, but not that sharp

The not good
    -Z30 camera is not good, in daylight with proper setting the pictures are good. At night in low light the pictures are grainy, not sharp. This is too bad because the camera itself functions quickly, really quickly.
    -Z30 home pages are not customizable. The grid layout of tiles looks like Apple. Why cant I change it how I want, if I want a big weather widget, or a clock widget why cant I put it on the screen?
    -Z30 keyboard is good but why cant I swipe like on Android. Not terrible just would like the option.

So having said that here is my experience for the last week with the phone. I'm not a basher or a praiser, just my thoughts and hoping that Blackberry can survive in this market.

The problem with this phone is simple. Its not a google OS. The Blackberry OS is very good, and I have no problem using it. Only when I started using this phone did I realize how much google has taken over our lives. Not being able to use the items that I take for granted on Android is a dead end for me and this phone. Its too bad because I really like the phone alot. But I cant use google drive, cant use google maps, google docs, google sheets. I cant use my heart rate monitor with endomondo because blackberry doesnt support Ant. I sideloaded Snap and have loaded a lot of Android apps that I use, the only problem is I cant upload the premium versions that i have paid for on Google play. Again you dont really think about this until you dont have them anymore.

As for a communication device this phone is a home run. However if you are looking for a little entertainment consumption this is where you lose out. The music player is really basic. Now youll probably have people saying this is a business phone, but it would be nice to have a little more colorful/powerful music player.

I am torn between trying to stick it out with this phone or going back to the Note 3. If Blackberry had this phone out say when Galaxy 2 or 3 was coming out I think we would be looking at Blackberry having 20-25% market share of the smart phone market. It is very good hardware.

This phone would keep people using Blackberry but I dont think it would switch people that never used Blackberry from Apple or Android, not enough of them anyway. If you need high security and use the phone through your corporate environment then this phone and Blackberry in particular are amazing. If your not so concerned about security and are willing to give up a little then Android will do everything you could imagine.

For the time being I will go back to the Note 3 but really hope that Blackberry can somehow close that app gap.
    modbro, srfinva and 2ndHalfCor like this.
    09-01-14 11:27 PM
    I agree with you on some of the points. I got a gift of a Garmin Vivofit and it doesn't work with my Z10 LE. I downloaded the Android version of the software but couldn't get it to Sync. However reading Garmin support, other Android devices could also have problem. I got it to work with my wife's iPhone but even that took a few tries.

I am hearing however the newer version of the OS 10.3.1 will have better Android compatibility which I believe will help with these type of issues.

I also don't like the build in music player, but it is "good enough". My experience with BlackBerry software is that they are good, but miss a little something to make it great.

However as a communication device (email, social media), my BlackBerry rocks. I love the hub and the overall interface.

I am waiting for the Passport to see if I will go that path. Otherwise I am holding onto my Z10 LE until it breaks down and will investigate the market when it does to see which way I will go.
    09-01-14 11:40 PM
    It's nice that you like the Z30, but being tied to Google is not an issue if you aren't tied to Google in the first place. Not everyone will have the same experience as you in that regard, but you do speak for a great number of people coming from Android. I see you also miss having widgets. Good native apps utilize active frames. I could leave the weather app open along with my data usage counter and my battery analyzer open at all times and only the active frame on the home screen updates and uses CPU/memory. It isn't beautiful but it does the job for information on the fly. Thanks for the honest opinion.

Posted via CB10
    lift, srfinva, jaydee5799 and 2 others like this.
    09-01-14 11:53 PM
    totally agree with quick points of OP.

the only few things which I have issue is the camera, i don't know what is the problem, maybe is hardware, or maybe the software about noise reduction.

At the end, the picture quality is not good enough in dark situation, or even day light sometimes can see a lot of noise on picture. I have a sony Nex5 camera, initially at the shot moment, it looks fuzzy, but after 2 sec, they seems to process the picture become excellent. it is just weird.

