I'll be travelling to St-Malo and Paris in the beginning of May with my Z30 STA100-5

Does anyone know what LTE Bands are used by Orange or SFR? It says on Wikipedia that they both use band 7 and 20 but it's not clear which one they use and in which region

The Z30 being only compatible with Band 7, I'm wondering if I should also bring my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:28 AM
    Quite honestly and out of curiosity, would you really need LTE speeds?

Unless you must stream data, or whatnot, your Z30 has all the 4G bands (Europe, North America) so you're safe in that respect and 4G is quick enough for most tasks (downloading etc).

In fact, the speed difference isn't noticeable between LTE and 4G for daily mundane tasks like checking email, facebook, twitter, reading news, checking stocks, etc...

Added benefit of keeping it on 4G is energy consumption factor. LTE uses much more energy, your battery will drain faster...

03-24-15 09:46 AM
    I was in Paris last September with my Z30 and used Orange as My provider. Good coverage, fast... I can't remember if it was LTE or 4G.
    Office near Monmarte had good staff.

BlackBerry Passport and loving it!
    03-24-15 09:50 AM
    In France, 4G is LTE, and 3G is H+.

I'm on LTE all the time here in Montreal and never had an issue with my battery. I find stuff to be snappier. Also I intend to use BBM video in France, so LTE would be great.

It's my understanding that most carrier in France deploy Band 7 for LTE, especially in urban areas, which is compatible with the Z30. It's actually the only LTE Band that they use that is compatible with the Z30

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 10:33 AM
    Since I'll be there in June with a VERIZON Z30, does that make any difference? Not sure what bands the Verizon model supports.
    03-24-15 12:21 PM
    I'll be travelling to St-Malo and Paris in the beginning of May with my Z30 STA100-5

Does anyone know what LTE Bands are used by Orange or SFR? It says on Wikipedia that they both use band 7 and 20 but it's not clear which one they use and in which region

The Z30 being only compatible with Band 7, I'm wondering if I should also bring my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Used my z30 there a few months ago on orange lte. Worked perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 02:39 PM
    Since I'll be there in June with a VERIZON Z30, does that make any difference? Not sure what bands the Verizon model supports.
    Swipe from the top, go to settings, about... at the bottom it will show you the supporter bands. Looks like you need Band 7 in France.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-15 08:52 PM
    Swipe from the top, go to settings, about... at the bottom it will show you the supporter bands. Looks like you need Band 7 in France.

Posted via CB10
    UMTS: 1, 2, 5, 6, 8
    LTE: 4, 13

But I believe it will work. At least other bb phones I've had worked in Germany, Austria and Italy.

Interesting, my Z10 (oh, just realized there is no sim in the z10)

UMTS 1, 8
    LTE: 13
    03-25-15 12:49 AM
    Your phone will work anywhere in the world. It will "hook" up to the most appropriate network where ever you are. Automatically. It will go down back to HSDPA in the most remote places (if available) where other phones have long gone "dead". Stop stressing and enjoy your trip.

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-15 02:35 AM
    Your phone will work anywhere in the world. It will "hook" up to the most appropriate network where ever you are. Automatically. It will go down back to HSDPA in the most remote places (if available) where other phones have long gone "dead". Stop stressing and enjoy your trip.

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    Hi!
    My worry isn't if the phone would work or not! I was questioning if I'll be able to connect to their LTE Bands with the STA100-5

So nope, I'm not stressed. But Ideally I would prefer to have LTE

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:22 AM
    At the price Verizon charges when "overseas" I won't be using it much (off of wifi) but I just want it to work on the occasions when I want a phone. I might acquire a local sim but that's not certain.
    03-25-15 11:31 AM
    At the price Verizon charges when "overseas" I won't be using it much (off of wifi) but I just want it to work on the occasions when I want a phone. I might acquire a local sim but that's not certain.
    I'm not sure how it works with Verizon phones, but I think you need to "unlock" the GSM part of the phone first.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 01:17 PM
    the answer to this is much more complex than working out what "band" the carrier operates.normally, it's never one particular frequency or band all of the time. a city can have 3 band 7 sites, and 2 band 20 for example. Unless you know accurately where you're headed in the region, and you have the operators ran maps available to you, you won't really know.HSPA speeds in Europe are actually really good, and I had great service along the west coast down to the Spanish boarder traversing between Bouygues and SFR networks.
    03-25-15 01:25 PM
    I'm not sure how it works with Verizon phones, but I think you need to "unlock" the GSM part of the phone first.

Posted via CB10
    Verizon's bb10 phones are sold UNlocked. I don't know what possessed that level of generosity but that is currently the way it is. In the past if you were a customer of a certain length and had a paid account, they would unlock it after a call.
    03-25-15 01:52 PM
    Verizon's bb10 phones are sold UNlocked. I don't know what possessed that level of generosity but that is currently the way it is. In the past if you were a customer of a certain length and had a paid account, they would unlock it after a call.
    Well it's sort of half unlock really I guess... cause the CDMA part of the phone can only work with Verizon. Lol

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-15 02:32 PM