Which one do you prefer and why? In your honest opinion, which one is bulkier?
    03-07-15 06:27 PM
    They are both pretty bulky if you ask me. I tried the Aegis and didn't like it cause it made my phone three times the size in thickness. I have never used an Otterbox either but they look like bricks...lol
    if you need the coverage and safety then maybe some of the folks here can help you.
    03-07-15 06:44 PM
    I'm interested in the answer as well. Have been looking to get a nice, sturdy case for my Z30.

From some looking in the forums, I have heard that you can't charge your Z30 with the Commuter unless you cut a piece off... one of the rubber plugs I believe?

Posted via CB10
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-07-15 07:03 PM
    They are both pretty bulky if you ask me. I tried the Aegis and didn't like it cause it made my phone three times the size in thickness. I have never used an Otterbox either but they look like bricks...lol
    if you need the coverage and safety then maybe some of the folks here can help you.
    Thanks. I see how both can be bulky, I too had the Aegis case and thought it was a little thick, but was curious how it compared to the Commuter. I've been wearing my z30 naked, but I was looking for some grip. I had the bumper case and a clear gel case, but didn't provide the grip i was looking for.
    03-07-15 07:12 PM
    I have a Commuter for my Z30. It's quite bulky (5/8" thick, 5-3/4" long, 3-1/8" wide installed on my phone) and incredibly stiff when new. You'll really have to use some force to push the external buttons for a couple of months until it loosens up some.

I haven't tried the Trident Aegis for this phone however I used one on my Nexus 5 as an OtterBox wasn't available for that phone and I must say that case was much nicer than my current Commuter. Noticeably less bulky and the rubber wasn't stiff whatsoever. Great case IMO as the first non Otterbox/Lifeproof case I've used on a phone. Again I can't speak to the quality of the Z30 Aegis as I haven't tried it yet.

Opening for the charging port on the Commuter case is definitely on the small side. I use some old Samsung cables I had kicking around which are quite slim and fit fine. PlayBook charger definitely requires some trimming though, as does the average HDMI cable if you want to plug one of those in. My USB OTG dongle required no trimming so it's entirely hit and miss.

In almost all cases a quick shave with a utility knife on the charger plug end will ensure that any cable will fit. Alternatively you could choose to modify the case slightly and cut away the plastic strip above the charger port ensuring that a larger plug will fit without damage. Downside to this method is there won't be any way to hold the flap closed that covers your charging/hdmi port.
    Protection is great with the Commuter case but, it does come with its share of downsides. If you're looking for something that requires zero modification of either case or charging cables this won't be the case for you.
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-07-15 07:38 PM
    I think the commuters are to slippery with the plastic being on the outside. I prefer the defenders with the rubber outer shell. Both are about the same size anymore. Defender has a holster. Trident is like a commuter with the outer shell being plastic. I liked the color options but think it's to slippery. Better question may be which is still available. It seems case makers have moved on.

Posted via CB10
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-07-15 08:12 PM
    Good point raised in post above.
    Both cases are still currently available from Amazon with the Trident being significantly cheaper at the moment.

Otterbox has discontinued production of the Commuter, just leftover stock available for purchase where you can find it.

Not sure if the situation is the same with Trident Aegis but, it is a much easier case to find in stock at more retailers.
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-07-15 08:27 PM
    Commuter case is bulky but it provides good protection for sure.

The problem with the commuter case is that it has a major design flaw. When you plug in a charger, the flap that covers the two ports is constantly pushing on the charger. This constant stress may eventually wear out the charging port.

Posted via CB10
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-08-15 07:52 AM
    I use a bumper type case purchased on CB for about $5.
    Offers some protection against drops on the corners or edges.
    Just my choice.
    Hate bulking up a beautiful slim design.

Posted by Jerbru
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-08-15 08:30 AM
    Another excellent point raised about the charging port flap.

Having not experienced this issue myself I can say this. After 5 months of use my flap has developed a significant crease on the outside. It will now stay almost fully open by itself.

I have not suffered any damage to the charging or hdmi ports yet and don't believe I will develop any issues related to this in the future as the flap is no longer stiff enough to put any pressure on the cables.

It is initially a very stiff case however it does loosen up over time. It took me about 2 months of heavy use to be able to soften it up.

I have also read reports of the charging port flap breaking off after a while due to the stiffness of the rubber itself. I see no evidence of this with my particular case but, I thought it might be worth mentioning.

As I mentioned above I'm using slim charging cables which don't interfere with the case itself. This does actually allow the flap to put pressure on my cables and perhaps damage the charging port. If you were using a thicker cable that you had to shave slightly to clear the case I don't believe the pressure of the flap would be an issue as the plastic strip above the charging ports would hold the cable in place. I would be more worried about physically damaging the port trying to line the cable end up every time you plugged it in with very little clearance.
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-08-15 10:20 AM
    I bought the trident and shelved it. Wayyyy to think for me. 5/8 inch.

Posted via CB10
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-08-15 10:40 AM
    I had both
    I will say Otterbox commuter case

Posted via CB10
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-08-15 05:04 PM
    Otterbox commuter
    But be careful when taking off case

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Z30
    Last edited by faruki3192; 03-18-15 at 04:49 PM.
    cornhuskur likes this.
    03-12-15 09:55 AM