Please play some catch up of taking pictures, please
    09-02-14 12:03 AM
    This is an excellent example of how binding ecosystems can be. I understand how uneasy OP must feel without the Google stuff he is accustomed to. For that same reason, some iOS users I know just don't want to switch, because they have their i-this and i-that set up just so, within that very closed iOS world.
    On the other hand, one of my friends just got so fed up with the Apple shackles, he started using a Z30 yesterday, so it might backfire with others as well.

To me, Google is a search engine and one dummy email account I use for subscriptions where I am not sure if they will respect the privacy settings or just spam me. I made the conscious decision NOT to become tied to that system, partially because I wanted to be able to switch, partially because I just don't trust the fekkers. That won't be the case for a lot of Android users, and that is a challenge indeed. However, for those looking for productive, secure, non-restrictive systems with a fair compatibility for 3D party apps, BB10 is unbeatable.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 12:28 AM
    @Trout,

'home screen is not customizable, the grid layout looks like apple" and you claim to have used 40 android phones in 4 years. We're you born just four years ago? Have you nit noticed that the grid layout has been around..

WinCE devices like HP Jornada, Casio Casseopia, etc
    Palm Os 1,2,3,4 etc including Sony devices that licensed their OS. Pocket PC and PE devices like the Compaq iPaq before HP bought them.

The icon grid has been around a very very LONG TIME and like I said since WinCE devices which pre date BlackBerry devices like the 850 model which makes me vexed when a BlackBerry fan or the original Co CEO's claim they where the first smartphones which is completely false! Record shows the facts and I personally used those devices before the 850 was available on Rogers Cantel their first carrier.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    CherokeeMarty likes this.
    09-02-14 12:39 AM
    Two issues with the Z30 that nearly make it a non-starter for my new handset.

- Custom contact fields are not available. If an individual contact has more than 1 mobile, home, work, or any other type of phone number you will not be able to distinguish which one is which. The following contact is impossible to setup on the Z30.

[Opinion] The Truth about Z30-s-4g-phone.jpg

- You are not able to delete selected text messages from an individual. Say you have 100 text message from John and you want to delete 99 of them, you will have to execute 297 individual screen actions in order to delete each of the 99 individually. On Android this is 104 screen actions to delete all 99 at once.

What a waste of $350 and several days to get setup and working.
    09-02-14 12:57 AM
    Any former webOs users with this phone? I went from a Pre to a veer to a Pre3, but now I'm thinking of switching again.
    09-02-14 12:59 AM
    Many great points from the OP. This phone and the Z10 are just beautiful touch screen devices with a fast and buttery OS!

The Good:

The battery on the Z30 and the new PASSPORT are likely the direction BlackBerry will continue to go for it's demanding clientele.
    The Hub and message notifications are simply top notch, and sometimes this gets overlooked.
    The keyboard in my opinion is simply one of the best touchscreen keyboards on the market. The Z30 SPEAKERS are definitely one of, if not the best on any device.

The bad:
    Camera needs to be better. Great to use, but not always easy to get some decent pictures at night. Daytime photos are usually pretty good though however.
    Photos and Folders needs to be better. Love the options, but they don't all work as they should! Viewing by date works great, but the "Camera Album" shows from the oldest pictures first!?

Via The BlackBerry Z30 experience!
    09-02-14 01:03 AM
    If you enjoy your life being over run and legitimized by Google BB10 is not for you. For everyone else BlackBerry is fair game. IMO one of BlackBerry's strongest points.
    09-02-14 01:08 AM
    I just updated my Z10 to a Z30 yesterday. I paid $350 AUD from a Telstra shop for an ex demo in perfect condition. I love the extra features it has over the Z10 such as bigger screen, faster processor, better speakers, far better battery, USB OTG, Miracst, etc. I was reluctant to upgrade as I am waiting for an all new touch but as there has been no info as yet, I decided to bite the bullet and grab the Z30. Glad I did, this phone is freakin' awesome. The only let down is the availability of a decent protective case with a belt clip. I have ordered a Trident case and a leather pouch with belt clip from eBay.
    Yes, I agree with OP's as far as camera is concerned, it is the same on my Z10, but being used to it, I can live with it as no phone is perfect in every aspect. The OS is simply brilliant, far better than iOS and android, and will be better again with 10.3.1. As for the App gap, I believe Blackberry have pretty much addressed this with the ability to load Android apps if desired, not that I have many installed as I can usually find most required apps on BB world, and I simply don't trust anything android.
    raddn5 likes this.
    09-02-14 01:55 AM
    Basically you complained about something you knew from reading the reviews. But the Google services is a b*tch to work on BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 02:05 AM
    Any former webOs users with this phone? I went from a Pre to a veer to a Pre3, but now I'm thinking of switching again.
    Hi i have had Z30 since october 2013,excellent phone does everything i need,
    i still have pre 3 and Touchpad and use it occasionally as webOS was ahead of other systems
    at the time, BB10 seemed a good replacement and Z30 is probably the best one.
    it's worth a look try one out.
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    09-02-14 02:15 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have at&t as a carrier. Does the at&t navigator work on the z30?
    09-02-14 03:58 AM
    I came from Google to BB10, and while the OP makes some good points the Z30 has more than satisfied my needs. BTW, there are apps in BlackBerry World that will help take the edge off of your need for most Google services, Ex: BeMaps Pro for your navigation needs.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 08:04 AM
    For the record the bb10 keyboard is superior to the Swype keyboard on android. The ridiculous amount of typos I get from android users...
    Once you get used to word flicking you will understand how much better this keyboard is. Predictive text is also very powerful

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn, lift and NotGoodIMO like this.
    09-02-14 08:14 AM
    Google maps works great on my Z30. I just sideloaded it. No problem.
    NotGoodIMO and t_recycler like this.
    09-02-14 08:32 AM
    You forgot to mention that it has a poor screen. It has low brightness so they can claim a long battery life and overall is bad compared to other flagships.
    blackmoe likes this.
    09-02-14 10:44 AM
    Wondering when a mod can come along and rename this thread, "My opinions about Z30"

Richard
    09-02-14 10:50 AM
    Music player is improved in 10.3
    srfinva and NotGoodIMO like this.
    09-02-14 10:56 AM
    Just curious where the "297" figure originates? Number of actions in parenthesis, as performed on my Z30 - Into the Hub (1), select Text Messages folder (1), choose "Select More" (2), select the text messages to be deleted (99), choose "Delete" (2), accept the delete (1). This is a total of 106 actions, not 297.
    ladeberry likes this.
    09-02-14 11:03 AM
    Predictive text is amazing. I've been using my Z10 for about 18 months, and I don't do a lot of texting or email with it, biut the system has "learned" me so well that I'm only having to fully type one word (of four letters or more) in TEN!! Everything else comes up in a couple of keystrokes. I gace my Z10 to an Apple fanboi last week to send a text and he was blown away, especially in comparison to what he has to put up with. Freakin' amazing is it.
    09-02-14 11:05 AM
    Interesting point regarding the custom contact tags. No reason not to allow it. I imagine a "long press" on the field type could allow the extra description if BlackBerry programmed it that way. Perhaps in a future update..
    09-02-14 11:05 AM
    Yes. Try it. I think you'll find that BlackBerry OS 10 is a suitable continuation of Palm's vision with webOS. Great browser, Universal Search, merged contacts, and a keen sense of enhancing productivity and letting you do the most in the fewest steps. BB OS 10 is great. I was missing webOS until I got a Z10 (and now a Z30.) The Z30 would be a huge upgrade from the Pre3 in every possible way.
    Sukiyaki and BradZero like this.
    09-02-14 11:20 AM
    You forgot to mention that it has a poor screen. It has low brightness so they can claim a long battery life and overall is bad compared to other flagships.
    Plus I actually think my screen is getting even dimmer after almost a full year's use.
    09-02-14 11:25 AM
130 123 ...